Search results

1. E

70W Metal Halide

I have access to about a dozen slightly used 70W metal halide ballasts. The hospital I work in id downgrading the entrance lighting to use CFL bulbs to be more energy efficient. They've only been used since Oct when they finished the facility. I can pick them up fairly cheap. Would these be...
  2. E

DSB....How much sand do I need?

Is there any way to figure out how much sand I will need for my DSB? I would like to make the DSB between 4-6" total. I'm going with some SD sand. But I don't know how much I'll need for my 37G tank. The tank is 30"x12"x22" I'll be getting 40lbs of it from a member on Saturday, but I don't know...
  3. E

UGJ system

I was wondering if anyone was running a UGJ system under their DSB? I know they have been used in Freshwater tanks, but I was wondering if anyone had built a jet system to run in their tank for circulation? I've built one for my tank so I can run one powerhead & direct the flow better & don't...
  4. E

Refugium/Sump ----> Help needed!

I'm having a custom tank built to fit under my stand to maximixe the size of my sump. I will put the baffles in it my self. I'm just wondering what opinions are out there on the 2 designs I have considered that I have seen out there. Sump Dimensions are 26"Lx17"Hx11.5"W. Here are two sketches of...
  5. E

Maturing Dry Rock?

How long would it take to mature dry rock in a tank? I was looking at the rock available on marcorocks.com & was wondering how quick it would mature if seeded with a chunk of LR in a tank.
  6. E

A couple of oddball ideas I had

All the overflow boxes I've seen have been square, which is a fairly good design. It's easy to build & sturdy, but I had a wild hair & dreamed this idea up. I don't know if anyone has tried it or not. My idea is that with the angle, it will be less apt to acquire the occasional jumpers. If they...
  7. E

Quick Disconect type fittings.

Where can I find them? I've seen some fittings in pictures that look like they can disconnect quickly & simply. Where do I find these? Looking for 3/4' & 1" fittings. I've got some plain male/female threaded PVC fittings but the ones I've seen in the pics look much more functional.
  8. E

Submersible pump recomendations

Ok I'm getting close to plumbing my 37G tank. I need to know what recommendations y'all have for a submersible pump for the return. Looking for something cost effective since I'm on a budget. Also what kind of gph rate am I looking for? Is it possible to have overkill on the flow rate? The tanks...
  9. E

Plumbing/Drilling Advice

I'm drilling my tank & I've got a couple of questions about plumbing. This is a 1" over flow & a 3/4" return in my 37G tank. Drilling is done on the back near the top edge & not the bottom. The bottom was tempered. The glass chipped a bit on the inside, will this affect anything? It's near the...
  10. E

Live Rock Curing process

Search found 10413 matches!!! :shock: None of which loonked like what I was looking for. :P OK can someone pontificate the basics of curing live rock for me or point me to a link. I keep seeing the phrase "curing live rock". Is this someting I'm going to have to do & how long does it...
  11. E

Drilling a Tank?

I need some advice on this I've got a 37G I am considering drilling on the back. I could do an HOB overflow, but it will likely be a couple of weeks before I can set it up so I have time to drill it. Is anyone here skilled in this area? Could you give advice or be willing to drill it for me? I...
  12. E

What make's it a nano

So what qualifies a tank to be a nano? Is it 30G or less? Or does equipment have a factor in it? Gotta be a cube? Just a simple Noob question, I guess I'm clueless. :oops:
  13. E

Overflow Boxes

Is this a good deal on on overflow box? My tank isn't drilled so I'm going to have to have an overflow box if I want a sump. Ebay Overflow setup
  14. E

Reef Safe Clean up crew

Ok I've been looking at enough crabs/snails to make my eyes cross tring to figure out what is or isn't reef safe & what won't kill each other. What would be a good mix & quantity for my 37G tank when I am ready to buy them? I see some fairly good deals online, but is this something better...
  15. E

Newbie with New Tank & Questions

Ok I have a couple of questions. I've got a 37G that I'm going to set up as a reef tank. There are some things I need to know & things I need to do before I can really get going. 1) If I build a Sump/refugium w a DSB how deep should the DSB be? a) how big should the Sump area be vs the fuge...
  16. E

Finaly diving into SW Aquariums & Need advice

I've been doing planted FW for some time now, & I've been wanting to add a SW reef tank to my addiction. I have a 20L "Betta Condo" that I made & built a stand for. I was considering getting rid of the divided 20L & adding a 29G or 37G since they have the same foot print & will fit on the stand...