Hoopsdaddy's 8 foot built-in w/tank room

Thanks Grod. I have been having a lot of fun working through all the steps. Got the texturing done, a little painting done, and got the access door to the garage hung. Looking forward to seeing what all I got for Christmas to add to the build...... Merry Christmas everyone, and I hope you get the items you wanted for your tank.

Well, I need to log some updates and post some picts. I have been busy getting things done on the fish room through the holidays and it has been a blast. So far I have picked up a 75g tank for a sump and I will keep my 75g that is already pretty much setup for a QT tank. More details to come on that tank. I got the RO/DI in place and the plumbing finished going to it. I also picked up a few water storage containers a while back from a member who saw that I was asking questions about them. I have both of my tanks that will be plumbed as a remote fuge and remote frag tank. For Christmas my wonderful wife purchased the return pump that I had been eyeing. Its a Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda pump. I have been doing some touch up work on the room and I will try to finish painting the room this week.

Well, I guess I had better post some pictures.

The RO/DI setup.
DSC00566edit_zpse4bdd4a4.jpg
alt="">

Here are two of the water storage containers. One is 105g the other is 65g. I also have a 55g blue water barrel that i will be using for ATO
DSC00568e_zps534e4071.jpg
alt="">

Here is the stub for the easy water change system that I will have in place. This is plumbed into the 2" drain line in the laundry room.
DSC00565edit_zps196deef9.jpg
alt="">

Also, Here is a picture of the 75g that will be used for as a sump.
DSC00567e_zps0821b105.jpg
alt="">

The 2 40g tanks that will be for the remote fuge and frag tank.
DSC00571e_zps9ff05e1c.jpg
alt="">

Here is a current shot of the fish room. I have the QT tank in place and have made a lot of progress. I hope to finish all the painting this week and put the final coat on the stand.
DSC00573edit_zps4dae984c.jpg
alt="">

Finally, this is a little eye candy from my current 165g. A few frags that one day will hopefully end up in the 270g.
DSC00572e_zpsea4a837a.jpg
alt="">

I just found this build. I can't wait until this is up! I am a sure follower!

Sent from my iPad in the Great Barrier Reef!

Thanks everyone.

I am really trying to take my time with this build. For one reason, it is expensive to set up a tank this size and set it up right the first time. When I set up my 165 years ago I skimped and DIY so many things and in the end finally just bought the thinks that I needed. Would have saved a lot of money just doing things the right way. So when we started this build, I told my wife that if we were gonna do this we were going to do it right and it was gonna take a while. She agreed, but she is already trying to get me to hurry up so she can see some fish in there. LOL.
The second reason, is because to me the build is so much fun I don't want to rush it. I love this stage of the game as much as having the tank set up and everything growing. I love the work and the tech side of the hobby just as much as the fish and corals so I get the best of both worlds.

Hope you all have a happy new year!

Well, we have gotten quite a bit of work done on the fish room over the last few days. I think things are really starting to come together. We got the area around the counter top and cabinet looking nice. We built the stand for the remote fuge and frag tank built. All I have left to do for it now is to paint it and it will be complete. We got the base on the main tank stand "expanded". I did this to accommodate the return pump and to allow for more square footage of storage space and equipment space. We still need to paint several coats on the rest of the base of the stand. We finished all the painting and touch-up painting in the fish room. Man it is white in there. Needs some color soon. Gonna put some posters up and some stuff we got from MACNA.
My wonderful wife looked at it today and said, "you need to do something to the floor. Maybe the epoxy flooring with fleck in it". So we looked at that today at Lowe's and I will probably go that route. I wanted to do something to the floors and I think this will be the best route. I like the ability to add the anti-slip media to the mixture. I will try to post some pictures soon. This sure has been fun. My father-in-law has been helping with the room build. I think he thinks I am opening a fish store. [smilie=wink.gif]

Very cool. I considered that garage floor stuff, but my room is so small that I'd end up with a lot left over (and not enough to actually do my garage..)

I think the one regular kit will be enough to do the whole floor. It is only about $75 for enough to do the room. I think that is the way I will go. I hear some people say it is a pain to put down and it turned out crappy, while others say it is easy and it has lasted for years with no problem. Guess we will see. Anyone have any experience with the epoxy flooring with the flake and anti-slip additive?

Thought I would post a few updated photos of the fish room.

This is the work area where I will store frag supplies, test kits, and various other reefer paraphernalia. Still gotta clean it up a bit, but it it almost ready for usage!
DSC00583e_zps67e4ebb1.jpg
alt="">

Kinda messy, but getting there.
DSC00579e_zpsdceabe7e.jpg
alt="">

A little cleaner and getting closer.
DSC00577e_zpsfd76d870.jpg
alt="">

This is a shot of the remote frag tank(top) and the remote fuge(bottom).
DSC00576e_zpsfd67217b.jpg
alt="">

The expanded base on the stand. I also expanded the area the tank will sit on so that I will have a walkway to work from when I need to work from above the tank. You cant really see that yet, because the tank is not pushed into place.
DSC00578e_zps3fb453ae.jpg
alt="">

Another of the same area.
DSC00580e_zpse5680690.jpg
alt="">

great idea on extending the back of stand to house the return. Is the bottom of that reinforced as you will want to stand on it eventually to enter tank from back..Wish I would have done that and had a instant step stool as I am a little vertically challenged.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far.
Lance, The walk way at tank level will be reinforced further. I still need to add a couple extra supports to it just to beef it up a bit. I think at this point I wouldn't have an issue with it, but better safe than sorry. I am glad that I went this route of extending the entire base and the walk way at tank level. I plan on trying out a few ways to have a ready made step or ladder like system where I can either quickly attach it to the stand and climb up to the platform, or just have something in place at all times for quick access.

Anyone have any experience with the epoxy flooring with the flake and anti-slip additive? How did it work for you?

@hoopsdaddy wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the epoxy flooring with the flake and anti-slip additive? How did it work for you? said:
I have spent time in the past on the forum http://www.garagejournal.com. They have a section just on flooring, and LOTS of info on epoxy. From what I recall, they usually recommend staying away from the Box store consumer epoxy kits and instead going with one of the many commercial grade products available online. To put it in fish terms, Home Depot is Petco, and their epoxy is like an air stone biocube skimmer. [smilie=rofl.gif]