Search results

1. V

The Vrba's Frag Tank/Shallow Reef

So we had a bit of a set back in our 225 gallon reef. All has worked out now, after losing all but three of our SPS colonies, several of our pieces of LPS and a few zoas. I think the "crash" was related to running bio-pellets combined with water changes using regular Tropic Marin which turns...
  2. V

Lighting distance from water

I am working on a frag/shallow reef tank setup. Tank is going to be 30" x 48" x 14". I will be using an eight 54w bulb Tek Light fixture. Fixture is 48" x 19.5". I am currently building the stand and light rack out of metal. I have been trying to come up with a design/method to make the...
  3. V

Lesson Learned the Easy Way

Well, at least the second time around. Not quite a month ago our central A/C went out. We immediately went out and bought two window unit a/c's. We were also fortunate enough to be Members of this club as MBSL55 offered to let us borrow his JBJ chiller that he had not put into service yet...
  4. V

Scolys! Lets see them...

I have been enjoying the posts about seeing various corals. I only have one scoly. Here it is, let's see yours. alt="">
  5. V

Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206

I was at Mid-Cities Aquariums yesterday and a super helpful employee was showing me the Tunze waveboxes. She suggested that I only needed a Nano Wavebox on my 120 gallon tank, but I was not convinced because it simply seemed strange to run "nano" equipment on a 120 gallon tank. I did however...
  6. V

Peppermint shrimp or cleaner wrasse

I think cleaner shrimp (not peppermint) are "part" of the solution depending on your current situation. If the fish is already in the tank it could be more stressful to the fish to move it to a QT or Hospital tank. With that said, Matt obviously provides very reliable information regarding...
  7. V

Acclimation help

I would think you could acclimate them together. However, it would be interesting to know how many fish. Don't feed them between now and then, to help reduce ammonia... If you have the time to take it slow I would do that.
  8. V

Shout out for opinions - Kuyatwo

So, I have been reading these boards for a long time now. I have read and put into use many suggestions provided by many members. I have to tell you, that if you are looking for sound advice, look no further than what Kuyatwo has to say. I have had success and failure with my reef tanks. I...
  9. V

To Catch a Trigger

When a reformed Niger Trigger is suspected of returning to his predisposed behavior, he must not be tempted by krill in order to maintain his residency. Plot spoiler! He was tempted by krill and now he has lost his home. We have a Niger Trigger that is actually isn't too terribly bad...
  10. V

Keith's and Haven's 120g Peninsula Tank

We have had this tank up and running for about 4 months now (I think). It was transfered from a 40 gallon tank. We really did not have much luck with the 40 gallon. We lost a lot of corals in the 40. After we transfered over to this tank, SPS growth and color took off. Everything in this...
  11. V

What powerheads would you get

I would like to get some opinions on this... I have a 120 gallon (48x24x24) peninsula style tank. I have included a picture below with my current power heads labled, I have a Tunze 6101 and 2 Koralia 4s. I plan to purchase new power heads in about a week. I am interested in getting the very...
  12. V

Vrba's 25 gallon build

We acquired a 25 gallon rimless cube from acroreef the other day. It is a really cool little cube and it came with a 7 gallon rimless cube as the sump. Along with an Eheim return pump, and he had already drilled the tank for both overflow and return. He also installed a Glass Holes overflow...
  13. V

Thinking about a seahorse tank

We have a 120 gallon tank and have been trying to decide what to make of it. Right now it is cycling with about 150-200 lbs of live rock. Think we have decided on seahorses, but wanted to get some opinions on it first. Don't seem to see a lot of activity on the seahorse section and was...
  14. V

Need help id'ing zoas

I have these and they are beautiful but I don't know what they are. Can anyone help? Thanks, Haven alt="">
  15. V

Need help identifying something...

Does anyone know what this is growing in my tank? It started growing a few weeks ago and started really small and has grown to this. Please help. Thank you. Haven alt="">