Search results

1. G

PH probe and 96 Watt Square PIN PC's Where to buy online

I am looking for reasonably priced good quality equipment. I have a AC Jr and would like to buy a new PH probe for a reasonable price 30-40$. What recomendations do you have? The one my LFS sold me is not submersable and reading all over the board. (6.0-9.5) I simply do not trust it which...
  2. G

Tank Got TOO hot (89) while gone on vacation

Well guys I went out to Wisconsin Dells on vacation for 2 nights and I did something completely STUPID! I turned off the AC in the house. Well we came home and it was 96 in the house and 89 in the tank. So I put a couple of Qt jars sealed with Ice water in the sump turned off all the lights...
  3. G

2 Tangs died mysteriously

I moved my tank about 2 weeks ago into our new house and two days ago we found both Tangs Dead. There was a powder blue and a yellow tang. They were both eating well after the move and showed no signs of ich or a any disease. I noticed a small amount of tingle when I stuck my hand in the tank...
  4. G

Sump water level higher than the bubble trap

So I am in need of some advice. I am designing a sump for my 90 and to save the shipping costs on having Marc build it I am going to have a local builder do the work. Sorry Marc. So bob recommended that I run a water level haigher than the buble trap thus allowing more water volume and the...
  5. G

Enough Flow

Well I got the 90 gal in and it is WONDERFUL! I don't know how we ever lived with such small tanks before. Well now I have two new problems with the tank Micro Bubbles and The one I want to talk about in this post is flow. I designed the tank with 2 pumps a MAG 9.5 return and a Mag 5 closed...
  6. G

Something to Eat Flat Worms

Is there a specific creature or two that will feast on flat worms? I seem to have a pretty good infestation of them in my 55. They are fairly visable on the glass and I have seen some on the substarate and rock. The Corals don't seem to be showing any ill signs yet so I would like to get them...
  7. G

Acvice on Switches

I am getting to the point were I will need some switches in the new 90 and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a power strip that had some switches in the front? I know some have just wired in regular light switches but I am hopeing for a fixture that can be mounted to the underside...
  8. G

Interesting results with Marcs Closed loop design

So I am plumbing the new RR All Glass Aquirium and I have found an interesting fact (I should have know). I decided to put the intake for the closed loop into the overflow to see how it would work and ran it that way overnight. Well this morning I had a small leak in one of the bulkheads so I...
  9. G

Mounting Green Star Polyps

We got some Beutiful Green Star Polyp from Premium aquatics yesterday that are not on rocks. We are planning on putting some rubber bands on them to hold them to a rock untill they attach themselves. Is this a good idea or will I hurt the polyps? For those that are interested they were...
  10. G

New Skimmer Question

Ok, I have been talking to Marc about getting a new sump built (on hold for funds) and he asked what kind of Skimmer were we going to use. I haven't given this enough thought so I Wanted to know what folks are running and what they are happy with. We have about 25" in our stand so we can go...
  11. G

buying Live Rock on-line

Ok I need a couple boxes of live rock shipped to MSP (Minnesota) airport. Does anyone have some recent good experiences for good quality live rock? We have some really good seed and display rock in the 55 now so we could even go base rock if neccessary. BTW: Pam has forbiden me to build our...
  12. G

Did my Phyto culture crash?

I got up this morning and checked on the phyto I had started growing 3 days ago to fin all the green stuff on the bottom of the bottles. Is this normal or have I lost the culture?
  13. G

Sizing return pump

Ok I am buying stuff for my new 90 Gal RR set up. Marc is going to build a sump / Refugium and I would prefer an external return pump. The stand will be a standard 30 " hight added the tank height of 24 and we get a ~54" lift. So how much pump should I buy? I am going to run 3 seperate...
  14. G

Return Pup recomendation (External)

Ok. We have settled on upgrading our 55 gal FOWLR to a 90 Gal RR tank. Since we are going for a full reef I am looking for a recomendation on an external return pump. I am planning on pumping the return into both the overflow return and a SCWD for the wave maker effect. So what is cool quite...
  15. G

Need advice on a Light for the 55 Gal reef

Ok. We are settled and got the 55 stable with Live rock and now we are converting to reef. We had settled on the Coralife 53506 fixture (2X150 MQI MH, 2X96 PC, 3X 1 ML) when we discovered it was 2.5" wider than our tank which is 12.5X48X20. So here is were I need some advice. We like the...
  16. G

re-activating Live rock and sand

Well we have landed in Burnsville Minnesota and we are now in the process of setting the 55 back up. Since we moved everything dry I assume we are going to have some trouble getting it back to a nice healthy tank. So The current plan is to fill it back up with water rock scape and leave the...
  17. G

Moving Come get Free Clean up crew

We are moving to MN Monday and I started to break down the tank. feeling bad about the couple of fish and clean up crew I was about to kill I thought I would see if someone from the board wanted to come up and rescue the critters. Probably 2 dozen crabs and another dozen or so snails as well...
  18. G

Calcium level - Where should it be

[I seem to remeber 400+ being optimal. Am I remebering correctly? Thanks George]
  19. G

Return pump recomendations - 125 needs a return pump

[Well I got the back of the tank painted today before the frag swap and started lookin at all the neat used plumbing I picked up from Scott a while back. So now I really only need a return pump and lighting. This particular post in looking for advice on a pump. I am going to be feeding two...
  20. G

Lighting for the 125 reef - 175 hqi mh x 2 and some t-5 's?

[We are moving forward with getting te 125 set up. We have rock coming later today and we are going to need some lighting pretty quick. So here is the idea. The tank is a standard 125 Oceanic 6 foot. I am considering putting two 175 X 20000 MQI MH lamps on on each end and a few T-5's (3...