My very first Saltwater 100g tank

Dewana

Membership Expired
So here is the setup... the lights arent staying... I'm going to change them out this weekend.

Nice set up. ... More.. We want more. ..!

~introducing fish and coral into a electronically balanced body of water since 2007~

This is what my hubby has so far underneath... :) It's ALOT louder than I was expecting... hmmmm he is going to have to do some work on that! I'm going this weekend to pick the lights, rock, sand....

Looks good so far. It may be loud if you don't have a durso drain.

Also it will get a sLime coat in the piping that will quiet it down

~introducing fish and coral into a electronically balanced body of water since 2007~

@Drew wrote:
Looks good so far. It may be loud if you don't have a durso drain. said:
I actually have two of them.... not helping. I think its the water in the overflow area that is about 3 inches lower than the water in the tank. Hubby is thinking about putting ball values to each drain line to control the level of the water in the overflow section.

@Dewana wrote:
[I]@Drew wrote:[/I][quote="Looks good so far. It may be loud if you don't have a durso drain. said:
I actually have two of them.... not helping. I think its the water in the overflow area that is about 3 inches lower than the water in the tank. Hubby is thinking about putting ball values to each drain line to control the level of the water in the overflow section."]

Dont do this!!! Disaster waiting to happen. Raise the dursos up so there is only about a 1/2" to 1" fall into the overflow

@FatWrasse wrote:
Yup raise then to like a 1" drop ~introducing fish and coral into a electronically balanced body of water since 2007~ said:
Ahhhh that could be the problem!! We will try doing that. Thanks guys!

Hello all, I'm Mike and I am Dewana's husband. Today I raised the durso drains and it totally eliminated the noise in the overflow. Thanks for the advice. The whole system overall is pretty quiet, however I would still like for the drains going into the sump to be quieter ( gurgle less ). Any advice on tricks you've found to modify drain lines.... Right angle fittings, diffusers...etc?

Hello all, I'm Mike and I am Dewana's husband. Today I raised the durso drains and it totally eliminated the noise in the overflow. Thanks for the advice. The whole system overall is pretty quiet, however I would still like for the drains going into the sump to be quieter ( gurgle less ). Any advice on tricks you've found to modify drain lines.... Right angle fittings, diffusers...etc?

The drain should be 1/2" - 1" below the water line in the sump, no further as it will cause a lot of gurgling. Plus, it will take around 14 days for the pipes to slime inside, which will lower the noise down.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Do what you did for the durso. Reduce the amount of height between the end of the drain and the water line in the sump. Make sure not to submerge the drain much or you will get air bubbles and the noise associated with that as mentioned above.

Another alternative is to install a fairly large <u>felt</u> filter sock. You will have to clean it fairly frequently though.

@Mike R wrote:

I made my drain lines where they are a 1/8-1/4" and no noise also make sure you drill a hold in your durso on top and put a tube in it and it will quiet it down some more... Like a air tube or something around 8" and adjust for desired sound.

Also if you have new pvc piping give it a little while and ghe pvc will develop a slime coat that will calm some of it down also

Hook'em2006 wrote:
Is that a DSA 100? How did you raise the durso?

Yes, it's a DSA 100.... I drained the system down to a workable level, took some detailed measurements, removed both drain tubes completely, and then cut them and installed 2- 1 1/4"unions to each drain with a small piece of PVC in between. I kept experimenting with the water level in the overflow by trying different length pieces between the unions until I achieved the desired height. Then I removed them and glued all the fittings. Virtually noise free in the overflow area.

Thanks for all the tips... We are SW noobs and appreciate any and all advice from the veterans! We are totally committed to doing the initial setup right the first time to help avoid problems down the road. And we are in no hurry... I've told myself over and over.... This is a hobby and not a project...

So we got ALOT done yesterday and this morning! We did decide to go with Real Reef, I know alot of people have opinions about that, but protecting our environment is more important to me, so I can deal with a little purple. I actually like it, you really wont be able to see it anyways 6-12 months from now from what I've read.
We went with two vega colors for lighting with the controller, and an mp40 for our power head. It's about 140lbs of rock and 80lbs of sand. I decided to hold off on the apex, for now, as my hubby really would like to get an ATO, mostly for me, since he travels for weeks at a time. Haven't tested the water yet. With Real Reef, we have no idea how it will cycle. Very little information out there on that. Some say it doesn't cycle at all, but we will see what the week brings us.
Here are some pictures I took this morning. The dust from the sand settled REALLY fast. :)