RickyB’s 400 Gallon Custom Oceanic build

rickyb

Premium Member
I’m ready for the comeback! I’ve been away from reefing since 2008. I started many years ago with a 75, then a 110, to a 200, down to a successful 180 AGA.

I have met a few of you during a couple of the meetings I was able to attend and some of you through these threads; Thanks for making me feel welcome! I hope to meet more of you in the near future.
I’m married to my wonderful and over understanding wife, Yeri; we have twin boys eight years old that keep us busy most of the time. We moved from Park Ridge, IL in 2008 and we are really happy here.

I’m really pumped but at the same time I think to myself; WHY am I getting into this again?

It all begins.. . I purchased a used 400G Custom Oceanic from the good Dr. here in Coppell that some of you know. Getting the tank out of his office was not easy, we had to take 3 doors with frames out and brute force of six people to move this beast, but at the end it was all worth it.

Since then I’ve been working on the tank during my spare time, cleaning the tank, sanding, staining and sealing the stand, etc.

Here is the tank before the move, it’s 72X36X36
[attachment=2]rsz_120130729_162428.jpg[/attachment]

Tank with a new background
[attachment=1]rsz_120130929_155145.jpg[/attachment]

Stand finished
[attachment=0]rsz_20131005_164611.jpg[/attachment]

[smilie=hi.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif] Welcome back!

I'm looking forward to following -- keep us posted ... it's really nice!

Welcome back. You are right, this forum really does make people feel welcome. That is a monster tank. Great job on the stand and looking forward to following your build.

Thanks all.
Last night I started working on the closet behind where the tank is going to be set and hit a power line [smilie=swear.gif]

Ordered the sand last week and received this week, 780lbs total. My lower back hurts from unpacking and moving it all.
[attachment=0]rsz_20131018_072152.jpg[/attachment]

I take it you are running a remote deep sand bed and aren't putting 7-8" of sand in the bottom of your tank?? That much sand makes me tired just looking at it.....

Looks like you and I are having fun building....let me know how your going to plumb yours as I am going to do some of the plumbing for the durso drains and returns this weekend.

@hoopsdaddy wrote:
I take it you are running a remote deep sand bed and aren't putting 7-8" of sand in the bottom of your tank?? That much sand makes me tired just looking at it..... said:
Actually is going to be a Jaubert plenum. Cleaning the sand is one step I'm not looking forward to.

@zaphod1 wrote:
Looks like you and I are having fun building....let me know how your going to plumb yours as I am going to do some of the plumbing for the durso drains and returns this weekend. said:
Yes we are. I was reading your build thread this morning. Impressive!

This weekend I was able to make some progress, the stand is in place and fixed the power line I hit, install a sink and the RO-DI unit. I leak test the sink and RO-Di and all is good.
I think the inline TDS meter is giving me false readings as well as the pressure gauge. TDS shows 185 in and 77 out. I don't know how is this possible since there is no filters or membrane installed. Do I have a magic RO-DI [smilie=smile.gif]
The gauge used to give me 80psi when connected directly at the valve split from the wall, and now shows 40psi right before the membrane housing.
[attachment=1]rsz_20131019_112001.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]rsz_20131020_164949.jpg[/attachment]

@Blue Water wrote:
Now that's a going to a sand bed! said:
LOL. I'm starting to realize that once the tank is up on the stand I'll have to lift all of this sand over 6ft to get all in there [smilie=worried.gif]

Does anyone have any recommendations for a in sump skimmer? Lots have changed since my last setup. I'm really digging the new cone skimmers but I don't know much about them and the new manufacturers.
I found these online that may work with my current sump. I'll also like to stay within the 500 range so no Deltec's [smilie=smile.gif]
Bubble Magus NAC9
Bubble Magus Curve 9
Bubble Magus BM-220A
SKIMZ SM203
SKIMZ SM253
Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS

I have a bubble maggus curve and im pretty happy with it. Not too loud, pulls out lots of gunk. I cant say anything about longevity though since ive only had it running for 4 months.

I have used a half dozen different skimmers on my past two tanks and none were nearly as good as my SRO3000. It is an amazing skimmer.

Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS gets my vote from your list. If you have the room I have this on my 270g. They have it in the 300 model and I would go with that for your setup, but you may not have the room.
http://www.saltysupply.com/Octopus-Diablo-8-Skimmer-with-DC-Controllable-Pum-p/oc9193.htm

I like the DC pump personally. Very quiet. Ramp up and down slowly. Feed mode is nice for cleaning as well. Just my thoughts. I have owned a few RO skimmers and haven't been disappointed by any of them.

@Heath wrote:
I have a bubble maggus curve and im pretty happy with it. Not too loud said:
Which model are you running?

@K_Red_Raider wrote:
Great looking tank and that sand is awesome! What kind of tank are you going to run SPS said:
90% SPS and the rest LPS and softies. I hope my husbandry skills get back to par and get close to or better to the 180 I used to have.
[attachment=0]rsz_043.jpg[/attachment]

@Wes wrote:
I have used a half dozen different skimmers on my past two tanks and none were nearly as good as my SRO3000. It is an amazing skimmer. said:
@hoopsdaddy wrote:
The SRO-5000SSS will probably fit my needs. I'm also eyeing the Skimz SM253 due to the DC pump and sumps size requirements.

It looks like you have plenty of room in that stand but... I would get the skimmer then design the sump around it. That skimmer above says it operates in 6" of water. Just keep that in mind..Sounds like it needs to be on a pretty tall skimmer stand. One thing I did not think about with my set up:
I did think to make the sump a little lower to make it easier to get things in and out but it wasn't quite enough. It works but I have to move my skimmer cup through the whole stand to bring it out the other side if I want to take the whole cup out for cleaning. If I moved my sump back an inch or two towards the wall it would come straight out the front. At some point I will probably move it but will require sawing some plumbing. I would go with the RO skimmer too.
By the way I have the Diablo DC-5500 return pump and it is quieter than my Red Dragon skimmer pump. Pretty much silent.. I am imagining that Skimmer pump would be similar.

The TDS meter may need fresh batteries, and you must have a membrane in there or at the very least a flow restrictor to get different pressure and TDS values.

The stand looks great.

From time to time I think about that Doctor and wondered how he was doing. Guess he's out of the hobby now?

@Blue Water wrote:
It looks like you have plenty of room in that stand but... I would get the skimmer then design the sump around it. That skimmer above says it operates in 6" of water. Just keep that in mind..Sounds like it needs to be on a pretty tall skimmer stand. One thing I did not think about with my set up: I did think to make the sump a little lower to make it easier to get things in and out but it wasn't quite enough. It works but I have to move my skimmer cup through the whole stand to bring it out the other side if I want to take the whole cup out for cleaning. If I moved my sump back an inch or two towards the wall it would come straight out the front. At some point I will probably move it but will require sawing some plumbing. I would go with the RO skimmer too. By the way I have the Diablo DC-5500 return pump and it is quieter than my Red Dragon skimmer pump. Pretty much silent.. I am imagining that Skimmer pump would be similar. said:
Thanks for the advice. I have a sump that I was trying to sell/trade for a larger one but I guess I would use it and modify the chambers to allow some extra room for the skimmer. I been reading about the SRO-5000SSS and everyone is really impress with it, so for now is on top of list if I can make it fit.
@kthomas wrote:
Saj has a monster skimmer available [url=http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=112547]viewtopic.php?f=52&t=112547[/url] said:
Thanks, I'll take a look.

@Marc wrote:
The TDS meter may need fresh batteries said:
Thanks Marc, I install new batteries before I started testing. I don't recall if I removed the restrictor, I will check and see what happens.
The Doc downgraded to a 26~ gallon and I don't think he will miss his tank as he is moving to a coastal area where he can go snorkeling.