Is this Bryopsis?

Oscarmk

Premium Member
14wt3y0.png
Has been on 2 frags for at least 4 months, I keep pulling it manually but keeps coming back, does not seem to be spreading, but it does seem to grow back in about 3 weeks. It is feathery but not bunched up and does not seem to have a mat root system. System has low algae overall, nothing noticeable unless you get up close. While its feathery according to https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide there are several GHA species that are also feathery.A week ago I replaced my GFO reactor, with the Pax Bellum ARID Chaeto reactor, it's only been a week but I can already tell it's working as I see significantly less algae in the glass after just a week. Hopefully this helps.

Posted by: Mike R looks like bryopsis to me said:
Yes, it kinda does in some of the pictures I have seen online... I am just wondering why its not overtaking the tank, my understanding was that it would cover the tank in a month or less, and it has just stayed on those 2 frags for months... can’t find it in other places of the tank.I have read Kent tech can be dosed to kill bryopsis?I will look up how to do peroxyde dips, I have never tried it.

I was told that Kent changed their formula a couple years ago and that the new formula is no longer effective to kill bryopsis.  You could ask around and see if anyone has any fluconazole.

Not sure it is bryopsis. Bryopsis is typically thicker and has a blue streak running up it. I can verify Kent tech doesn't work.  I've been battling bryopsis for several months now. What does work rather effectively is fluconazole. 20 mg per gallon. Interferes with the photosynthesis and melts the stuff away in two weeks. Bright light accelerates the die-off. Need to remove your carbon and either allow your skimmer to overflow for the first 6 days or turn it off. Best part it is death to GHA as well as the slime algae that grows on your glass and it is reef safe! Has not hurt the macro algae in my fugue, either. Has not noticeably impacted some bubble algae I am also dealing with. May try a fox face for that. 

Looking for the fluconazole now. I dealt with bubble algae before when I had my biocube and it sure was a pain... I hope the foxface works, I didn’t have that option due to tank size.

Oscar, I sent you a reply to your message regarding the fluconazole.  The picture looks like briopsis to me.

In case you didn't find any I'll have a bunch showing up Monday.  $16.24/10 (or really whatever quantity, rate doesn't change).

Happy to report bryopsis is gone. Fluconazole is the first thing I use that really works like magic. Thanks Billy!

Posted by: Oscarmk Happy to report bryopsis is gone. Fluconazole is the first thing I use that really works like magic. Thanks Billy! said:
That's great news!!! Glad it did the trick for you.