Search results

1. G

RODI question

You want to focus on the effectiveness of the membrane. Some of the 100 gallon membranes ( actually most of them ) are only 90% effective, where the 75 gallon ones are rated at 97.5% effective or even a little higher. The DI is expensive and is used up faster with a membrane which lets too...
  2. G

A dash of Lime?

An article I found calling Calcium Hydroxide carbon negative. Want to start a drive to donate your Mrs. Wages to encumber some carbon? Read this and think, "Hey I already knew that!" Scientists say they have found a workable way of reducing CO2 levels in the atmosphere by adding lime to...
  3. G

ballast question

If you are asking if an HQI ballast can be used to run SE mogul bulbs, or must it only run DE bulbs, the answer is you can run either. Just know that the HQI ballast ovedrives the bulbs, and while your light output as measured by PAR will be higher, the downside is that bulbs tend to not last...
  4. G

Electrician in the Club?

I have 3 new electronic ballasts and a single stage controller, all of which need to be wired into their applications. Nothing extremely complicated but I have out of town family coming and I would prefer not to spend my time on this right now. I thought before I call someone out of the yellow...
  5. G

Vortech stopped working last night

Ok my fancy and fairly new Vortech pump stopped working last evening sometime in the night. I noticed it this morning. It was giving the "pump stall" code, that is a flashing green light and solid red light. I tried plugging it back in several times but no luck. After about 5 seconds it...
  6. G

Thanks Frank!

I decided it was a slow week made slower by the fact that so many folks decided to take vacation around the holiday and get a week for only 4 days, so I knocked off early and decided to visit Frank's Tanks. Its a bit of a drive for me so I had not been in the store in quite some time, but Frank...
  7. G

Tank sitter

I am looking for someone that would be interested in a tank sitting job after Christmas. Feed the fish a every other day and refill the autotop off jug once. Everything else is just general observation. The job will pay well. If you think you might be able to do it let me know by PM and we...
  8. G

New t-5s NEED some diagnostic help

Well UPS showed up with my t-5 accessories and I launched in to converting my Ice Cap VHOs to T-5s. I did it methodically. I replaced two sets of endcaps first put in the bulbs and fired it up. Worked like a charm. Then I put the other two endcap sets on put in the new bulbs and whoops. A...
  9. G

phosphate test kit

OK who makes more sensitive test kits for phosphate. I have Seatest and I looked at Salifert in the LFS yesterday. Both are sensitive down to .1 ppm. But I see lots of folks saying on REEF CENTRAL that they like to keep Phosphate down below .05. Ergo they must be able to test that low. So...
  10. G

Beckett skimmer not functioning

Anyone have some experience with a Beckett type skiimer to share. My skimmer which is made locally by Trigger systems was broken down and cleaned yesterday by my tank servicing company. It nows is not creating any foam or bubbles. I have taken the black Beckett part out and cleeaned it and...
  11. G

Tunze and discounts

BTW I had an extended discussion with someone here about Tunze. It was contended that Tunze forbid selling their products at less than suggested retail. I said I thought that was wrong and asked for any proof. While none was produced, I also could not immediately show an example either. Now...
  12. G

Tunze wavebox

Got my Tunze wavebox in yesterday and after a bit of tinkering have it up and generating about a 35 mm wave in my tank. Very very cool. It plus the two Tunze streams have taken my flow in the tank from something like 10x to more like 50x. The SPS loved the streams, so I cant wait to see the...
  13. G

Micro bubbles

Ok things must be going pretty well in my tank since I am down to fretting over cosmetics. Anyway I have micro bubbles coming out my return. Corals are doing fine, colors are great but I would like to reduce or eliminate the bubbles since the display will be a bit clearer. Mu sump has baffles...
  14. G

Live rock

[Seems like someone was asking about good pricing on live rock very recently. I am too lazy to do a search to try to find it but look what just showed up in my mailbox: **** Marshall Island Base Rock **** ONLY 2.49/lb, comes in 45 lb. boxes. This is the Marshall Island Live Rock with no...
  15. G

Cozumel reefs

[My wife just surprised me with a trip to Cozumel for my birthday. leaving midday tomorrow. Anyone ever been to the reefs at Cozumel? Any tips suggestions etc greatly appreciated.]
  16. G

Vho bulbs

[Well my T-5 did not last long. I have gone back to a VHO set up on my DAS 55. I have four 2 footers laying across the straps. I am thinking of tieing them together in some manner to make them a light bar. Simpler to move if I need to get into the tank. Anyone have any great ideas plans etc...
  17. G

Ball pickling lime

[It appears as if Ball Corp ( Alltrista Corp ) no longer makes Pickling Lime ( food grade calcium hydroxide ). Anyone know this not to be the case? I found an article online from a lady in Oregon stating that. Cant find the product on Alltrista web site either. Somebody else makes pickling...
  18. G

Nori

[OK I went looking for Nori. In all the wrong places apparently. Market Street carries it. 7 sheets and a total 17 grams but they want like $6. How much should this seaweed cost anyway? And where might I find it more reasonably priced in Northeast Tarrant county? The packaging says "Nori...
  19. G

Part time skimming

[OK I am thinking seriously about putting a timer on my down draft skimmer pump. Before I do I wanted to see if anyone else has done this or if anyone can tell me why this is a terrible idea. This is a big pump and since its in the sump its generating some heat. The skimmer is only producing...
  20. G

Kalkwasser

[OK for 7 years I have relied on water changes to keep my alkalinity and calcium in proper ranges. Actually for awhile at the beginning I relied on my tank servicer but I learned from him and eventually he was no longer needed. Now I am starting to think about adding limewater instead of just...