Recent content by Trackz

1. T

Activated Carbon

I'm in preparation to dose Flatworm eXit on my tank. Salifert recommends using 1 lb./50 gallons of activated carbon to remove it. Being that I have a big tank, I'll need 7+ lbs. Since I was having a hard time finding a big enough canister filter, I went ahead and built one (pretty good I think...
  2. T

Welcome back me....I have some problems (long)

It's been about 11 months since I've been active on this board; mostly do to a ton of international travel for work. To all those still here...nice to talk to you again; to all those that have joined since...nice to meet you. Well, due to the extrodinary amount of travel I've had lately (gone...
  3. T

Flatworm id

[I know most flatworms are harmless, but I'm not sure what I have. I AM fairly certain they're flatworms, and they don't display the "three lobes" of the dreaded red planaria. There aren't terribly many of them, and they all seem to be relegated to the glass...mostly in the refugium. Any help...
  4. T

Possible rtn? - What can i do?

[I got a beautiful little frag of green slimer from Peter a month and a half ago. It was doing wonderfully and growing like a weed. Yesterday, I noticed one of the smaller 'limbs' had bleached. I thought possibly another sweeper tentacle or my BTA that's been moving about lately may have...
  5. T

Qt tank thoughts?

[I admit, like most, I haven't been the best at always QT'ing new arrivals. I am receiving a fish from an online store in the next few days and re-setup my QT tank last night. The fish will be in the neighborhood of 1.5-2.5" in size. Right now, here's what I've done: - Standard 10g aquarium -...
  6. T

Anyone ordered fish online?

[I've never ordered a fish online. I'm just wondering what to watch out for, good/bad experiences, etc. I'm thinking of using LiveAquaria.com.]
  7. T

Throttling back pumps

[I know there have been numerous questions about this in the past, and so here's what I have learned after a lengthy discussion today with one of the Dolphin pump engineers: 1) Never, under any circumstances, use a valve to throttle back the pump intake. This can severely damage the pump. 2)...
  8. T

Aquacontroller or octopus - Which is better?

[I'm looking for good/bad point of these. I'm sure some of you have had both. I need to figure out which one I'll get for the new tank.]
  9. T

Sealing bulkheads - Silicone?

[I realize they weren't designed to need it, but what would be a disadvantage of sealing (inside/outside/both) bulkheads with silicone on a new tank? I'm sure people have it setup with and without, but has anyone done any research on it?]
  10. T

300g setup log - Everyone else has one :)

[Alright, I thought I'd share my experiences getting this beast setup. Hopefully some, including me, can learn some new things from this stuff. THE STAND I decided on a steel stand covered in wood. By the end, this should look like a regular piece of furniture. It's going to be black instead...
  11. T

Recommendations on a ca reactor

[I'm getting ready to purchase a Ca Reactor and am looking for input. I don't really have any experience with them, so I'm not sure what 'features' to look for. About all I know is that the second reaction chamber is a good thing and the reactor should have a bubble counter. This will be for a...
  12. T

Clownfish spat

[Anyone know how long a clownfish can beat another up until they get along? Maybe never? I picked up two fase percs. a month and a half ago. One very quickly became the female and immediately started pecking at the other one. Now, it's an every day thing...he hides the best he can, but she...
  13. T

Asm skimmer - Anyone have one?

[If anyone has an ASM skimmer, could you tell me how you like it? Also, how much up-room do you need to get that o-ring collection cup off?]
  14. T

Open top vs. closed top - Canopy or no

[Specifically regarding MH setups. Which do most prefer: canopy style systems or pendant/hanging fixture style systems. Please give reasons.]
  15. T

Glass overflows

[Does anyone have their internal overflows made out of glass instead of acrylic. I'm wondering how they perform.]