Recent content by butchseaman

1. B

Rising Nitrate Issue

I have recently had a rise in my nitrates. They have always seemed to hover around 10ppm but now I am seeing between 20 and 40 ppm. Has any one tried a nitrate sponge and how well do they work..... I have cut back on feeding and I am skimming aggressively. Any suggestions would be appreciated….
  2. B

Holey Rock Question

I am putting together my sea horse tank and was palnning to use some of the white holey rock from whiz-q. I know there has been of talk of this ... but is there there anyone who actually has used or is using this rock. Planning on getting about 50lbs of the holey rock and seeding with 10lbs of...
  3. B

Rotifer help - Ready to start growing some

[I am ready to start trying my hand at growing rotifers. I am currently hatching brine shrimp and I have some nice phytoplankton cultures going. So now I want to get some rotifers growing. I need a starter culture if someone is willing to sell me some please.....]
  4. B

Torch coral - What is the problem

[I noticed my torch coral has turned into what looks like a ball of snot on one of it's heads. I am not sure what is happening but thought I would get some opinons from someone who knows a little more.... Is he dying... or what? See the image below]
  5. B

Drilling tank - Where to put the overflow hole

[I have a 30 gallon that i am going to drill, but first I have a couple of questions. 1. It seems to me the overflow hole will allow water to drain down into the sump thus filling it until the water level is below the hole. This does not work like the normal syphon of a HOB..? With this...
  6. B

Frag attempt - Colt coral

[I have a colt coral that I am ready to frag. Do I just cot off the branches that I want to frag? Do I need to doctor the cut areas?]
  7. B

Need advice - Ick issue

[I have a blue tang that I have quarantined with Ick 2 days ago. I am using a product called Quick Cure by Aquarium Products . She appears to be trying to hang on with shallow breathing but lying on her side. I am doing 5 gallon water chages daily in a 30 gallon tank. It is bare bottom with a...
  8. B

Cheato / caulerpa - Dying edges normal

[I added some Cheato and Caulerpa to my new refugium about two weeks ago and I have noticed some dying off with brown looking portions and just "gunk" looking stuff from the dead protion. Most is still green.... I have a spiral 75w bulb shinning 24 hours a day jsut above the refugium... Just...
  9. B

First frag - How to

[I have a Pulsing Xenia that I would like to frag for a friend. I has frag it's self once... but has attached to a rock... Do I just cut at the bottom of a stalk through the flesh..? How to get it on to another rock...?]
  10. B

Do you know this star fish - Red jewel sea star

[Was at Tranquil Scales today and saw a star they called Red Jeweled Sea Star. The problem is they know nothing about this star or if it's reef safe. If anyone knows anything about this critter please let me know... I think I would really like to purchase but I am afraid it may do a number on...
  11. B

New refugium - What to put in it !

[Did some modifications over the weekend and finished removing all the bio-balls. I now have a refugium and was planning to use calerpa to help control the nitrates. My question is.... Should I put some live rock in ....? Should I put some live sand in ....? I expect I would see some ammonia...
  12. B

Blue tang concern - Lies on side

[I bought a blue tang yesterday and I noticed today while the lights were off she was lying on her side. It looked like she was sick or having a hrad time. I have been watching her through the day and once the lights came she seems fine and was eating the brine shrimp i feed the tank. Is the...
  13. B

Emrald crab - New baby

[It looks as though the smaller of the two emrald carbs I have has hatched a baby. I noticed him this eve and the mother allowing the baby to hide under her. Now I understand why she was hiding in the small crevace for the past few days. Who else has had this happen and is there anything...
  14. B

Please help id - Little eggs

[I have noticed these little green/brown looking eggs showing up on my Live Rock. They look like little egg balls and appear to be a perfect sphere in shape. Can someone tell what these are and if i need to be concerned.] Edited By butchseaman on 1112643808
  15. B

Closed loop - Too much pump ..?

[I am about to put a closed loop in using a SCWD much like what Marc has allready done. I am planning on using a mag18 in place of the mag7, but go to thinking this might be too much pump....... any one used a mag18 with this, and if so what did you think.?]