Search results

1. A

Are two Reefbrites enough for my SPS tank?

Planning to replace my Chinese LEDs last night, I went to DNA and impulse purchased two Reefbrite XHOs (actinic). I had planned to buy two Kessil a360s, which are comparable in price and features. I like the clean look of both lights, but I wonder if these reefbrites are enough par for my SPS...
  2. A

Monti Cap developing a hole through it

My Purple monti cap started developing a dead spot in the middle and growing some brown algea ON it in September. The coral is about 10" across and still growing everywhere else, but that spot is slowly spreading and has now developed a HOLE completely through it! Does anybody know what is...
  3. A

Is this RTN?

Was away for a week on business. These two are the only corals displaying this. Is it RTN? Will it infect others? What should I do next?
  4. A

Is this a normal skimmer break in?

Hello, my new skimmer doesn’t seem to make enough skimmate. I am on day 15 of my new tank cycle using pure ammonia, 60 lbs of dry rock, and 5 lbs live rock. Also running a new biopellet reactor directed straight into the skimmer intake. (Will add another 50 lbs live rock will be added once I...
  5. A

Sicce 4.0 strong enough return pump?

Hello. Wondering if the Sicce 4.0 (985 gph) I just ordered will be strong enough to serve as a return pump in my newsfeed ready tank. It will be 150 gallon tall tank (48x24x30 high) with a 40 gallon sump. Someone at the LFS recommended a 2400 gph pump to me which seemed really high. Maybe...
  6. A

Sudden cloudy water. Please help

Hello. I appreciate the help Ive received in the past in this forum so much! I hope you can help tonight. Performed a water change yesterday with RO because i had lost a long tentacle anemone in there a couple weeks ago and the water smells slightly. Ive been doing weekly water changes and...
  7. A

Is there any reason I shouldnt cover the back of my aquarium

I want to cover the back of my my aquarium with meteor shower coral, since I hear it grows quickly on a smooth surface. Is there any drawback or risk to doing that? It seems like it would keep me from needing to clean it all the time.
  8. A

Can I use a larger return pump to provide water flow

I would like to use a 1000gph water pump (I already own) to increase water movement in the display tank by returning water from the sump through a Y to the two sides of my tank. I like the idea of getting the ugly powerhead out of the tank and replacing my old return pump with a new, more...
  9. A

911 Help with water chemistry

Hi. I've had trouble this week with sps corals crashing, nem dying and star melting. I also see signs of ich now too. Finally checked everything I can test for tonight (have been doing big water changes and I changed my activated carbon when the nem died. It seems my ph has dipped to 7.8 and...
  10. A

Need advice on my new lighting

Please help…I can’t tell if Im giving too much light or too little. My corals & GBTA have done really poorly since changing my lights from PC lights to Taotronics dimmable LEDs. First, the Nem crawled into a hole and died, then the few SPS frags I had wasted away. Even the mushrooms aren’t...
  11. A

How to I repair this leather?

image.jpg Devils hand leather coral is split on one side, and I'd like to stick it back together, if possible. What would be the best way? Will it ever grow back together, or is it best to leave it or sever it completely?
  12. A

Is my nem dying? Should I remove him?

Last week my shrimp seemed way too interested in the GBTA for several days. We chased him away and now he seems to be leaving it Alone. However, Since then the nem has been stressed. Friday it shrunk up really small and released a little purple mucous. Saturday it looked better so I tried to...
  13. A

Treating ich with cupramine PROBLEMS

Hello. Im having problems with Ich and quarentining the fish. Please help! Sunday p.m.: My (very small) naso and blue tangs clearly had ich, so I moved them into a 10g QT and added cupramine per the directions, filling it with water from my display tank and adding two coffee mugs for hiding...