Is there any reason I shouldnt cover the back of my aquarium

Andrew6000

Membership Expired
I want to cover the back of my my aquarium with meteor shower coral, since I hear it grows quickly on a smooth surface. Is there any drawback or risk to doing that? It seems like it would keep me from needing to clean it all the time.

I've seen a tank with Xenia on the back glass and another with GSP. Both looked good. Meteor Shower will take a very long time to cover.

I have meteor, green acros and green spondeges growing right now on back wall. and plan to in next tank with a couple others.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

only downside is if you do a large water change part of the back wall will be out of water .if your quick I see no risk .plz document what your trying to do with pics and growth updates .I applaud your creativity

I do water changes and corals sit out of water for a while. Just think on Australia at low tide they are out of the water for a long time with no issues. They have a slime they give off that helps protect them.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

The only issue I would see is if you have a narrow tank. Having a coral growing on the back will cause a "stop" in your line of vision so if you have a narrow tank this will make it appear even narrower. I clean the center of the tank down to the rock line in the middle to give that "beyond the reef" look and have GSP growing on the back at the ends. Having corals on the back will give the critters safe zones. You can get strange bedfellows. I have a RBTA that climbed up the GSP, made a pocket behind it and now lives at the very top of the tank. Water changes have not encouraged him to climb back down.

Update: i started the frag up pretty high so it would be visible but tonight i noticed that after 10
Days there the leds were frying the coral, so i pried it off and tucked it into a low light cave. Im going to look for another fast-growing, pretty, encrusting coral that loves high lighting. Any suggestions? Wondering about a superman montipora....

Pavona would do it. Used to do that in my last two tanks.