Our Crazy upgrade to a 450 gallon display!

@Marc wrote:
I agree that you need all 400w bulbs over a tank that tall. Thanks for the pictures. said:
I totally think we need the 400's. Any suggestions on how to incorporate that into our light acclimation? We are at 6 hours now. Do we do change both outer bulb and back off an hour or so? Do we only do one side at a time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I depends on the reflectors. Using a PAR meter, you'd have a real number to know what it hitting your corals. At that distance, it's hard to believe you had corals bleach out - no way you're getting high PAR that deep.

@Marc wrote:
I depends on the reflectors. Using a PAR meter said:
Hmmm. I had a frogspawn low in the tank bleach and a garf mid level bleach both were in the center right under the 400. Since I cut back on the time they ran haven't had anything else bleach. But those corals in particular had been under a t5 while we moved everything. Maybe we should put the 400's in place of the 250's this weekend.

Went and got a hose to go from the skimmer collection cup to the Avast Davy Jones' super skimmate locker. It's all set up now.
pa7a9a5a.jpg
alt="">

The hose from the skimmer needs to be straight and sloped downhill to flow into the waste collector. You don't want it to have to fill up dangling tubing to get into the waste collector.

@Marc wrote:
The hose from the skimmer needs to be straight and sloped downhill to flow into the waste collector. You don't want it to have to fill up dangling tubing to get into the waste collector. said:
I'll have to work on getting it straight. Not sure yet how I'll do that.

Stand construction is finished and I got 2 coats of Kiltz on it today. Next will be painting the outside black.
na7yryby.jpg
alt="">

Looks great. Thank you for sharing your project with us.

Looking good, man that tank is a BEAST. I can't imagine trying to do maintenance on that monster. Have enjoyed following the build thus far.... keep the updates coming! [smilie=smile.gif]

I almost think that tank needs all white woodwork for some reason.

@Marc wrote:
I almost think that tank needs all white woodwork for some reason. said:
It's in our kitchen/dinette/open family room. Our appliances are black so it looks better black.

Do you have a stop on the door next to the tank? Looks like the door knob would catch the glass if opened too far. Does look like the stand might keep the knob from contacting the tank. Is that a stop at the top? I could see a kid flying through the door followed by a nasty craaaaack. The thought makes me shudder. :(

@Baldguy wrote:
Do you have a stop on the door next to the tank? Looks like the door knob would catch the glass if opened too far. Does look like the stand might keep the knob from contacting the tank. Is that a stop at the top? I could see a kid flying through the door followed by a nasty craaaaack. The thought makes me shudder. :( said:
Yes, there is a stop on that door. That's one of the first things we did. But the handle can't hit now even if the stop wasn't there because of the stand's woodwork.

Took some of the slack out of the hose from the skimmer to the locker. Wish this locker fit on one of the Red Sea pro salt buckets! It only fit on the taller buckets so there isn't hardly a height difference between the skimmer & the locker.
usepupa2.jpg
alt="">