280 gallons. Dose or calcium reactor.

pjracer

Premium Member
I am upgrading my lighting to led and also on my list is to switch to a better doser or go all in on a calcium reactor.

I am going for a sps tank. I have most all sps now but my tank is still growing. I like the idea of the calk reactor.

Looking for help deciding. Thanks Peter.

That size I would think ca rx especially if they are mini colonies or bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was hoping to hear. I am looking at a couple different brands. I like the kit from marine depot korallin. I also had a brief conversation with Marc and he like how his life reef has performed. I have also heard good things about geo. have you guys had any experience with these brands?

I run a geo 624 and never had any problem. Also look and my reef creation their dual chamber ca rx I had great results.

Personally I like up flow designs not down flow

@Matt wrote:
The MRC dual chamber is NICE if you have the room for it. said:
I think that's the problem I am starting to run into. I have 7 feet under my tank. 4 of that is my sump and the other 3 is my return, media reactor and 29 gallon topoff. I'm running short on room.

Make sure you go with an aquariumplants electronic regulator. $650 you can find a good ca rx setup on r2r or rc if you don't mind something used.

Thanks for the regulator info. I was leaning that way. Just need to decide on the rx. I am berry nail when about to spend a lot of money a do day of research. Does the geo have the probe holder or do you do what mark does and make a DIY off the output.

Geo has a probe holder.

I would call lfs usually they have ca rx laying around from service clients taking down their tanks

I would say calcium reactor and would urge you to get a second chamber to run your effluent thru. I realize that you said you are running out of room but the second chamber will help with not lowering your tank PH esp with the amount you are going to be running with that size of tank. Also, you might ask Marc and he could prob build you a second chamber that would fit exactly where you need it and have room for it cuz it does not have to be very big.

I would go with dosing using either a GHL r bubble magnus doser. Just make/buy three custom sized containers to fit and hold 3-5 gallons of the diy ca/alk/mg solution's from BRS. Here's a link to DaveJ's 300G that he doses with great success. viewtopic.php?f=100&t=52438

Cheers,

@bimmerzs wrote:
I would go with dosing using either a GHL r bubble magnus doser. Just make/buy three custom sized containers to fit and hold 3-5 gallons of the diy ca/alk/mg solution's from BRS. Here's a link to DaveJ's 300G that he doses with great success. http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=52438 Cheers said:
I have been dosing and I really like to automate everything and it seems that I would service the ca and alk parameters less with the reactor. I'm not a posed to dosing. Thanks for your opinion.

Hand dose until you get some corals in there. Once you actually get a decent alk/Ca demand going then go with a quality calcium reactor with a quality regulator (Aquariumplants.com).

I would advise on a single chamber reactor... NOT the dual chambers. Dual chambers make it difficult for accurate pH measurements/controlling...often times needing to run multiple pH probes. I used to have a great calcium reactor write-up article on my bookmarks that explained this quite well.... but cant find it :/

GOOD LUCK!

@mtraylor wrote:
Go with the Geo Reactor. That is the best decision IMO. You will be able to keep your aquarium more stable. said:
I am looking at the geo cr618. I am also looking at the electronic regulator from aquarium plants

@pjracer wrote:
[I]@mtraylor wrote:[/I][quote="Go with the Geo Reactor. That is the best decision IMO. You will be able to keep your aquarium more stable. said:
I am looking at the geo cr618. I am also looking at the electronic regulator from aquarium plants"]
That's the one I run not the 624 I really like it very good quality

@bimmerzs wrote:
I would go with dosing using either a GHL r bubble magnus doser. Just make/buy three custom sized containers to fit and hold 3-5 gallons of the diy ca/alk/mg solution's from BRS. Here's a link to DaveJ's 300G that he doses with great success. http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=52438 Cheers said:
+1. It's much easier and fewer potential problems. Keep it simple and go with what works. We dose B-Ionic on our 225 with dosing pumps and rarely have to mess with them at all. Parameters stay consistent and all we have to do is fill the containers when they get empty.

You will enjoy using a calcium reactor over dosing systems.