Search results

1. D

Clown behavior

My lone female clown fish is in the tank with 3 seahorses, and a purple firefin. About a month ago I noticed she was acting weird. She will grab a string of macro algae and drag it to one side of the tank, turn around and drag it back. She does this over and over. At first I thought she was...
  2. D

Cross breeding?

I have 3 female H. Comes, and a male H Erectus. The male's pouch has been slowly getting bigger. I didn't want to jump to conclusions, thinking it might be to show off to the females. It has been getting bigger for 2 weeks now. he is not having any problems swimming, and he still eats great...
  3. D

Whole setup sale experience

I have been looking over the forums and I have noticed a lot of threads with people breaking down their system in stages. Has anyone sold a whole system to one person? When you sell it to one person, how well does the livestock take the change? I am considering selling my system and taking a...
  4. D

Clownfish pattern

I recently liberated my female clownfish from the overflow. She is now in my refugium and I noticed she is different than my current clown. Her middle stripe does not connect (dorsal to ventral). It looks like a saddle. They were sold to me as False Percs (ocellaris) Is this normal? is...
  5. D

Disappearing Clown

About 3 months ago I noticed my pair of clowns was down to 1. I have a very effective cleanup crew, and I figured something happened and I would never find the body to see what happened. All water params were fine, and no other fish showed any signs of illness. A few days after it went...
  6. D

ID's please

I have found a lot of snails, they are very tiny, but I wanted to make sure they are not bad snails. I have never seen ones with round shells and fuzzy antenna. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y34FghtZgg Next I have found this and it REALLY scares me. It resembles a cowry, but it has legs...
  7. D

Going out of town, need someone to check on tanks in Frisco

On June 17th - 29th I will be going to Alaska, and I would like to get to know someone in the Frisco area, and have them over a few times before then to get my system ready for the trip. Due to my recent tank mishap, I would like to plan this one out in advance, and get to know the person who I...
  8. D

I got a pair!

I picked out a pair of seahorses. I just got them last night. I have not turned on the lights yet, so they can acclimate and relax some. I will try to feed them today, but I was told they eat frozen. Here are a few pics with my cell phone.
  9. D

Dumb algea question

I would say Cyano...the brown dusting may be diatoms also....but the cyano color and bubbles give that one away easily. What are your nitrates and phosphates at? do you use RO/DI water to top off/ water change?
  10. D

My new seahorse tank!

I just added a second tank to my 180. It is going to act as a display refugium, and possible seahorse tank? I already plumbed it in to my sump, so it is using the same water as my 180. The tank is a 21" x 21" x 21" cube. I have some live rock and macro to place in there. I was thinking of...
  11. D

Coral Beauty has to go!

After a year of peacefully living with all of my coral, my coral beauty has become a nipper! It only nips my green modern coral, but that is one of my favorite pieces! Just a heads up for everyone that has dwarf angels....they may be reef safe, then BAM nip and kill your coral without notice...
  12. D

Time to change bulbs

I have run about to the end of the life span of my MH bulbs. I am going to buy 3 new ones but I saw a lot of different types, but no place that says the difference in a simple manner. I have 10k now and I think I want 15k for the more blue look. Will this affect coral growth in any way? Does...
  13. D

Id please

Some sort of Palythoa??
  14. D

Chemical Warfare??

I recently purchased 3 Ricordeas, and set them on a nice piece of live rock. I have a LOT of flow in my tank, so the little pieces of rubble they were on did not hold them down well. So last night I grab one off the sand bed and (without thinking) wedged it in a piece of rock right next to...
  15. D

Fraggin Leather cuttings and whited-out Fuzzy Mushrooms

have your mushrooms recently been covered from light? I had some mushrooms turn white like that after I moved some coral around and shaded them from the light. As far as your leather frags, mine usually take at least a couple of weeks to fully grab a piece of LR.
  16. D

red frogspawn?

I have seen a pink frogspawn, but not a red one.
  17. D

Anyone use Leakfrog?

I saw these and I was curious if anyone has used them to detect aquarium leaks. http://www.ideativeinc.com/leakfrog.cfm Any feedback on them? Thanks!
  18. D

Display Refugium plumbing Q's

I am planning on adding a large display tank (75 gallon-ish) to my current 180g and use it as a display refugium One question I have is: how would I plumb this into my current system? Through the sump? How big of a pump do I need to move enough water through that big of a refugium, and will my...
  19. D

Coral VS water line

I have two coral that are growing to the water line. One is a SPS and the other is a finger leather. The leather has already grown to the water line, then the tips bend and follow the water line for a while. The one that is bothering me is the SPS. The tips are maybe 1/2 an inch below the...
  20. D

Worm ID please

I have recently discovered a worm in my tank. It is brownish and smoothe, no bristles, legs, nothing really. I do not even think it has a head. I spot it with the red light, and when I turn on the normal light, it is almost like it "rolls" itself inside its own body. It is hard to explain...