I got a pair!

I picked out a pair of seahorses.

I just got them last night. I have not turned on the lights yet, so they can acclimate and relax some. I will try to feed them today, but I was told they eat frozen.

Here are a few pics with my cell phone.

They are H Erectus....the female is taking a little more time to get used to her new environment. The male is all cruising along and swimms really fast to his feeding station when he sees the turkey baster.

I have them in a 1/2 refugium 1/2 tank, so you see them foraging through the macro a lot.

I took some macro shots.

Good shots! Talk about showing me up LOL...I've had seahorses for years and still have yet to take any really good shots!

Thanks! They were right next to the glass, which made it easy to shoot them with my macro lense!

Update: The female did not make it. I am very sad, but I did everything I could. Both of them would not eat frozen. I purchased live food, and the male eats, but the female never would. Now I have the task of trying to convert him over to frozen food....

I think next time I am going to buy from breeders, and pay a little more...

Thats so sad -she was gorgeous. Shipping and rehoming is so very stressful on horses. :cry:

Usually Erectus aren't too hard to convert. If need be buy some glass shrimp and enrich them so he gets his nutrients...then maim the glass shrimp...and..progress to feeding them dead.

www.aquarticles.com/articles/saltwater/ ... _Food.html

The number of enriching products ranges in the thousands, and are specific to what your intended results are; such as general HUFA increase, DHA increase, enriching for color enhancement, additional protein, etc . . . as well as the existing profile of the food you are trying to enrich. Discussing the specific products and uses is beyond the scope of this article. However, some commonly use enrichment products are:

SELCO - increasing HUFAs
Spirulina - Protein, Vitamins, low in HUFAS
Naturose - astaxanthin powder for color enhancement.
Phytoplankton and Phytoplankton pastes - Increasing HUFA, pigmentation
Vibrance - Astaxanthin and HUFAs?
SpectraVital - Rumored to be the same as Vibrance

When you get ready to try again but from Seahorsesource.com. They have wonderful horses and they are great to deal with. Don't mix wc with cb. The results will most likely be disastrous.

Sorry you lost your girl. She was very pretty. :sad:

Update: I have slowly gotten the male seahorse that is left to eat frozen. He is picky but will eat enough frozen to get by.

Yesterday I purchased 3 new Seahorses from Odyssey Pets in plano. I got a really good deal on them too! He assured me that they are eating frozen mysis. They had them at Odyssey Pets for over a month and they looked really healthy. I got them home and slowly acclimated them. After I released them, I waited about 30 minutes and put a small amount of mysis in the feeding station. BAM all 3 ate! I am not sure what kind they are, but I will post a few pics and maybe you guys can help me ID them.

Those look more like Tiger Tails to me. You can get some very helpful info on seahorses at seahorse.org.

Very nice looking horses btw. :)

absolutly gourgous! i originaly got into saltwater to keep seahorses, but i didn't want to fail and loose the little babies. once i ugrade im planning to set up my 24 as a seahorse tank. Well how good of a deal did you get, and what kind of gorgonian is that in there?

They definately look like h.comes to me too. I just sent a PM to a lfs for a price quote on some CBB from ORA not 2 minutes ago too. I'm far past my time for new ponies in my tank.

Best of luck with the new ponies. They look great! :lol: Grats!

ORA isn't breeding H. comes anymore and I think they also aren't breeding barbs either. Their reidi are now Brazilian stock and not from Sir Lanka. I've heard that they are quite nice.

You should check out seahorsesource.com for seahorses. They have some nice horses available and Dan and Abbie are the greatest for service and help.