Search results

1. K

Help me plan LED lighting for my new tank

So first things first. Starting up a 180. Standard 6' x 2' x 2'. It has a coast to cost overflow in the back that is about 5 inches wide and deep. SPS freak so will keep largely that in this tank so want plenty of light. My current thought is to go with 3 fixtures. I will be controlling...
  2. K

Closed loop thoughts

Ok, I'm in planning stages for my next tank which is a 180 that I will setup in Feb. I'm a little torn on the closed loop. First quick setup stuff. It's a standard 180, coast to coast horizontal overflow, 3 drains. I will use a blue line 70 for the return hooked to 2 penductors. I am trying to...
  3. K

Anyone keep Bellus Angels

One of the LFS here has a pair of Bellus on sale for $199 which is an outstanding price for them and I'm thinking about getting them for my 450. Has anyone kept them before? I've read a fair amount about them but first hand knowledge is always good! Here are the fish I'm talking about in...
  4. K

Update of my 450G - First pics of 08 finally

So folks have been bugging me to post new pics so here you go. First a full tank shot for fun then a few of my fish alt=""> alt=""> alt=""> alt=""> alt=""> alt="">
  5. K

MACNA XX is in Atlanta

So now you all have an excuse to come see the new aquarium and my awesome new city and my other fish nerd buddies! Atlanta Reef Club (ARC) was UNANIMOUSLY awarded the bid for MACNA XX, September 2008 by MASNA last week! I'll keep everyone posted on the when , where, how, etc. People I know...
  6. K

Frustrated and ready to stop trying to add Fish!!

Ok I take great pride in being a very responsible fishkeeper. Over the years I have become at least above average in keeping them healthy and have had good success with some delicate fish (powder blues, regal angel, etc.) As many of you probably know from my rants on the boards I'm a huge huge...
  7. K

Interesting Problem

In my 450 that's been setup for about 6 months. It's got a monster skimmer that rocks. 2 fish a foxface and a copperband in it and about 25 SPS colonies and frags. I run carbon and phosban 24/7 and after the cycle have never had a trace of nitrates or phosphates. I have about 80 astreas, 1...
  8. K

Skimmer. Possible Upgrade for me

OK so I'm a freak. I have a monstrousity of a dual beckettt that is 6ft and skims like a madman alt=""> alt=""> These two pictures are with a whopping 2 fish in the tank (over 600G of water) I thinking of making a change for a couple reasons 1) Noise. This sucker is loud. Between the...
  9. K

To Regal or not to Regal?

OK I'm at a pretty big decision point. So far in the 450 I have a copperband butterfly who's now doing great and eating like a pig out of the water column. I have a magnificent foxface in QT now and he's doing great. I have always always wanted a Regal Angel but they are very difficult to...
  10. K

Yes Yes Yes! New 450G is here and in one piece!!!

Super pumped, super pumped, super pumped! My 450G has arrived at a local warehouse and is in good shape! I hope to move it in this Friday afternoon and evening! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Keith, tankless no more! In case you haven't read the entire saga do so here...
  11. K

Disaster while on vacation!

I've had reef tanks now for about 5 years. I've gone on plenty of trips and vacations all those years with no issues. It's down to an artform. The big tanks are so automated the only thing I have to do is add an autofeeder to dump a little pellet food in every day. My 20G I've had for almost...
  12. K

7000 GPH with less then 1 A

I saw this link in another thread. http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/downloads_en/interzooen.pdf Check out the specs on the 6300 Tunze stream at the bottom of the last page. Holy cow!! 70W so like .5A for that kind of flow is amazing! Hopefully they'll make a 110V version.
  13. K

To silicone or not my starboard?

Well since I unfortunatly have a little more time to wait on my tank I went ahead and did some things like order starboard, order some more LR, rtc. My question with the starboard is to silicone or not. I'm leaning toward not just becaue it doesn't bond well anyway. The only problem is that...
  14. K

Want to see a busted 450G tank :x

Well this issue was a little bigger then originally thought. It has a pretty significant crack on the left side bottom near the front. alt=""> The braces were all kinds of busted! alt=""> alt=""> The pallet was all kinds of messed up! alt=""> alt=""> alt=""> I've emailed all...
  15. K

How easy is starboard/HDPE to cut/route

For my new tank I wanted to get two pieces of Starboard/HDPE already cut to size. To do this however it would be like $500 (granted it's a big bottom (120"x36") So my thought was I can get 10 pieces of 18"x24" for ~$300 but I would have to trim all of them and route the edges. Other option...
  16. K

Help me choose lighting for my new tank!

OK here is the lighting setup for my new 450. alt=""> alt=""> So far I have: 3 Lumen-Max reflectors and socket, 2 PFO 250W DE pendants with PFO HQI ballasts, so I'm not committed as to Wattage (even though I'm pretty set on 250W since the tank is only 25" deep) and I'm total open on the...
  17. K

Blue Eye Lepto

Matt I haven't personally had one but do know of a few people who have had them (or that's what it was identified as anyway) Both people repoerted decent growth rates that were very simular to Favites,etc. They also are no more difficult then other simular species. You want to make sure it...
  18. K

DIY Maxijet prop mod - to make it like a Tunze Stream

Ok some of you may have seen Ken's here or read on RC. here is the thread that inspired me. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717034&perpage=25&pagenumber=1 And here is my contraption. Having had Tunze for a while I really was of the camp if you can't beat them copy...
  19. K

ASM G4

You'll love it! They are an excellent value!
  20. K

Multiple Phosban Reactor Chain

So there was a couple issues I had. The tank is going to be roughly 800G total so I needed at least 3 phosban reactors going. Since the flow is so slow for them I figured I could daisy chain a bunch together. That however would cause an issue since the first reactor media would be used up...