Moving a tank

We are currently having to make a tough decision. We are moving around the first of the year. The problem is do we take out with us or do we break it down, sell everything, and start over when we get settled into the new house?

We have a Red Sea 650s. It's 175 gallon all in one tank that's been up and running for almost two years. Love the tank. But moving it seems like such a major ordeal. We've already decided we will sell our frag tank soon. But the big tank is a sore subject in our house right now. We both know we should probably get rid of it until we get moved. But it's hard to do.

How difficult is it to move a big tank safely without hurting the fish, corals, and tank itself? Or are we better off to sell it all. Save the cash. And start over when we get settled. We love our tanks so it's a hard decision.
y6edy7a3.jpg
alt="">

If you are just moving a few miles or into a new local neighborhood, then I would just keep it. If you are planning on doing a major move across the country or something, then I would keep your best equipment and sell the aquarium. You will take a loss, but will have less stress of moving the aquarium. If you have already purchased a new house, I'm sure there is plans for a new aquarium. [smilie=wink.gif]

The trimming on Closing on the sell of the current home and the closing on the new home may not work out... If you can do it all the same day Ok... If not sell live stock... Keep tank and set it back up in the new home... Time to aqua scape it and you can take your time.

You could try and find a LFS or a trustworthy fellow reefer that lives close by that has a QT system that would be willing to house all of your live stock for you. It would have to be a big tank, but even then would be a logistical PITA.

I'd take it with you. I did a tank move, luckily it was less than 5 minutes but it was successful. Lots of buckets, coolers, and towels to wrap live rock into. Took many hours but worth it. Just have enough water to put back into the tank and use some old water as well. I just treated it as a 50% or so water change.

~Matt

For a local move like that, I would keep it. If you are concerned about timing, see if a LFS or fellow club member in the area can hold the livestock so that you can take your time getting everything setup at the new house.

Yep keep it I have moved mine twice in two years and use all the same sand with the coral and fish just make sure the mean coral are separated from each other and watch the temp on the fish