Thinking about a seahorse tank

We have a 120 gallon tank and have been trying to decide what to make of it. Right now it is cycling with about 150-200 lbs of live rock. Think we have decided on seahorses, but wanted to get some opinions on it first. Don't seem to see a lot of activity on the seahorse section and was wondering if that is because they are just too difficult even with captive breed, just not a lot of interest due to having to dedicate a species only tank to them, or because there is just not a lot too talk about. Anyone raising seahorses or have suggestions regarding them?

We have researched at least the basics...

Erectus are good choice to start.
Captive breed.
Feeding stations.
No fish to out compete for food.
Low flow.
Pristine water.
Hitching posts.
76-77 degree temp (depending on which seahorse)
Raising fry difficult week after week
Cover pump inlets.

Who has has good success with them and more importantly enjoyed seahorses for some decent amount of time?

Well, not too much activity in the seahorse forum, but I am going to go ahead and keep this thread alive at least for a bit as we go through our seahorse adventure. The tank finished cycling. We added a few snails and then called Frank at Franks Tanks to see if he had any seahorses. He had one h. Erectus from ORA. Picked him up yesterday after frank demonstrated how well he was eating. Frank sure is a long way from Lewisville where we are living now, but he is nothing but the best! We acclimated the seahorse to the tank and then decided to try and feed him some mysis. He snicked them up immediately. Woke this morning to find him hunting pods while hitched to a rock covered in them. We saw him successfully get four of them, and as I am writing this he is still hunting. He sure looks lonely in there as the only swimming critter in a 120 gallon tank. I have this feeling that we will be visiting frank soon to pickup some friends for our little seahorse.

Well I somehow totally missed this thread.

Well I think the reason you don't hear alot in the seahorse forum is because those of us that are avid seahorse lovers and keepers have stopped keeping them for a time here and there.

I think it's always exciting when new people start with seahorses. My 1st concern with your new seahorse tank is the size. That's a MASSIVE tank for seahorses. Because of the extensive care and attention seahorses need, most of us keep seahorses in smaller tanks, keeping to small herds of 4-6 @ most in 70-75g tanks. From experience I would imagine in a tank so large you might come up with alot of cyano in some area or another.

However keep us updated on how things are going with the new tank! I wish you luck on the adventure :).

Seahorses are great to keep. Seahorse dot org is a good place for info.

Keep the tank at 72-74*, vary the flow in the tank. Not too high, but good flow, and lower areas as well. 10-15 times per hour turnover is great for them.

Don't mix species. Mixing sources can be risky too, so keep getting the erectus from ORA.

I've thought off and on about starting a seahorse tank, and the thing that always causes me to put the brakes on is the fact that they need temperature in the low 70s. The only way that can be done (at least in my house where we hold the temps at 77 in the summer) in the summers is with a chiller, and I really don't want the extra expense and space a chiller takes.

Would still love to have one sometime though!

Any updates? I know DNA sells out of their Tank Raised Reidi's constantly. I guess nobody from the forums is being them.