Recent content by newtofish

1. N

Hello DFWMAS

I am posting in the NTH forum because that is how I feel. I have moved back somewhat close to Metroplex and I am starting a new build. I currently have a small 14 Biocube setup and gathering pieces for a 40B. I bought the tank at the $1 gallon sale and already have the light and plenty of rock...
  2. N

Well, not really new.

Thought I would post here, I was a Member of DFWMAS from 2004 to 2010. I have relocated to Nashville and am just getting back into the hobby. I figured this board contains the best group of reefers so I would re-join so you guys can answer all of my stupid questions again. I am going to put...
  3. N

Article on Skimmers

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2#h1 Really great article on Skimmers. I did get heavy-head in a couple of parts but well worth plowing through.
  4. N

Will this work

I found a 300W CF fixture at Tractor Supply that has a 6,700K. It is only $49.00 with bulbs. I was wondering if it would work for a frag/grow out tank. I have looked online and can find a link, but they sell the replacement bulbs for $19.00 there. The color temp seems OK for a grow out. Any...
  5. N

Directions to Information

I have been looking online and I am have a hard time finding information on the different controllers available for our tanks. I can find many places to buy them but I am looking for just what they do and what you need to get it done. The websites mention X-10s and other things I have no idea...
  6. N

Where to look?

Can someone please give me their recommendations for websites that sell T5 retro fit pieces and parts.
  7. N

Getting back in!

I have been watching an empty 50 gallon circulate water for about 9 months now. There is nothing in it but sand and rock. I travel for a living and funds are short so I thought I would just keep the LR alive and wait until I get a break from work to set it up. My main problem has been not being...
  8. N

Ocean Runner Pumps?

I have the 3500 and I have not had any problems with it. I bought it because one came on my skimmer and when I needed a new return pump I thought it would be good to keep all of the pumps the same. Their customer service is awesome. When I broke my impeller (All me, not the manufacturers fault)...
  9. N

My Snowflake is Broken

Last night I went to feed my Snowflake Eel. I have been gone for a week and he is used to eating every 3 or 4 days. I thawed a shrimp and stuck it in the water and he came swimming out. He grabbed the shrimp and dropped it. I watched as he chased it around but he could not pick it up. I reached...
  10. N

CF Help

Is there a club member here who can trouble shoot and or fix CF fixtures? I have 2 duel 95w ballasts and 2 duel 65w ballasts and all 4 will only light 1 bulb each. I have completely removed them from my canopy and at this time I am just using overdriven NO bulbs. I only have low light critters...
  11. N

Redoing sump

I have a question and I wanted everyone input. After the holiday season I am going to be revamping my sump/refuge area with some of my CHRISTmas presents off of my wish list. I am going to be adding sand, baffles and a new return pump to my sump/refuge. I think it will be down for about a...
  12. N

YT w/eating disorder

I have a question concerning one of my Yellow Tangs, He/she flucuates back and forth by not eating, looking rail-thin and then eating again. It is on one of the skinny/weak cycles now and I found him stuck to a power head this morning. I pried it off and he swam away like nothing happened. Does...
  13. N

Tufa Rock

Has any one used the Tufa rock from Whiz-Q in their tanks? I have about 40 lbs and it looks pretty good. I had to break some pieces apart to get the look I wanted because they were mostly round. I do not have have a camera so I was hoping someone else would post some pics if they are using it...
  14. N

Unorthodox cooling

Well guys I got hit by the summer heat yesterday. When I leave the house in the morning I always move my A/C to about 78. With my fans and lights the tank always maintains about 80. Well I am not sure what I did but when I got home yesterday and thermostat was sitting on about 82 and my tank...
  15. N

Not really an In-Wall, but close.

Well I have recieved permission from the wife, keeper of the checkbook to build a "Faux" in wall tank. This is a couple of months down the line and I wanted to post my ideas here so I can plan out any mistakes that could arise. My plan is to use my current 125 as the display. My 60 cube as a...