Recent content by Freshandsalty

1. F

Anyone built a simple(nice looking) canopy?

I want to build a canopy for my 58g. It's the standard 36"x18" Oceanic RR tank. Ive been putting off building the canopy for over a year now, so it's time to get busy. I currently have two 150w hqi pendants hanging over the tank, but I want to have it set up with two metal halides and two T12...
  2. F

The missing Sixline is found!

My tank is not yet covered(I will be constructing a screen this weekend to cover it), but i hadn't had any problems with fish jumping until my sixline wrasse went missing 2 weeks ago. I looked all around the tank and even in the overflow briefly but didn't see him anywhere. Yesterday I was...
  3. F

My first experience with RTN?

Well I am sad to report that one of my favorite little corals has suffered from rapid tissue neucrosis it appears. It is my green milli that was starting to grow really fast that seemed fine yesterday, then first thing this morning was nothing more than a bright white skeleton. Here's a...
  4. F

Koralia shorting out

So I was doing a water change yesterday and had my hands in the water when I noticed a tingling on a small cut on my finger every time I put my hand in the water. After unplugging each peice of equipment one by one I found it was my koralia 3 that's less than one year old. I've read these are...
  5. F

ID please

Anyone know what this is? I think it's supposedto be a Acropora Tenuis, but I'm not sure. alt=""> Thanks.
  6. F

Calcium help please.

I started my tank with Coralife salt and I was not aware of how high the calcium was in that mix. According to this site http://aquariumwatertesting.com/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf the average calcium is around 450 with salinity at 30 parts per thousand, but my water tests at 660 at 1.026. I have...
  7. F

Micro bubbles killing monti cap.

So I've been having a lot of micro bubbles caused by the anti syphon hole in the return line being too high and it's above the water line doing it's own Venturi thing. I need to fix this. Anyhow, where the bubbles get trapped on the underside of my monti cap the constant air under there has...
  8. F

Coraline bleached

I got a bunch of new rock a few months back that was covered thick with really purple coraline. At the time I had a 250W HQI fixture, Phoenix 14k bulb and 2 T5 actinics for lighting. I changed lights and now I have two 150W coralife pendants and they are burning the coralife 14k bulbs. I have no...
  9. F

Wierd worm or possible starfish?

I wish i could get a pic of these, but they are too small for my camera to focus on. They look like a really thin worm, thicker than a hair and fuzzy looking. It is hanging out of my chaeto in the fuge and it kind of jerks every 5 or 10 seconds. I can see two of them and they're pretty long...
  10. F

Slime algae growing on birdsnest

I have had 2 little spots where this algae has been growing on a birdsnest coral and I can't seem to get it to stop. I pick it off and have increased the flow on it but it just keeps growing back in the same spot. This is a purple polyp birdsnest and it's lost quite a bit of color the past few...
  11. F

Refractometer help

I have a question about my refractometer. When I look through the eyepiece and I'm supposed to read where the blue and white sections meet, the problem is that there are three lines of blue. Under the big blue section there are two thin blue lines. Do I just read where the big section of blue is...
  12. F

Ryan's 58G Reef

This is my first time setting up a reef ready system and I have to say I'm pretty excited! I've managed to keep a 35G hex non-rr with sps going good for about a year now, and I'm ready for the step into the wonderful world of sumps and refugiums. I bought this setup used and it is almost 4 years...
  13. F

Drain foaming into sump

I'm having a problem with the drain from the overflow foaming in the sump. The drain line is 1 1/4". I have vinyl tubing going into pvc, then a tee going to refugium, with a valve after the tee on both the drain and fuge line for more control. I had a diy bubble tower with rubble and it wasn't...
  14. F

Overflow fluctuating

Okay this is my first RR tank and I've read a lot about sumps and overflows and such but I seem to have a problem. I bought the tank used and all it had was 1 1/4" nylon tubing draining into a 10G sump, then the flow went over a baffle, then the next area was a refugium zone, then it flowed over...
  15. F

Best way to clean dried tank???

I recently bought a lightly used 58G glass tank that I'm tying to get going, and it has quite a lot of dried coralline on the back and sides of the glass, as well as the overflow. I have taken all the sand out, and I've been trying to scrape it with a hard plastic scraper and it is pretty tough...