Mitch's 210 Gallon Build Log (All suggestions welcomed)

mitch91175

Premium Member
I am in the process of starting my first BIG tank build. I currently have two smaller tanks, a 75 and 92 gal. I really needed to start build log so I can get as much input as I can from members on the forum. What I want to do with the 210 is have a reef with fish. Once I finally get to the point of adding fish, well that would be a joyful day. So far I have the following:

Tank - (From Neptune's Cove)
Stand - (From Neptune's Cove)
Canopy - (Custom Built)

On order:
1/3 JBJ Chiller
Aquacontroller 3 Pro
Dimmer Lunar Simulator for AC
2 250W Heaters (Just in case needed)

My existing two tanks I want to put all the contents into the 210 once it is ready. My new tank dimensions are 84x24x24. I initially plumbed the drain with 1 1/4" PVC and the return with 3/4" PVC. After discussions with Marc, he suggested using 1.5" drain and 1" return for higher GPH.

What I would like to do with this setup is to have as much automation as possible so I can actually enjoy the reef and do maintenance when needed and not have to do maintenance and not be able to enjoy the actual experience.

I am currently looking to get a good skimmer that I would not have to modify to get better skimmate. I would rather purchase the right skimmer from the beginning so I wouldn't have to repurchase it later. So time in the future once I am comfortable with the Aquacontroller, I would like to auto dose Kalk, etc.

PLEASE HELP WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS . I have been reading so much I am getting thoroughly confused with the welt of information available. Tomorrow I will post some pictures of the actual tank, stand, and canopy.

Thanks Bimmerz. I will research that skimmer. As promised, here are some pic of the 210.

DSCF0898.jpg
alt="">
DSCF0900.jpg
alt="">
DSCF0901.jpg
alt="">

These are the tanks that I will be replacing:

DSCF0907.jpg
alt="">
DSCF0908.jpg
alt="">

Here is a mock up of the sump/refugium that I will most likely get for the 210.

DSCF0897.jpg
alt="">

I made it with cardboard as suggested by Marc to see what will fit in my 210 stand. I had to go down in size because my stand will only allow for a 44x16x16 sump without remobing any braces from the stand. I am going to investigate this further to see how I can minimize structural integrity of the stand and put in a bigger sump/refugium.

Glad to hear your going with 1 1/2" drains as Marc suggested. In addition to aloowing more flow this allows you to use PVC drain fittings, a big plus on reducing turbidity and therefore noise in the drain line. From a piping priority consider

Drain first - as dirct as posible, mimimize your elbows and when you have horizontal runs add in a slope of about 1/8 to 1/4" per foot. the slope helps the water to flow down and air to go up. I'm not a fan of spaflex on drain lines as it sags and creates turbulent spots that slow the flow and add noise.

Pump suction second - again as short and direct as posible

With the drian and pump suction laid out the pump discharge is your next consideration. Minimizing elbows definitly helps on flow but going up a line size helps even more.

Get a general lay out in mind, maybe even sketch it (like I did on my build log). Then with soem configuation figured out, use a friction loss calulator to help properly size your pump. Figure what you want to return to the tank, and add in a little more for future needs. Most good pumps will only deliver about 65-75% of rated capacity at 5'-6' vertical lift plus some friction loss.

HTH

I would start by reading all the build and project logs already posted to see what others have done. You also should try and join the tank tour coming up as it is a great place to get ideas and discuss the problems that other people have run into. The key question to ask is “if you did it all over again, what would you change or do differently and why?” That would also be a good question to ask people on the logs that have completed their projects. The very first step is to determine the location for the tank. Look at things such as is this good for viewing, maintenance chores etc. For example we located our tank in the family room for great viewing and on a wall next to the garage so that I could most of the support equipment out there. Things such as ATO storage tank, chiller, and ballast for the lights all this due to the fact that we did not have the space for a fish room and all the gear would not fit under the cabinet.

The first thing I did on our 200 gal tank was layout a plan for everything that I would need and started with buying all the parts as you have done. Things like sump/fuge, return pump, lighting including the type and all the components. Then planned all the plumbing and other hardware I found that the overall project was much easier when everything was planned out in advance, You will be getting plenty of input but always ask questions.

Thank you guys so much for assisting in this build. You do not know how appreciated the feedback is welcomed. This will help me alleviate some of the stress and start to enjoy the experience more rather than being constantly worried whether I am doing something wrong.

what type of lighting are you going to put in there? the only reason I ask is b/c I have a 210 and my MH is too close to the water to make them look really good (spotlight effect) and your canopy looks even smaller than mine.

That tank isn't drilled yet?

It looks really pretty, I like it. However the canopy looks like it will only work with VHO or T5s.

@20vturbo wrote:
what type of lighting are you going to put in there? the only reason I ask is b/c I have a 210 and my MH is too close to the water to make them look really good (spotlight effect) and your canopy looks even smaller than mine. said:
I am going to use 3 - 250W 15K MHs.

@Marc wrote:
That tank isn't drilled yet? It looks really pretty said:
The tank is drilled. It has 1" drain and 3/4" returns on both sides. On the lighting, I will be able to put some MHs in there. Are you saying MHs won't work because of maybe having a coverage issue? The canopy in the pictures is open (I know you say that but just in case)

it just looks like the MH will be too close to the water. I know in my tank it heats the water up BAD and it creates the spotlight effect.

@20vturbo wrote:
it just looks like the MH will be too close to the water. I know in my tank it heats the water up BAD and it creates the spotlight effect. said:
Using Lumenarc reflectors will help with the spotlight situation, they spread out the light more evenly. In his setup I'm not sure if 3 LA's would fit, looking at the canopy height....

Cheers,

My canopy height is 12". Do you think that will be enough height for the MHs? Right now on my 92 gallon I have the 250 MHs 12 inches from the tank and all I have cooling the water is a 120mm fan. The temp hovers around 79-80.

By the way, on the skimmer I am going to try out the ASM G4+. I have read mixed reviews about the skimmer and was wondering what you guys think about it. I understand that there are some mods that can be done to the skimmer to increase skimmate, but I have not found any good pictures/instructions on how to do so. Any links to these mods that have pics would be awesome.

@mitch91175 wrote:
[I]@20vturbo wrote:[/I][quote="what type of lighting are you going to put in there? the only reason I ask is b/c I have a 210 and my MH is too close to the water to make them look really good (spotlight effect) and your canopy looks even smaller than mine. said:
I am going to use 3 - 250W 15K MHs.

@Marc wrote:
That tank isn't drilled yet? It looks really pretty said:
The tank is drilled. It has 1" drain and 3/4" returns on both sides. On the lighting, I will be able to put some MHs in there. Are you saying MHs won't work because of maybe having a coverage issue? The canopy in the pictures is open (I know you say that but just in case)"]

Since the bulbs need to be 9 to 12" off the water, I don't think you'll have room for them with that canopy.

If the holes are drilled already, you can't put larger bulkheads nor use larger plumbing as we discussed. The bulkheads have to fit the holes, and redrilling holes already drilled it very difficult but not impossible if you are determined to increase their diameter.

Thanks Marc for clearing that up for me. I will have to stick with what I already have. On the MHs, does the bottom of the reflector have to be 9 inches from the top of the water of just the bottom of the bulb? I am not planning on keeping many SPS. I just thought I would be able to use the MHs I already have on my 92 gallon and save a little $$.

That's what I just worked out on my tank.

I just bought a MH setup and I measured the lights to be at 12" from the water. I measured from the bottom of the pendant to the water line. I didn't use a closed canopy because I wanted to have the flexibilty of moving the lights up or down without much complication. The top of my canopy is open.

You wanna make sure the bottom of the pendant is however many inches from the water and that you have good ventilation or you'll get a lot of heat in there.

Ok, now for the million dollar question, what would be a good choice for lighting for the canopy that I am retrofit? I have a space that is right at 12" in the canopy that I can mount lighting in. I also have a 48" T5 TekLight fixture with 6 54W Giesemann bulbs (but not long enough). I was teasing myself looking at the Solaris LED light fixtures (way expensive).

Many have suggested to me in the past that T5s are pretty awesome lights. Many chose those over VHO's. That would be your best bet cause only have 12" in the canopy to place lights, you have to add however tall the MH reflectors are then that would be way too close.

So, I would say go with T5s. I'm not too familiar with what sizes there are and how many setups you'd need to light the whole tank.

Beautiful tank by the way :D

Can't wait to see it up and running

Thanks for the compliment. On the T5, I can go with either 2ft/3ft kits. If I go with 2ft kits, I think that will work great with the Aquacontroller by being able to effectively recreate the sunrise/sunset effect.

What are some suggestions for retrofits from Reefgeeks, check these out:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_2_Retrofit_Kits/

I looked at marinedepot but their selection was limited size/wattage wise. If I was able to do the MHs decision would be much easier, but since heat/spotlight effect will be an issue, I have to go to the next best alternative (with help from ya'll of course).

Does anyone have any other good online dealers where I can get a good deal on some T5 retrofit kits?

I should get the following today:

1/3 JBJ Chiller
Aquacontroller 3 Pro
Dimmer Lunar Simulator for AC
2 250W Heaters
ASM G4+ Protein Skimmer

I am still contemplating on which powerheads I am going to get (either Vortec or Tunze). For those with tunze powerheads, which models would be the best option if I am going with 2 powerheads? Either way I want to get 2 powerheads; one for each side of the tank.

Decided to combine them after all? The new tank looks great, I like the canopy.

If I may suggest, I've heard the tunzes are a bit more reliable, but the vortecs look much cleaner, they take up much less room and cast almost no shadow which is great if you want to fill up the ends of the tank with something colorful instead of having two large tunzes and empty rock.

Keep posting pictures. When you're ready, send me a pm for some frags.