Heaters ?

bump1

Membership Expired
I haven't used a heater in forever.  This morning I cked my tank and its down to 71. I have a 240 g,  2x2x8. I am in the process of swapping out my MH and VHOs with LEDs. The two 4x9 foot windows and the lights in the canopy has always kept my tank warm enough that I have never had to have a heater. I would use the Lights late in the night to keep the tank warm in the winter as I am always up in the wee hrs of the am. In the summer I have the chiller to keep it cool.  Any how now the canopy is off of the tank as is the MHs and VHOs. No heat = 71 in the tank. I find myself in a pickle here with no heater and dont know what would be the better way to heat this big old tank.  One big one or two small heaters. I dont even know witch brand is a good brand. So for now Ill use the MHs to warm my tank back up then when I get a heater /heaters in ill put the LEDs back on the tank. What heaters do u all like for  big tanks and how many? One or two ? What has worked for you?

I always use 2 heaters of the same wattage, in my big tank. Whatever wattage is suggested by the manufacturer to heat the water volume with 1 heater. I use the NeoTherms and Finnex in my tanks. I have one set to come on at 78 degrees and one to come on at 77 degrees with my APEX. Usually only the one set at 78 comes on. But if it gets real cold quick in the house the second one kicks on for a short while to get it up. Also if one fails, you still have one working.

1) I've seen too many cooked tanks (one this year in fact) to recommend a single heater that can keep a tank warm on its own.1b) I prefer 2 or 3 heaters that total a bit more than what is required to heat the tank.  This lessens the risk of one getting stuck on and cooking things, as well as the risk of a single heater failure making things too cold.2) Heating coils without built in controllers cost less, but then you are at the mercy of the controller.2b) Temperature probes fall out, end up dry when an ATO fails, whatever.  Problematic if your house temperature is at all below your desired water temperature.I do use my Apex, but I only use it to control aquarium heaters that are self regulating (vs. a dumb heating element).  I set them a couple degrees warmer than the Apex setting, and check to see if they are actually stopping as requested periodically.  This lets me look at the duty cycle of that outlet to determine how often they run.  If you set them a bit cooler than the Apex setting you can see if they are regulating correctly just by looking at the temperature graph.  If you have a newer Apex then individual outlet current monitoring would give you duty cycle.I happen to like the Aqueon Pro heaters because they are plastic, have a light to show power, and another color light to show that they have reached their desired temperature setting.  I have heard some reports of them getting stuck hot, and had it happen to one heater myself after ~6 years of use.  On the other hand I have heard, and experienced, this with others as well.  I suspect these are the same as the old Stealth heaters I liked (the plastic ones, not the exploding glass ones), but with a better adjustment knob.I really dislike the Fluval E series heaters.  The switches go bad making it impossible to change the temperature.  Worse yet they go bad in only one direction, so you end up with a heater stuck set too hot or cold.  They also need a bunch of flow to not overheat and turn down unless you remove the plastic guard.Eheims seem to be well regarded.  I have a couple in service, but haven't had them long enough to pass judgement.One last note, if you can hide it or don't mind the visual, put one in the sump and one in the display.  This keeps temperature more in line in both areas in the event of a winter time return pump failure.

I use 2 300W Eheim heaters managed by Apex to heat up my 400G. Never had a problem with an Eheim heater, (knock on wood) and I owned several throughout different setups/years.

My other half reminded me that we use heaters in  our sw mix water and RO tank to keep water warm in the garage this time of the year. I took both of them and put one in the tank and the other in the sump. The tank took most of the day to warm up and its staying at 78.8. Thank you all for your help I will be looking into the  4 heater u all like and get me some for my tank. Ill put these two back in the SW and RO when the new ones come in.Thank you for the help.

Can’t go wrong with Eheim heaters.  The Germans make quality stuff.  Much more reliable and better longevity than the Chinese crap.  Heater failures are the #1 cause of tank crashes.  Definitely not an area to try and go cheap IMO.  I agree with the others....multiple smaller heaters are always better than relying on just one. 

as a side note.  I would recommend a wifi themostat as a backup.  I have a cheap one from honeywell that allows me to control the house temp remotely when my heaters failed, to drive the temp down or up.