RODI Auto Shutoff Valve Not Working

Grant

Premium Member
A few weeks ago, I noticed that the water on my RODI system was continuing to run even after my storage container was full. ?I have a float valve on the storage container and an auto shutoff valve on the system that's always worked fine until now. ?I also have manual valves to turn shut off the water on both the RODI and just RO output lines. ?With both of those also turned off, the water continues to run out of the waste water line.I replaced the auto shutoff valve, but that didn't change anything. ? I also put a manual valve just past the ASO (before it goes to the T connection to direct water to either the RO out or the DI canister) to eliminate anything beyond that. ? No change. ?With the water shut off directly past the "Out" connection on the ASO, waste water continues to run.Any ideas? ??Is it possible that a faulty membrane could cause this somehow? ?This is the original membrane still, so it's probably about 3 years old now. ? I'm usually reading about 3-5ppm TDS on the RO side and 0 after the DI so everything seems to be working correctly other than the ASO.?

I wouldn't think a faulty membrane would cause your symptoms since the product and waste water lines both go through the ASOV. ?Even if there was an issue with the membrane, the ASOV should still shut it off. ?Is it possible the replacement valve is also defective? ?Just about every time I've heard of or read about problems like the one you're experiencing, it's usually the valve acting up.

I suppose it's possible that I had a valve go bad and then the replacement valve was also defective. ?I'm planning on taking apart the original valve today to see if I can find anything wrong with it.

Not yet. ?I replaced some of the lines on it with new ones (that were transparent instead of solid white) and noticed that I had some air getting in the line so I replaced pretty much every piece of tubing on it to make sure everything had a solid connection and I wasn't getting any leaks anywhere. ?TDS readings are still good, it still produces water at the same rate is always has, and it still won't shut off on it's own. ??Hopefully tonight I can take both the old and new valves apart and see if I can see anything wrong with them.

I took apart the old valve but?couldn't find anything wrong it. ?There's not a lot to them but I made sure it was clean and moved freely and put it back on. ? No change.I can only assume at this point that for some reason?I'm not getting enough pressure (coming out of the canisters going into the membrane) to close the valve. ?

The automatic valve could be in backwards, it could be a normally open valve instead of a normally closed one, the power to the valve could be stuck on. They usually have a direction arrow o them.The manual valve not working completely baffles me.? I don't have a DI system yet, so I don't know how they are plumbed.

It's a pretty simple valve. ?There are 4 ports on it. ?Two have markings for in/out on the "pressure" side that feeds into the membrane. ? ?The other two ports are for after the membrane before the DI canister (or before the T fitting that lets you run just RO water if you want). ? If those two ports build up enough pressure (generally from the valve going into the water storage container closing) it pushes a rubber plunger down and cuts off the flow between the first?two ports, stopping water from going into the membrane. ?If you put it on the wrong way, you don't get any water flow at all so between that and the "in/out" markings it's pretty easy to tell if you have it connected wrong.?

The whole RODI system is from "Air, Water, and Ice". ?It was a gift, but I'm pretty sure it's their Typhoon 5-stage "Reefkeeper" model. ?All of the setups like this are mostly the same, though. ?None of the parts are really unique to this brand. ?The replacement ASO valve I bought was from Amazon and it's exactly the same part that came on the original system.

I was mainly referring to the valve itself.? I was going to try to find a spec sheet on the valve and see if there was a clue on what it takes to shut it off.Since this is a consumer product and not industrial I'm probably just being wishful though.Give me the Amazon part# and I'll go ahead and look.Mark?

<h1 id="title" class="a-size-large a-spacing-none">[Purenex ASOV Auto Shut Off Valve]</h1>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZGFAU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1?

Does your system use a pressurized holding tank?? Over time the air inside can dissolve in the water so you need to pump it up again.The valve apparently uses back pressure from the system to shut off the inflow.This explains why just turning off a manual valve doesn't work.? It takes pressure in that line to shut off the feed.

No, I don't have any kind of pressurized tank. ? The water coming out of the membrane goes through the ASO valve into a T fitting. ?One side goes to a line with a manual shut-off valve that I use for RO water. ?The other side goes into the DI canister and then out to my RODI barrel which has a float valve in it. ?Before the float valve, though, is a manual valve. ?It worked fine this way for almost 2 years and from what I understand it's a common way of setting it up. ?

Ok, then I've run out of ideas.? The float valve and the manual valve should let pressure build up and shut off the incoming water, assuming the incoming water is going the right direction through the side of the valve with the diaphragm.? It says if the control side of the valve is 2/3? of the pressure of the incoming it will shut off.? I guess you need a pressure gauge to see what is going on.https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProPlumber-Steel-Pressure-Gauge/1019025??? Here is one for $10.

I ordered a new flow restrictor today, and the pressure gauge was going to be my next step. For $10 I might just go ahead and pick one up this weekend. ?Thanks!

I have the ASOV in stock if you need one quickly. ?They do fail, but are simple to replace.

Posted by: melev?I have the ASOV in stock if you need one quickly. ?They do fail said:
Marc, thanks for the offer but I already bought a replacement valve which didn't fix the issue. ?I'm just trying to figure out what else could cause it to suddenly fail to shut off like it used to. ?

The three parts that affect it turning off:ASOVcheck valveflow restrictorUsually replacing these three parts will fix the system.?