Recent content by MLord

1. M

How did I get flatworms?

Ok so I'll be as honest as possible here. I've totally been lacking in the upkeep of my tank the last few months. baaaad. I finally got around to doing a waterchange and cleaning up the tank last night. The front pane of glass was literally covered in GHA(but there isn't any GHA on the...
  2. M

What do you think about my fish list?

Ok, my tank is done cycling and in the next week or two I want to start stocking it with fish. I have a fish wish list going and I'd like some (experienced) input on how they'd interact, which order they should go, and whether or not they could all go in the tank together. Also, I'm obviously...
  3. M

Garf Grunge?

Has anyone on here ever used Garf Grunge in their sandbed? I'm setting up a 40g breeder and contemplating using some. What are your thoughts on it? Is it actually full of all kinds of microfauna like they say? What does it look like? Does it just look like the live sand you buy in bags at...
  4. M

Moving an anemone?

I have a few questions about the safety of moving my anemone. I've had him in my tank for about a month now. He's been doing great, but he decided to move up into the corner of my nanocube where my return is. His foot is half on the side glass and half on the back black acrylic section of my...
  5. M

Clownfish and Anemone question

I have two clownfish in my nanocube right now that are getting along just fine. I bought them about 2 weeks ago (tank bred). I'm pretty sure one's a male and one's a female because one's almost twice the size as the other. No way to know for sure though...they came out of a tank with like 40...
  6. M

crab on clam question

Last night one of my scarlet reef crabs shed his skin (or died, couldn't really tell but no shell was present). The skin was up on a rock and I didn't think much of it. Just now I noticed the skin had fallen off the rock landing dead center in my clams mantle. The clam looks perfectly happy...
  7. M

small fish trap

Does anyone have a small fish trap that I could borrow? Around 3-4 inches so it would fit in my 12gal nano. I have a ridiculously aggressive bi-colored pseudochromis that I'm trying to get out of there. I could give you a small struggling frag of gorilla nipple zoas(with a small amount of...
  8. M

modding a maxijet?

I've got a mj900 that I'm about to put in my nanocube as a return pump but it's a little too large. Would it be ok if I cut off the intake tubing(arrow pointing to it in pic)? Would it effect the pump at all? Or would it be fine. I'm not looking to mod it to make it more powerful or anything.
  9. M

chaetomorpha question

I have a 12 gallon nanocube that's open top with a 70watt K2 Viper clipped on the back. I want to put chaetomorpha in one of the chambers in the back but I have a lighting question first. Does the chaetomorpha need 24hours of light? Or would it be ok with the 10 hours of light the rest of my...
  10. M

Suggestions for lighting on my nano

I've got a 12 gallon JBJ nano cube that I'm in the process of setting up right now. My hood's wiring recently crapped out on me so I'm looking to buy a new fixture. I want to have mostly zoanthids and softies....maybe a low lighting SPS or two. I don't really want to get MH's because that...
  11. M

Does anyone dose this product?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19667 I got a 500ml bottle of it for christmas. I haven't dosed it yet because I can't find a potassium test kit anywhere. If you dose it, do you notice any difference? Any negative effects? And does anyone know where to get a...
  12. M

Who comes up with Zoanthid names?

I've always wondered who comes up with those weird zoanthid names. Anybody have any idea? Do they come from the person who finds them in the wild? Is it just me or does it seem like some stoner names these..."Dude, those look like EAGLE EYES!" or "Dude, those look like PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS!"...
  13. M

Grape Caulerpa Infestation

The last week or so I've had a pretty bad infestation of Caulerpa. It basically sprouted out of nowhere and now it's taking over the entire left side of my tank. Does anything eat it? Are there any urchins/crabs/nudi's/fish that munch down on this stuff? I've pulled out as much as I could a...
  14. M

Tyree and LE corals

I'm just curious, but what makes these corals so expensive? And what makes them limited editions? Are they extremely rare in the wild? Are they really hard to keep? Are they all aquacultured? I know Tyree corals are from Steve Tyree, but what makes them so special? They're all really...
  15. M

Sexy Shrimp

I have 4 sexy shrimp in my tank which are probably my favorite inverts. Does anyone have any information on breeding these? Have they ever been bred in captivity? How do you know if they've paired up or begun mating? What do the eggs look like? Two of the four are always right next to each...