Collecting Dory

mwilk19

Membership Expired
This is an interesting video on the process that gets our saltwater friends to us from the other side of the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2VlVEz1JE

Nice video, saw the first 15 minutes for now, I felt bad for that 50% death rate on the tangs. IMO the hippo tang should not be sold in the hobby, they get up to a foot large!, and that 180 g supposed requirement on some sites, despite many many people keeping them even on 65g, is quite simply not sufficient for a hippo tang, I would say minimum requirement for them should be 400g, and very few people have tanks that large, poor tangs are going to die by the millions after the movie :(.

We've reached out to our sponsors and they have agreed to be vigilant about who they sell them to especially right after the movie. Some have even decided to not sell them at all for a time after the movie is released.

If anyone sees a store trying to cash in on the movie by selling clowns or regal tangs to first time tank owners please let us know so we can reach out to them. Things like this are abhorrent.

This store is in Illinois not local. I obscured the name of the store because they're named the same as a LFS that would never do a thing like this)

[attachment=0]Image1465968455.192348.jpg[/attachment]

@Ben wrote:
We've reached out to our sponsors and they have agreed to be vigilant about who they sell them to especially right after the movie. Some have even decided to not sell them at all for a time after the movie is released. said:
That's awesome. Thanks for doing that.

DNA seems to be only about the money not the hobby. There is only a few fish stores I think that still care about what they sell and to who it is. Most of the stores would sell fish to someone that is also buying a new setup from them that day, and they are new to the hobby without blinking an eye. Being new in the hobby everyone wants the instant gratification and usually kills most of there first fish and corals. I know back in the late 90s I was guilty of setting up a tank and one week later adding 4 fish only 2 made it. I thought well that sucks and the fish store was still telling me sure you can buy more here you go.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

I bought my first tank in 1988. It was a 55 gallon. I knew absolutely nothing about keeping saltwater fish. The store I bought the tank from sold me a lionfish to cycle it with. Needless to say, he didn't last very long.

@mwilk19 wrote:
I bought my first tank in 1988. It was a 55 gallon. I knew absolutely nothing about keeping saltwater fish. The store I bought the tank from sold me a lionfish to cycle it with. Needless to say said:
That's Frustrating, I set up my first tank 14 years ago and was to scared to put anything in the tank for the first 6 months, but I was loaded with pods and Bristol worms when I was ready lol

I was in this hobby when the first movie came out, it was out of control with new people that wanted a Nemo and Dory. Shaking my head and holding my breath this time.

I don't know if the affects of these movies are greater at the big box pet stores, but we really don't see an uptick in people wanting Dory or Nemo. We do get service customers that will want to add one to the tank for their kids, but not a bunch of people coming in for a new tank for them. We make it a point to get as many of the Nemo ornaments and when those people do come in we will steer them towards a freshwater setup with nemo decos. The movies really are great for the hobby as it gets kids interested that previously may not have been. It's a double edge sword, but as long as a bit of common sense is used things typically turn out as a positive.

@DNA wrote:
The movies really are great for the hobby as it gets kids interested that previously may not have been. It's a double edge sword said:
Great post... Thank you.