Phyto grow out equipment

Was wondering if I could use the San Fransico Bay Brine shrimp Hatcher base to raise phyto in? I was just looking at Marc's page about raising phyto and notice his sitting there. This got me thinking because I have 2 that I do not use as of now. Has anyone ever tried? Known Issues? I would think this would be a good set up because there will be no settling at the bottom. :?:

I've never tried it, and I don't know why. Maybe because you can't grow very much in a cut bottle with a wide open top? You could invert the end you cut off to act like a cap. Let us know how it goes for you.

I know this is an older post but i am trying to grow some phyto in a brine shrim hatchery. I chose this for 3 reasons the hatchery was free, i dont drink soda so i dont have and 2L bottles laying around, and because of the tapered shape of the container, the bubbles coming from the bottom stir up almos all the phyto that settles on the bottom. It also helps having that valve at the bottom for mess free dispensing. This is my first attempt at growing phyto and im using marcs/your recipe on his/your web site im about 5 days in to it and so far so good. heres a pic.

You don't have to have any fancy equipment to grow phyto. You just need a vessel, aeration and light source. I use 1 gallon plastic vinegar jugs that I run a piece of stiff air tubing down to the bottom. Stiff air tubing can be found at Petsmart for $1.99 ea.

the only problem i found with doing it with the hatchery is if you dont get the air tube in the valve at the bottom of the cone, phyto builds up and dies and crashed the culture.