RickyB’s 400 Gallon Custom Oceanic build

Without a picture, it's hard to tell but it sounds like you are dealing with Bryopsis. Can you google that and compare it to what you've got in your tank?

So far the fixes i found on the forums is manual removal, overdose magnesium and spot treat with peroxide. There gotta be a natural preditor. Everything is on the food chain including us humans.

Do you have any Tangs in your tank? My big ones eat hair algae even the thick kind but my small ones are the best at clearing it away cause they can get every last bit with their tiny mouths.

Bryopsis isn't hair algae. Lettuce Nudibranchs will chew it down, but they don't stay put unfortunately. I think they are very interesting looking, though. http://www.melevsreef.com/node/404

@Marc wrote:
Without a picture said:
I don't think is Bryopsis, but I may be wrong. The usual hair algae can be easily pull or scrubbed, this one attaches to the rock a little more.
I do have a medium cleaning crew and have 5 small tangs in the tank. I may need to add more scavengers in there.

I treated a small rock with Hydrogen Peroxide yesterday, amazing how easily the algae was removed.
pictures below,
alt="">
alt="">

@FatWrasse wrote:
Need to run some gfo or phosgaurd to remove your nitrates said:
Nitrates are at 0 but I will double check with a new kit.

The war begun, and I got about 70% of the rocks cleaned. I took the rocks out, and removed as much algae as I could by hand, then sprayed it with Hydrogen Peroxide and scrubbing the heck out of them with a toothbrush. Bad part is, the aquascape is no longer the way it was, so once I'm done, I will redo this puzzle.

Thanks for everyone's advice and if you have any other thoughts please share.
RickyB

Speaking of phosphates....running a GFO reactor is there a secret on keeping the darn stuff from clumping...I have tried everything and it still wants to clump....GRRRRRRRR!!!

I had algae that looked like that in my tank before the crash and Astrea snails combined with Lawn mower blenny did the job. I had about 150 snails in my 210G tank.

Hope this helps.

Holly Maccaronni. I have no where near that amount in snails only. Combined with crabs, yes.

I ended up removing most of the rocks and cleaning them with Hydrogen Peroxide. The rocks that were cleaned show no signs of algae at this time and hope it stays that way. I have a few more rocks to clean, and I will need to redo the aquascape as moving the rocks messed up my original setup. As I see some of member's tanks, I may end up using less rocks for a cleaner look.

BTW, I had never used HP for this purpose and I was amazed on how easy it was to remove the algae. The hard part was pulling the rocks out, most of them weight 20lbs + and are huge.

About a month in and no signs of the algae. Several water changes later, the corals have started to color up.

@winwar wrote:
You switched from Metal halide to Led How you like it? said:
I did not switch from MH to LED on this tank, even do I do have the MH for it, this tank was started with LED's.
Time will tell to see the actual coloration of the corals once they grow, but I think they have really good potential. I can see the corals encrusting into the rocks and some are already starting to grow. The growth of my corals was stagnant due to all my mishaps within the last year, and I can see that within 30 days that the corals have improved 100%.

Some eye candy from my old 180 running 3 - 400W and 2 - 160W VHO's.
alt="">
alt="">
alt="">
alt="">

As I was walking by the tank during a busy morning, I decided to stop and take a shot from this angle.
Sorry for the image quality, it was taken with my phone.

alt="">

Thanks.

I'm giving up on keeping 1 male Anthias. I sold one of 2 males recently and now another is turning male. :(