Recent content by dvups1

1. D

I have a filterless reef too!!!!!

:D Mine doesn't even have a sand bed :shock: . It does have a ditritus bed though. It is nothing a 1-2 gallon a month water change can't handle. Here are some pictures of my little 12 gallon JBJ nano. alt=""> alt=""> alt=""> alt=""> alt="">
  2. D

Easy DIY return line nozzle

This is a simple way to make a return line nozzle. If you have access to a small butane torch, pliers, and pvc, you can do this. Simply take the pvc and gently heat it with the torch. When the PVC is soft enough you can pinch it closed with a pair of pliers. To speed the hardening process of...
  3. D

Why is my sand turning this color?

:shock: I found this on OZREEF.........
  4. D

Ok Marc, here it comes........

This thread will be an attempt to chronical my son's new 90 gallon tank. We hope to have a nice example of mixed LPS with a few SPS. I still am not sure if softies will make it. Tank specs: We have decided to go with a 36x24x24 regular glass tank and have an external overflow. Tank equipment...
  5. D

How to build a glass tank.......

I was talking with Marc about several things and mentioned that my son is going to upgrade from his JBJ Nano to a larger tank. Marc recommended I chronical the event with a tank "build" thread so I thought I would start at the very beginning with the tank construction. I see a lot of people...
  6. D

Did you know that algae can scar glass............

:shock: I recently cleaned up a 115 gallon tank that had not had the glass cleaned in over 2 years. You could not see into any part of the tank from the outside because of all the coraline and hair algae. If you looked straight down into the water the rock was fine but the glass was a mess...
  7. D

How big should your cleaner crew be?

[Just remember that these folks are in the business of selling clean up crews. Each tank is different and the number of animals needed to stay in control will vary on a number of things such as age of lights, type o lights, how heavy you feed your tank, how often you do a water change and so on...
  8. D

Need new vho bulbs...recommendations?

[What kelvin is the MH bulb?]
  9. D

New 240 gallon now in progress - Finally!

[Well, after doing my initial research on lighting and water movement, my plans are gathering steam and the project is on it's way. I am going to document everything in a yahoo photo album and continuously update it with new pics and comments. Wish me luck! :smart: My 240 gallon reef from startup.]
  10. D

New 240 in progress - Planning stages.....implementation

[OK. I am off and running on my new 240. I ripped out the sheet rock in the garage and 2 small storage closets. One of the closets housed my water heater. The water heater will be relocated and a utility basin will be installed in it's place. The room that is to enclose the tank will measure...
  11. D

Place your bets! - Is my rose anemone going to survive?

[Well, in my excitement to see my linkia regenerating a new body I ran to get my camera to record the event. I also recorded this tragedy. My Mag 5 stainer got ahold for my beautiful orange with green center rose BTA. :very sad:]
  12. D

Check this out! - Linkia regeneration

[I bought a multi-color linkia from one of our sponsors (5th Day Aquatics) a while back. After a couple of months it lost an arm for some reason. Well today I came home to this....]
  13. D

Say " bye bye " to the great barrier reef - Interesting article

[:tear2: I wonder how long it will really take? http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....reef_dc]
  14. D

Chiller - DIY project

[Yes, I have pics and plans. If you are a DIYer and have the ability it blows away anthing on the hobby's market. :;):]