Still guessing.

Crotalus

Premium Member
My fish are doing great, the few frags I have are a different matter.I think I have the water right, except for maybe PH.? The test strips don't agree with each other and the PH meter I just bought isn't calibrating right.I think my problem is light, which is why I am looking forward to borrowing the light meter.I have a 7' tank and I have two Reef Bright 72" 90W lights.? One 50/50 white blue and one all blue.? I've been moving the frags around trying to find a place the make them happy.? The GSP was growing, but now it's retreating.? The new Toadstool lasted 3 days then just closed up.? The Red People Eater just peeks out a little.?? I think the Zoantha is history.?? Only the Zenia is actively growing.Then I just turned the white light off completely.? The Red People eater and Toadstool have come out.? I think I have too much light now.? I've bought two cheap LED Dimmers and will start playing with light levels.?I also just ordered a RO/DI filter.? I'm going to get there or go broke.

Sorry to hear that. What are the water parameters?The corals you mention do not require as much light as an SPS coral; I would think the lights should be sufficient for those corals (Keep in mind that I never owned Reef Brights and I do not know their output).I'm in Coppell and can lend a hand in checking the water parameters if needed.

It's worth the money to buy some quality test kits instead of trying to decipher those test strips. I found this video useful when choosing which ones to buy: https://youtu.be/E6xyaHo91S0

Don at Saltwater Paradise said all my Parameters were perfect except the PH was a little low.?Don also recommended the lights I use as they are what he uses, but I think they are too much.? That's why I ordered dimmers.? With everything on the corals close up.?The Ammonia and Nitrite are zero.Nitrate about 20.Lifeguard strips say my Alk is 7.? API says it is 14PH is 8Phosphate is .5Calcium is 560.I just repeated the tests.?? The Alk is high because I tried to use Sodium bicarb to raise the Ph.? I was only partially successful and now I don't trust the pen meter I bought.? It doesn't want to calibrate right.?? I have a message in to the seller.? It reads the 4.0 and 6.86 buffer solutions but insists distilled water is 6.77 and the 9.18 buffer is 8.77.The fight goes on.?? Thanks for answering.

You should be calibrating your ph meter with 7.0 and 10.0 solution for saltwater. ?That is probably why you are seeing odd numbers there. ?I doubt that you have too much light using reefbrites, but if you are finding better results with less light I would say keep it that way. ?

It is a automatically calibrating meter.? 4.00 and 6.86 are what it is looking for.? There is a 9.18 buffer that comes with it, but I haven't been able to figure out how to use it for calibration.That's why I'm hoping the seller will respond soon.? He sent me an Email with a video, but the URL was blank.

Posted by: Crotalus?It is a automatically calibrating meter.? 4.00 and 6.86 are what it is looking for.? There is a 9.18 buffer that comes with it said:
Is there a small flat head screw visible anywhere? That the common method, I believe.

I wouldn't worry about running the tank at pH 8. You should try to reduce the nitrates and phosphates instead of worrying about pH. In the process, adjust the lights to where the corals are happy. IME the API KH kit will run high from the actual number. I?also have the API kit that I use?only for quick tests; it says it's 10 when my Elo's kit says is 8.5RickyB

Open a window and get some fresh air in the house. ?Increased O2 levels will raise pH. "Closed up" homes with little to no outside air exchange tend to have high Co2 levels, which will dramatically lower pH.

Posted by: Mike R?Open a window and get some fresh air in the house. ?Increased O2 levels will raise pH. "Closed up" homes with little to no outside air exchange tend to have high Co2 levels said:
I keep seeing that comment.? We do have the doors open quite a bit.? The top of the aquarium is open and I have a fan pulling air out of the sump area.?? Hard to believe one person and a small dog could have that much effect.?

?I don't know if you've already checked for this but excess stray electrical current can have a dire effect on corals. Steve did a program on this a few meetings ago and I think he said anything over 5-10 mA is bad. For sure if you can feel a tingle when you put your hand in the tank it's too much.

No tingles, but even if there were, there's not a lot I can do about it.? These old houses don't have 3 prong plugs.? Only 3 things touch the water.? The return pump, the gyre pump, and the heater.? Both pumps are DC and have power supplies that should isolate the pumps.? The heater is new and made to be completely immersed.

Posted by: rickyb?I wouldn't worry about running the tank at pH 8. You should try to reduce the nitrates and phosphates instead of worrying about pH. In the process said:
I'd second this. ? My first priority would be to lower the nitrates and phosphates.

Posted by: Grant?[quote="Posted by: rickyb?I wouldn't worry about running the tank at pH 8. You should try to reduce the nitrates and phosphates instead of worrying about pH. In the process said:
I'd second this. ? My first priority would be to lower the nitrates and phosphates.? ?"]The Test Strip says the Nitrates are about 20.? API says they are at Zero.?? That's kinda confirmed because the Chaeto is growing very slowly.? That being said, I am working on it.? I ordered a RO/DI filter Monday and just had 200 Gal worth of Salt arrive.? So I will be getting rid of the Irving Water soon.? I'm sending the cheap PH Meter back today and will order a better one.? BRS seems to think PH is very important for the corals to be able to use the Calcium.?

Posted by: Crotalus?It is a automatically calibrating meter.? 4.00 and 6.86 are what it is looking for.? There is a 9.18 buffer that comes with it said:
The solutions you are calibrating with are for freshwater tanks. ?You should be using the highest and the middle solution in saltwater.

Also your Calcium level is 100 ppm too high.?Definitely calibrate pH between 7 and 10 because you are measuring in the 7.9 to 8.4 range. Calibrating to the lower 4 and 7 will give you misleading readings.Test strips aren't accurate - every time you open the jar and oxygen gets in, they deteriorate slightly. ?Have you read this article yet??http://www.melevsreef.com/node/718

This meter isn't that flexible.  It looks for 6.86 and then for 4.00.  There is no manual way to calibrate it to a different buffer.  I sent it back for credit.   I have a new one on the way.   The first one was just too inaccurate.  It was designed for drinks.The new one is a combo pH and ORP.   We'll see.Yes, I read the article.  Thanks.