Recent content by Mr.X-ray

1. M

Setting up a CO2 Ca system.

Well the wife does not want to deal with the kalk while I travel for work and my tank needs the Ca/Alk boost now as the corals are blowing up. So, I'm going to install a CO2 Ca system. Anyone have any experence with this regulator/solenoid. good, bad, fine tuneing? Should I get the extra needle...
  2. M

Frozen Phyto?

OK before I ask. I know the best is fresh or live and have my cultures going well. BUUUUUUUUUT, With traveling all the time for work now and the growing corals haveing a higher demand now its going to be a process of feeding for the help or family members. Soooo, I was thinking of measuring a...
  3. M

Phyto grow out equipment

Was wondering if I could use the San Fransico Bay Brine shrimp Hatcher base to raise phyto in? I was just looking at Marc's page about raising phyto and notice his sitting there. This got me thinking because I have 2 that I do not use as of now. Has anyone ever tried? Known Issues? I would think...
  4. M

So close together?

Seems everything I read says keep your corals away from each other. "They will put out tenticles and fight for space..etc...." yada yada... However, all the awesome tanks have tons of various SPS,LPS and softies mixed in with each other and in very close proximity. How do you prevent a war from...
  5. M

Time line for raising and feeding clown fry.

OK, my False percs laid eggs last night for the first time! I was woundering when they would as the female changed noticably about 2 months ago. I'm not going to try and raise this set though as I am going to HI in a couple of days. However it got me thinking.... If I had all the equipment ready...
  6. M

Plant growth ID please....

Along with a serious algea bloom, I have a couple plant looking type growths that have popped up also. Can someone ID for me? TIA
  7. M

Snail ID help please

Found a hitch hicker in my new Zoa's. It is spiral shell and black with white spots. It's to small for me to take a pic of at about a 1/4 inch. Idea's? TIA
  8. M

Growth at 8 weeks. ID also please...

I got thee 2 pieces 8 weeks ago. We feed the tanks with one cube of San Francisco Bay Brine or Mysis, and 3 drops Kent Marine PhytoPlex daily.
  9. M

How long in the bag for transport?

Well, I get to fly home tomorrow after a long work trip in the morning. I want to go to the LFS here in Anchorage to purchase some 1/2" Acro frags for $5 each. My concern is how long will they be ok for? As I have to buy them before I go to work tonight and fly before the LFS opens in the...
  10. M

Pin Cushion Urchin poop or?

I was watching my new urchin last night and suddenly out the top came lots of little yellowish balls maybe 100 or so. Tiny things about a 1/16th inch. Do they poop like rabbits, or are they possibly eggs? If you think its eggs are they fertilized?
  11. M

Ca Reactors and CO2

Researching Ca reactors I've found most if not all manufactures require/need/want a CO2 set-up with them. Is this necessarally true? Can someone set up one without the bottle and it still be useful equipment? If so what brands are working for you?
  12. M

BIG lighting upgrade!!!

Well its my B-day next week plus in Alaska we have our permanent fund comeing soon. Splurg on me! So I am making some seriously needed upgrades to the tank. I bought this http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewItem~idProduct~CU01077.html (Upgrade from a 3x54w florescent), 3 of those cool Korila power...
  13. M

Colts split

I bought a little group of Colts (cladiella) a little while back. Not thinking I put the rock that they were attached to into a little hole in a fairly large LR. Well now some are split off and attached to the LR. I was wondering if it was safe to move remove them and try to get them to latch on...
  14. M

Flow rate (GPH) in the reef.

Hello all, New guy here. I've been working on my 120g All-glass for about 1 1/2 years now, and All-glass model 4 sump that I added an extra baffle to the main area to make into a refugium. Tank was live rock, fish, and large carpet anenome only. Now I am getting into the corals. ie small pieces...