Recent content by Nicki

1. N

Female anthias turning into male

We have had two female and one male anthias in our 400 hundred gallon for 3.5 years. The large female has now turned into a male and is beating up the male. I am curious why you think this happened after so long. I wonder if the male is getting old or something and she senses that. What do...
  2. N

New Monster Sump/Refugium

Well my husband may have over did it again. He just installed our new sump and refugium this past weekend. The sump in the back room can hold 330 gallons and the refugium under the tank can hold 180 gallons. This increased our overall water volume to around 700 gallons. The refugium is...
  3. N

Growth on gill (What to treat with)

My sargassum trigger has this growth on his gill that has been slowly getting bigger. I noticed it probably about 3 months ago. I tried getting some help from Reef Central then but didn't get any. I did some research that suggested it might be a goiter (iodine deficiency). So I have been...
  4. N

New 400 gallon starphire tank-updated

My husband and I used to maintain our own tanks. So after our daughter was born we decided it would be easier if we combined our three tanks (215, 150, and 70 gallons) into one. After a lot of work the new tank is finally up and running. My husband still has a few things to work on like the...
  5. N

Seahorse stung by rabbitfish

I had a weird experience recently. I thought I would share it with you. I think one of my seahorses got stung by my rabbitfish. I had to temporarily put my good sized rabbitfish in my seahorse tank until my new tank gets set up. Two days ago I noticed one of my seahorses all of a sudden start...
  6. N

My new addition-Helfrich's firefish

I finally got the fish I always wanted. It is called a Helfrich firefish. This is the first one I have ever seen in a pet store. After a quick quaruntine he is now living in my seahorse tank.
  7. N

My Babies are one year old today.

Today is my seahorses birthday. I raised them from babies so I am very proud of them. I have 5 that made it out of 30. They are spoiled. I set up a 70 gallon for them to live in after they were old enough to be moved out of their fry tank. Here are some pictures. These two are of my two males.
  8. N

Japanese Swallow Tail

I had a female for a long time. It was a great fish. It eat well, got along with other fish and didn't nip at anything. I have seen males occassionally. I think the last place I saw one was at Exotic Aquatics. The males are more expensive.
  9. N

Anyone looking for dwarf seahorses?

I saw that Dallas North Aquarium got some in today. I don't know if they meant to order them or not but I am sure they probably won't be able to care for them. They need to be put in a small tank without a filter (a sponge filter will work) and be fed newly hatched brine shrimp. They look...
  10. N

Seahorse color change pic

I am taking care of Joanna and Doug's baby seahorses while they are on vacation. Their babies are from the same batch as mine. Their 4 babies are dark brown and mine are yellow and light brown. I thought the difference in colors was interesting. Here is a picture if I can get it to work...
  11. N

Hammerhead float - Has anyone tried one?

[Has anyone tried a hammerhead float? I was wondering if it worked better then the mag-float. I am trying to figure out what to get my husaband for his birthday.]
  12. N

Chiller - Best one

[What is the best chiller for your money? Thanks.]
  13. N

Pregnant shrimp - Is this possible without a partner?

[Can shrimp get pregnant with out a partner? My golden coral banded shrimp is pregnant and the only shrimp with it is a camel shrimp. I have had both for two years.]
  14. N

Watchman goby identity - What type of watchman goby is this?

[Can anyone tell me what type of watchman goby this is? http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=494841] Edited By Nicki on 1104384286
  15. N

Has anyone ordered from ocean rider lately? - I am wondering what the wait is.

[I am wondering how long of a wait it is for seahorses right now. I know their website says immediate shipping on some seahorses but they always fib on their shipping time frame.]