Mitch's 210 Gallon Build Log (All suggestions welcomed)

I see you're moving right along there...

Nice tank btw!

For the pump, you may want to look into a Reeflo (perhaps a dart or hammerhead). I did some research on these in the past, and liked them the best.
Best of luck!

Here a pics of the Reeflo Dart and the Tunze 6101.

DSCF0964.jpg
alt="">
DSCF0965.jpg
alt="">

I have one 6101 on each end of the tank.

Here are some pics of my live rock curing. I am also breaking in my ASM G4+ skimmer at the same time.

On the left is Fiji Totoka and right is Fiji Slab:
DSCF0966.jpg
alt="">

In this container I have Fiji Slab:
DSCF0969.jpg
alt="">

Here is a close-up shot of some of the Fiji Totoka:
DSCF0968.jpg
alt="">
DSCF0967.jpg
alt="">

The container with the skimmer was clouder than it is in the pic about 20 minutes ago. The skimmer is really rocking since I moved it from the 32 gallon Brute trashcan I have the rock in earlier this morning.

I tested my ammonia and nitrite this morning and they both were of the chart. I have never seen levels as high as when I tested this AM.

lol...
funny you mentioned the ammonia and trate levels in the tub...
I just checked my rocks in a 54g tub, and I guess I should have been paying closer attention - no ammonia, but nitrates were pretty high!!! :oops:

My rock is pretty much cured, so I'm not presently using a skimmer, but I think I am going to try to siphon out all the crud from the bottom of the tub... I'm sure that will help with the nitrates.

I was reading on curing liverock and someone had mentioned that some of the stuff at the bottom is actually good.

Today I got my Aquasurf in the mail. I should have my sump refugium tomorrow and then I can finalize my plan on plumbing. Everything is coming together nicely.

TOday I got the Aquasurf in the mail. I also received my gate valves so I did the gate valve mod to my ASM skimmer. All I can say is awesome. It is so much easier to control the level in the collection cup. I guess I will do the other two mods to the skimmer if this simple mod worked out well.

I got my calcium reactor in the mail today. I still haven't received my sump/refugium yet. I should have it most definitely by the Saturday.

I have found that you can easily increase these holes use a diamond tiped bit on a dremel. It might take some time (about 20-30 mins). If you are not familar with this process, it is great. More info can be found online.

I drill 3" holes in 10 gallon tanks this way with no cracks! You can also cut odd shapes too, and best of all, you can get everything you need at Wal-mart/Home Depot/Lowes, minus the bulkhead (which is great for those late night ideas).

@Marc wrote:

Here are some pics of the sump/refugium from Trigger Systems:

DSCF0981.jpg
alt="">
DSCF0982.jpg
alt="">
DSCF0988.jpg
alt="">

The dimensions are 56x20x16. It has built-in refugium, affluent drip cup, and frag rack in refugium. Next is deciding on lighting for the 210. I want to go with 3 Lumenarc Reflectors, 250 or 400W Hamilton MHs, and 3 electronic dimmable ballast.

My live rock is almost finished its curing process just in time for another batch to be put in its place. I bought more LR than I need to make sure that I will have enough pieces for aquascaping. I figure at the rate I am going I should have everything finalized by the end of the month. I am so ready to get this baby setup so I can enjoy it; not saying I do not enjoy the build process. :D

Nice build. Can you tell me who made the tank and stand.

I am in the market for a 180 and like the design of the canopy you have.

Thanks.

I bought the tank, stand, and canopy from Neptune's Cove on 15th and Independence. The only issue that I have with the tank is that the canopy could be a little taller to put some reflectors in. I am considering have it extended so I can put some Lumenar reflectors in there.

I've been there before, nice selection of corals. Is the tank & stand by any chance made by Oceanview?

@dbg7798 wrote:
I've been there before said:
I'm not sure exactly. I know he said some guys out of Mississippi built the tank. Everything looks to be solidly built.

By the way, started my plumbing today. I have my pump plumnbed to the return section of my sump and have started plumbing the left drain. I will post some progress pics tomorrow morning. Hopefully after everything is plumbed I will not have any leaks (NOT).

Mississippi is Oceanview. I've seen their stands at DNA, solid.

Good luck with the water test and by the way very impressed you were able to squeeze that sump in.

@dbg7798 wrote:
Mississippi is Oceanview. I've seen their stands at DNA said:
I only had to take out the center brace. I made sure that I create a mock up of the sump; even then I had some work to do. I would highly recommend to anyone wanting a big sump that is going under a tank with a stand already built to make the mock-up sump (made it very easy to put the actual sump in the stand).

Here are some pick of my drain plumbing, but first I want to show ya'll my blunders.

Blunders 1, 2 and 3:
DSCF0989.jpg
alt="">

Pump intake from sump return:
DSCF0991.jpg
alt="">

Left side:
DSCF0993.jpg
alt="">

Right side:
DSCF0995.jpg
alt="">

Center:
DSCF0994.jpg
alt="">

When planning for the plumbing, I tried to make darn sure that I can easily take out a section of the plumbing just in case of leaks, etc. On the drain alone I have like 4 unions. The Trigger Systems sump/refugium came with bulkheads, so I first was trying to plumb for the bulkheads (mistake #1). I decided to take out the bulkheads. Mistake #2 happened when almost finished on the right side drain. I had everything going good until I was gluing the union (From the pic you can see I forgot to put the lock nut on). Mistake #3 was on yet again the same plumbing (I arranged my 1 1/2 Tees wrong). Live and learn; all I could do is laugh at myself while on my lost count of how many trips to Lowes (glad I live a few blocks away).

Sometime later this week I will plumb the return section. Making sure that my initial plan will stick.

Mitch,

Visited Neptune's Cove yesterday, spoke with Bill, very nice guy.

Any chance you can post a few pictures of your stand with Canopy closed and of the top of your tank and how the cross bracing or euro bracing is done. just curious on how to place the reflectors so they will not be over any cross bracing.

On Oceanic tanks there is one cross brace about a foot wide dead center on the tank, not the best imo.

Plumbing looks very clean. You might want to consider removing one or both of the valves going into the skimmer section. One mis adjustment of clog at the valve and your tank can overflow.....

Doug are you interested in getting a 210 gallon tank like I have? If so, I would have them build a taller canopy for MHs.

@mitch91175 wrote:
Doug are you interested in getting a 210 gallon tank like I have? If so said:
What does it usually run to have a taller canopy built? My tank "footprint" is about the same as yours.