Recent content by Fish Outta Water

1. F

Moving a tank

We are currently having to make a tough decision. We are moving around the first of the year. The problem is do we take out with us or do we break it down, sell everything, and start over when we get settled into the new house? We have a Red Sea 650s. It's 175 gallon all in one tank that's been...
  2. F

High Phosphates in Salt Mix

Has anyone experienced high phosphates in a new batch of salt water right after you mix? We have been using Salinity by Aquavitro for the past 2 years. Recently we noticed a rise in our phosphate levels in the tank. So I decided to test some left over water that I was storing in a jug. It was...
  3. F

Lighting for DSA Neo nano 34g frag tank

Any suggestions for led lighting for a frag tank? I am only interested in LEDs. So please keep your suggestions on topic. The tank is 24x24x15 I think. I just got the plumbing done. I'm planning on plumbing in with our 175. I am considering the AI Hydra or Radion Pro. I am not limited to these...
  4. F

Dosing Pump Setup

I am in the process of setting up a kamoer 3 channel dosing pump for alk, mg, and ca. I have never messed with dosing pumps before and want to make sure I do it right. 1. I know the pump should be close to and above the dosing containers. However, is there a limit to distance from the pump to...
  5. F

Need Identification

Can anyone tell me what this is? We noticed it a couple of weeks ago coming out of the back of our rockscape. It has slowly moved about a foot or so over this time through our sandbed. I have no clue what it is. My guesses are that it's a ricordea that we had from our old tank but went missing...
  6. F

Lubbocks fairy wrasse missing

We recently purchased a Lubbock's wrasse. We haven't seen it since we put it in the tank on Tuesday. Is this normal behavior for these wrasses? I know he didn't jump out because we have a net top. We have also checked the overflow and sump and he's not there. No body. No wrasse. Matt
  7. F

Dremel saw to cut stonies

What do we buy to cut stony corals? I need to know exactly what to buy to cut stony corals. I have heard of using a dremel but I need to know what saw to buy. Matt
  8. F

Plumbing a Nano into existing DT

I have a 175 gallon red sea 650. I recently purchased a 6 gallon nano to plumb into the existing plumbing. I have a mag 18 that supplies the chiller and biopellet reactor that i will tee off to the nano. The nano will drain into a filter sock inside the sump. I am almost finished. What do I need...
  9. F

Help Selecting LEDs

We are in the process of changing out the lighting on our Red Sea 650s. The tank runs very hot with 800 watts of t5 lighting and all of the pumps. In pricing out bulbs over the next few years, we believe that we would spend just as much money on t5 replacement bulbs as we would on LEDs. Every...
  10. F

New Era Mini Marine Grazer reef safe?

Is this stuff reef safe? Our tangs are loving it but I noticed on the label that it has an additive called cupric sulfate pentahydrate. alt=""> alt=""> Matt
  11. F

The Tucker's Red Sea 650 build

We bought a Red Sea 650 back in November. I didn't start a thread here back then so here it is. Gonna post a few pics of the build. Will continue over the next few days. We are now almost 6 months in on this tank. We bought the tank that was used at the macna conference at the Red Sea setup. So...
  12. F

Lyretail anthias behavior

We just bought a lyretail anthias last night for the new tank. He has started shaking. Is the shaking normal. We read somewhere about flukes. I really hope this is not the case.
  13. F

Power outage.

The power in our neighborhood has been out 25 minutes. How long can my fish and coral live with any power? 34 gallon red sea max 5 fish 50 lbs of rock Frogspawn, torch, etc. bubble tip anemone Hermit crabs The list goes on.
  14. F

Red Sea Max 130d Biomedia

Our nitrates have risen a bit in the past few weeks. Between 30 & 40 ppm. I have read that the biomedia (our bag of stones that came withe the red sea max) can cause elevated nitrate levels. Several people have stated that they do not like to use any kind of rock or stone in their filtration...
  15. F

Help! My fish Keep Dying!!! :(

I have a 50 gallon aquarium that has been running for a little while and my fish keep dying. My nitrates, nitrites, pH, alkalinity, ammonia, phosphates, salinity, dissolved oxygen, and copper (0) are in a normal range. I bought 6 chromis, all died the next day. A couple days later I bought 3...