280 gallons. Dose or calcium reactor.

@Texastravis wrote:
I would advise on a single chamber reactor... NOT the dual chambers. Dual chambers make it difficult for accurate pH measurements/controlling...often times needing to run multiple pH probes. I used to have a great calcium reactor write-up article on my bookmarks that explained this quite well.... but cant find it :/ said:
I run two chambers and control the reactor PH with my apex and dont have any trouble with my tank PH. I do have a second PH probe on my tank as well but if you go with a reactor you are going to have to have a probe on it and I do advise another PH probe on your tank just to make sure that you dont drop your tank PH too much. What the second chamber does is help raise the PH of the effluent so that you are not putting effluent at such a low rate into your tank otherwise you would be putting low PH effluent right into your tank. It is users prefference but by running a second chamber I have never had a problem with low tank PH.

I would recommend a ph controller over running the ca rx over a controller like apex or rk. If controller goes out then you are stuck figuring out a way to dose the ca and alk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kuyatwo wrote:
I would recommend a ph controller over running the ca rx over a controller like apex or rk. If controller goes out then you are stuck figuring out a way to dose the ca and alk. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
I planned on running it with my apex. It seems like it would be easier. So by ph controller isn't it just like a pinpoint monitor. What does it really control?

Ph controller turns the regulator on and off same as the apex.

For me if my ph controller goes bad I can throw the regulator on the apex till I get a new ph controller

If you are just using apex and apex goes out then you are stuck figuring out how to run ca rx without a ph controller or dose 2 part till apex is fixed

@kthomas wrote:
Saj01c has a Deltec 601s Calcium Reactor for sale in the members only section. said:
His is pretty pricey. Just the reactor and no controller, regulator or canister.

I am pretty much narrowed down my search. I'm looking to get the aquarium plants electronic regulator with their full 5 pd co2 canister. I want to get the geo 618 reactor but I was at one of the LFS today and found a reactor for 150. So I might get the good regulator and wait on the good reactor or just go all out and get the geo too. It's over my budget but I think the quality is worth it.

On Craigslist someone is selling an aquarium plants reg setup

Been away from the boards for a while and just saw this. I guess I'm in the minority here and go with dosing on 260 with 250g TWV. Working well for me so far and easy to make adjustments as my Ca & Alk demand go up. I did the custom 3 part container route as well that Marc built and it saved me some space. I'm using a Bubble Magus but tempted to get the new Vertex Libra.

@bimmerzs wrote:
I would not go with a 5# Co2 tank said:
I thought the 5# was the bigger one that could support a year usage. Am I thinking wrong or should I think the 20#. What # were you thinking.

@kuyatwo wrote:
On Craigslist someone is selling an aquarium plants reg setup Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
Awesome. I found it. I put in a email and waiting on a response. Thanks.

@pjracer wrote:
[I]@bimmerzs wrote:[/I][quote="I would not go with a 5# Co2 tank said:
I thought the 5# was the bigger one that could support a year usage. Am I thinking wrong or should I think the 20#. What # were you thinking."]

5lb is fine, it should last you 3-4 months. I have two tanks, so I always have a tank at the ready just in case. A 20lb tank will last a year, assuming the tubing doen't leak CO2 gas and waste it. It's a big tank, not something you can hide or tuck out of the way.

@Lindsey wrote:
[I]@pjracer wrote:[/I][quote="I want to get the geo 618 reactor but I was at one of the LFS today and found a reactor for 150. said:
Did you get the Korallin reactor?"]
Shhhh. I don't have the money till tomorrow. I'm thinking of getting it.

If you can find an aluminum 20lb container I would go that way I was not a big fan of the welding containers they way to much

@Lindsey wrote:
[I]@pjracer wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@Lindsey wrote:[/I][quote=" pjracer wrote: I want to get the geo 618 reactor but I was at one of the LFS today and found a reactor for 150. said:
Shhhh. I don't have the money till tomorrow. I'm thinking of getting it."]

Sorry! Edited post, hehehe :)
You should! Do you live near there? Let me know if you need help getting it dialed in right, I've gotten pretty comfortable with it.

I was up their yesterday. I live in Forney but with my job I'm all over the metroplex every day. I will let you know. I'm surprised how many setups are on Craigslist rite now.

@pjracer wrote:
[I]@Lindsey wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@pjracer wrote:[/I][quote=" Lindsey wrote: pjracer wrote: I want to get the geo 618 reactor but I was at one of the LFS today and found a reactor for 150. said:
Shhhh. I don't have the money till tomorrow. I'm thinking of getting it."]

Sorry! Edited post, hehehe :)
You should! Do you live near there? Let me know if you need help getting it dialed in right, I've gotten pretty comfortable with it.

I was up their yesterday. I live in Forney but with my job I'm all over the metroplex every day. I will let you know. I'm surprised how many setups are on Craigslist rite now.

Ca rx are older technology like seaswirls or oceans motions. Everyone wants to go 2part as it is inexpensive in the beginning over long term on big ca and alk high demand tanks a ca rx is the way to go

@kuyatwo wrote:
Ca rx are older technology like seaswirls or oceans motions. Everyone wants to go 2part as it is inexpensive in the beginning over long term on big ca and alk high demand tanks a ca rx is the way to go Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
I went the other way....my ca/alk usage was pretty high and I had to really drive my CaRx so it was cheaper and easier to go with dosing. I unnecessarily accepted the con's of the CaRx for too long because everyone said that a CaRx was the only way to go. Even using ~220ml daily, a $60 bucket last nearly a year, I will never go back to anything other than dosing personally however, YMMV. [smilie=smile.gif]

Cheers,

I thought about the pool supply route, but i'm fairly new w dosing and brs has a calculator which could help me if i ran into any trouble. Ill probably do the pool route after i purchase brs' starter kit w all the mixing equipment.