300 gallon its finshed....new updates and pictures

you have really been busy. I am using mini L3's on my tank, love them as well. So many nice corals as well,do your lights move. I am tring to design my canopy. Casey

so doors are 1x pine and something thin?
how does your canopy open

just fyi: your build has helped me alot with my new setup

no problem casey, i am glad you are enjoying it. The doors are made just like a kitchen cabinet door. i used 1x3 wood for the frame routed with a stile and rail bit and then used and ogee raised panel door to router ther inside panel. the inside pannel is 5/8 cabinet grade birch.

As for the lights, yes, they do move. All i have to do is lift them up out of the way as the entire bracket that you see is on a dual hinge and it works excellent.

The canopy simply slides off the front of the tank. I will have access doors for feeding and misc stuff.

You are more than welcome to stop by and see the set up anytime you would like. I will be at the meeting on wed if you have any questions. I can explain and give you a general sketch idea if you would like for the canopy and light bracket.

The doors were tricky but once you do one door you can do 100 doors. it gets easier with each one. I wanted raised panel doors but it was going to cost about 200 plus shipping for a cabinet shop to make them for me....so i tried it myselfe.

Looks Great :!:

How come I only counted 16 fish on your list. This is a 300g tank it needs at least 30 fish. :wink:

THere will be more added.....taking pictures of the bicolor is not easy as the are fast and camera shy. you could drive over here faster than i could take a pic :lol:

It is a purple long tentacle nem...i have to seen many and if you can find them they are not very cheap. the pictures do not do justice, this fella is bright deep purple and very, very pretty.

Donnie, completely awsome setup! Very pleased to see the pics of the anthias and the LT purple anemone. Glad to see that they got a great new home. Give the LT purple nem a week or two to settle and you will be blown away. With the space you have around it I wouldn't be surprised if you see it extend to 16" diameter or more. As I said when I was selling it I have only seen one LT purple nem in the LFS's round here in the past two and half years and that is the one you now have. My only regret is that I sold it too cheaply, but that is more than compensated for by seeing the new environment that you have put it in...

Regards, Roy

Roy, thank you for the kind words. i absolutley love the coloration and the corkscrew effect that it gives. it is getting bigger each day that i see it. i really wanted a seabae nem but after i saw this one in person, there was no way i was going to a seabae in my tank (no offense to seabae owners). Thanks for working a deal with me, my wife was verrrry suprised to see how big he has gotten over the last day.

Well just curious which are the true lumenarc reflectors? I have some I am putting on my new tank that look like these.
mike_lighting.jpg
alt="">

And you and others have these that people say are lumenarc's. Which is what and is there one that is better than the other?
300_stand_214_124.jpg
alt="">

Chris, you do have luminarcs. There was a redesign and the new ones are the ones that i have. The new ones are better than the old ones (but the old ones are still friggin awesome). The new ones have 24 optic surfaces versus the 12 optic surfaces of the old one....i believe it is something like 16-23% more light in the tank as a result of the increased surface reflection area.

Hope that helps.

Hmm, I didn't know they made a new one. It looks like yours concentrate the light more straight down instead of a bigger foot print like a spotlight. I guess mine will fit my situation better since I will be lighting a 6 foot tank with two reflectors.

actually it is all about how you place them. the new ones can do a 30x30 footprint and i have an 8ft tank so i will have a little bit of a shadow. You are in the same boat as i was in, you are trying to do 3ft per reflector and you will get about what i got..i am trying to do 32 inch per reflector and yours is 36 inch per reflector...i suspect yours will be even more noticable than mine. but, it will still work just fine.

I might be way off, but it also looks Chris' are placed higher off the surface than dp1416's. So he is not getting as good of a spread as you might be Chris.

yeah, that is a good point, the higher they are...the bigger the spread. i have made my rack adjustable so i can tinker with it when i need. more to come.