Mat's 255 Gallon Rimless Aquarium Build

@mtraylor wrote:
Thank you. The first coral with the yellow eyes is my AKA Bryans hybride Watermelon Chalice. You can see it when I first got it on page 3 said:
Thanks for the answer I cant wait to see how this works out for you. Also, those are some great chalices!

Np. I took a couple pictures of my dendro. One at Sunset, and one at Sunrise. I think they are pretty cool between the transitions. I'm working on the programing on my sunrise and sunset simulation for the lights right now.

@mtraylor wrote:
Thank you. The first coral with the yellow eyes is my AKA Bryans hybride Watermelon Chalice. You can see it when I first got it on page 3 said:
Wow, that's some great growth! Have you found they tend to grow "faster" for lack of a better description as they get larger? I would think you get more growth as the diameter of the piece increases. I've always debated about fragging smaller pieces vs letting them get larger before fragging.

I think you'll find some crazy growth will continue with the LEDs. Like your experience so far, the difference in growth rates was pretty dramatic when I made the switch.

Well I don't think I have noticed any changes in growth from small to big. What I have found is that if you buy a half way descent looking chalice (fairly big), and you frag it. The new frag will be more vibrant. It seems its easier for the new frag to absorb the nutrients in the aquarium quicker because its smaller. Also I have learned that if you leave your lights off for a couple days, the chalices get more vibrant and seem to grow a bit more during that time. Unfortunately the SPS don't like it.

Uchin you were right. I started to see some lines on my Chalices and I was talking to John about it and he said my alk was low. I checked it and the bottom dropped out of it. I'm buffering it back up as I type. I wonder what causes that?

For the past two weeks I have been battling low alk. Stuff has been growing fast. Like springtime on the reef.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

WEll its been a really long night. After buffering my aquarium, I took a new measurement and the DKH had not changed. After seeing the corals in the aquarium start to close. I went and bought a new test kit and now my DKH was 16 and my PH went to 9.2. Needless to say, I'm fighting to keep corals alive now. I did a 40 gallon water change and dosed the aquarium with vinegar over about 8 hours. I have the DKH down to 14 and the PH to 8.6 so far. I havn't lost anything yet, but I'm on my way to it. I think I will just leave the aquarium alone for a few hours to see what happens. After dosing the vinegar, the aquarium became cloudy for some reason. Not sure why, but Im sure I'm loosing calcium at this point.

I don't know what happened to my ALK test kit, but this really sucks.

Sorry to hear about this. Check your mag levels. If its too low then you will have a hard time getting the alk and calc in check.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

PH 8.6?? Wow. You may want to leave you lights off today. I am not a fan of vinegar. Watch all your readings. Did you mess with your CA reactor?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Before I left the house this morning the DKH was 14 and the PH @8.52. I"m going to get a new Magnesium test on the way home to test that. I think its time to replace the test kits. I havn't messed with the calc reactor. Last night I did reduce the bubble count on the reactor. I'm hoping the corals can stated the 8.5PH and DKH of 14. My huge Pearlberry is not happy. The outer new growth is ok on it, but the core is suffering. It wa just trying to recover from the live rock I placed in the aquarium a while back. this is a major set back for sure.

Wow, sorry to hear this. If you need bulk Mg, want to verify test numbers or anything like that to help bring things back in-line LMK as I am in Plano as well.

If you need some low alk salt I have some you can use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I think I may be out of the weeds for now. I went home for lunch to see how the corals looked. All the corals are out. The SPS are not happy, but they seem ok. Only coral that wasn't out was my Dendrophylia. Its having a hard time. The PH went up to 8.74 with the lights on. I think it slowly going to back its way down. I went and bought the new Red Sea testing kits, so I will see what my parms are when I go back home. One thing I noticed is that the Bubble tip anemone is starting to have bubble tips again. Not sure if this is an effect of the new lighting or the big swing in parms.