Search results

1. D

Equalize tank temp

I plumped two 20g tank together side by side, with the idea that the filter and heater are put into one tank so thd other will have more room for my fish. It has been setup for week, but the temp different between is 6 degree, with the heater side much warmer. Apparently, the must not have...
  2. D

closed loop help for 210g tank

Hi guys, I am upgrading to a 210g. Dimensions are 8x2x2 drilled on both ends of the tank. is closed loop effective for such long tank? If so, can someone please provide some design idea and what material do I need? For example, how big a pump is needed ? I will only have some softies and lps...
  3. D

Vodka Dosing

I started vodka dosing about 6 weeks ago to my 125gal. I started with 0.5mil and slowly moved up to the current 3ml per day. I just noticed some white patch on my LR. The white patch is not slimy but more like solid salt deposit. My nitrate is still high at 40 and it is not comming down. Should...
  4. D

Can't stablize water level in sump

My tank is drilled with 1" bulk head. The water go down to the sump via a 3/4 PVC. I used a single pump with a tee to feed my skimmer and return. The return has a on-off valve to control water flow. I have been trying for few days without success to keep the water level in sump at a certain...
  5. D

Water bucket needed

Hi fellow hobbyist, I will be moving in a week and I need some water bucket (with lid) to move my 120g. If you have any old salt bucket that you don't use, I appreicate it if you can give it to me. BTY, if you have expeirence moving tank, please share with me. I am having heartburn over moving...
  6. D

RO/ DI Keeps running

Hello, The drain line keeps running even after I shut off the RO/DI output. It is a 5 stage / 100 gal unit. There is no change to the unit and I don't think the water pressure is an issue. The filters are about 8 months old. What may be the problem? Thanks Dennis
  7. D

waterproofing power strip

With so may plugs and different power strips laying around my two tanks, I am getting nervous that some day a leak or even a crazy fish splash may casue huge problem. Is there any water proof power strip cover available in the market? If not, any good DIY ideas?
  8. D

More MH or supplemental T5?

My new setup is a 24 x 24 x 16 cube. Mostly softies and LPS. Currently running a 150W 14K MH pendant. The corals are just getting by ok, not growing. I am thinking about adding another 150W MH or add two strips of 2 x 24w T5 HO (total 96W). The reason of considering the T5 is the temp. issue...
  9. D

Best local source for double ended 14K MH?

I ordered on line. After two weeks of waiting the vendor is now telling me they are out of stock and it won't be available in another two weeks. My corals are closing up....please help.
  10. D

How big a tank can your floor really support?

I have a 90 gal along side with a 125 gal. So total vol, is about 200+ gal. I am a little nervous about the weight of both tanks sitting along one side of my house. 200 gal is very moderate compare to some monster tank of 400+ gal. I wonder is there a safe threshold that you can count on your...
  11. D

Seriously,has anyone actually successfully keeped a PBT?

I purchased a Powder Blue Tang yesterday. He is about 3.5". He is the only fish in my 125g reef.My tank is mature (2 years). I just moved all my fishes to another setup last week. I dripped him for two hours before putting him into the tank. I even tested the water at the LFS where he is from...
  12. D

Eels stop eating...WHY???

Both my Mexican Dragon eel and Snowflake eel stop eating two weeks ago. They have been together for more than a year and are good buddies. They share the same PVC in the tank. They used to come out and go after any food, but now they don't seem to be ineterested. I even feed the food to their...
  13. D

MH retro kit wihtout using canopy?

I find a good deal on MH retro kit with spider reflactor, ballast, socket and blub. Is there any way I can set this up without a canpony? Is there any housing for the blub and reflector that can be hang abou the tank? What are the cost of 14K or 20k 250w blub and how long will it last? Thanks
  14. D

Anyone use tap water in the Plano area?

Just wonder if any one has any success with reef tank using tap water with conditioner in the Plano area? I have a FOWLR with only tap water and it looks great. It has been over two years and all my fish are healthy and active. I do not have any algae problem. My 125gal that I used RO/DI from...
  15. D

RO/DI questions

I have been trying to justify the purchase of RO/DI unit. Couple dumb questions that I have: 1. I understand to make 1 gal of pure water there will be 4 gal wasted. Therefore, if I buy a 100 GPD unit, does it mean I need a 400 gal storge tank to keep the wasted water? 2. Is the unit easily...
  16. D

Ich question

Some says ich is always in the tank and some says it is not. My question is: If my tank is free of ich for over a year, then there should be no ich is my tank because if ich can't find a host it will die off, right? I bought a tang from someone who's has the tang for more than six months...
  17. D

Fuzzy lion with white cloudy eye - help

He is about 4" long and has been in the tnak for over 8 months. Everyhing has been good until yesterday I noticed he was not swimming like he used to and I saw his right eye is totaly swallow and cover with cloudy white patch. What might that be? I am battelting with ich with a PB tang laterly...
  18. D

UV Sterilizer keep ich under control?

Two years ago I had a power brown tang that got ich. It spreaded and killed 90% of the tankmates. It was a sad episode that I vowed never to have any powder tang again. Well two years later, this may happen all over again. I saw this big, fat and wonderful colored PB tang that I couldn't...
  19. D

46" T5 blubs?

Hello, I bought some 48" T5 blubs to replace some burn outs. However, the blubs I received are actually only 45" and I need 46". Where can I buy 46" blubs while most vendors list it as 48"? Thanks Dennis
  20. D

Blue spot boxfish dying

I have had her for six months. She's always been great. Last nigh she was eating like a pig as usual. Tonight she is laying at the sandbed breathing heavily and not moving at all. No sign of any disease. Fear of potential posion, I have moved her out in a hospital tank. I am afraid she won't...