DIY Plexiglass lids

Well, the title kinda says it. The tank I bought had a freshwater light on it, and with all the Hang On Skimmer/filter setup I ahve, the glass tops that came with it no longer work.

Is it worth cutting down on evap to build a plastic lid? I mean, I made one already, but my dog stepped on it and broke it in half.

If its perfectly healthy to continuously top off a tank, I'm alright with that. I just need to go invest in a RO/DI system so I don't drive down to Addison from Plano just to get top off water :)

Thanks in advance!

(btw its a 55gal tank with just corals in it right now)

It seems that most of the members in this forum do not use lids. Most systems are enclosed in a canopy and eggcrate to contain any jumping fish. I think the disadvantage of lower oxygen transfer and impeded lighting are enough reason to ditch the tops. And YES we all top off everyday in some way or another via Auto top off, kalk, manually or whatever.

I my self have no lids, and never have, just open back canopy's

Yeah, plus I think I would have a tough time finding hardware that wouldn't corrode or rust with saltwater splashing on it.

my light (260w PC Actinic/White) is on stands that only get it about 5" off the top of the water. My stand did not come with a canopy or anything nicie like that, I've been kinda sad. Though, it is kinda nice to look down into the tank as well :)