Recent content by chromey

1. C

changing a MH bulb

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what is the best method of replacing a MH (HQI) bulb without shattering it? I know you're not supposed to touch the crystal part with your hands, so do I wear gloves or what?
  2. C

need some help with fan mounting

I need to get some fans up on my 20H tank since I added my MH pendant. My temperatures as of late are hitting around 83 and I'm a little concerned about it. The issue I'm running into is that since I have an open top, I don't know how/where I'd mount fans. I saw this...
  3. C

MH pendant mounting

I bought a MH pendant and got it today, however with my ceiling being extremely vaulted, hanging it directly from the ceiling is not an option. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to mount this over my tank?
  4. C

How do I catch this fish, or my six line is a PITA

So I originally had a firefish, a yasha goby and a six line wrasse. They all lived together peacefully for about a month. Then my six line decided it hated everyone and everything and completely and literally tore my firefish to shreds. The yasha survived as it hides in a burrow under a rock...
  5. C

I have too much stuff and too little room

So it turns out 20 gallons isn't nearly large enough to fit all the equipment I have. I'm trying to find a way to rearrange and/or remove things so that everything is still efficient but doesn't look like garbage and has enough flow. I have a 20H with a MJ600, a MJ900 with a hydor flo attached...
  6. C

xenia going sexual?

I have a frag of xenia that I had rubberbanded about a week ago to a small rock. I saw that it was pretty much attached, so I went to remove the rubberband. When I removed it, the xenia started spewing out some cloud, so I quickly removed it from the water and put it in a "quarantine" bucket...
  7. C

a RO/DI system for a 20gal?

Is it worth it? I was looking at the ones Marc has on his site, but 100gpd seems like a touch too much for a 20g tank. Anything smaller/cheaper out there, or am I looking all around that amount of gpd anyhow? I guess it still comes back to is it even worth a RO/DI system for that small of a...
  8. C

glass top or eggcrate?

I bought a firefish at the meeting yesterday and figured I needed something covering the top of my tank so he doesn't jump out. Am I better using a glass cover or eggcrate? If eggcrate, where is the best place to get it?
  9. C

any idea what these things are?

not sure what the heck these are - they're multiplying though.. I thought they were bubble algae, but all the bubble algae I've seen has been green. Any ideas?
  10. C

lighting refresher

I haven't messed with aquariums in about a year now, so I need a refresher. I know for SOME different types of lighting, the necessary wattage per gallon for lower light softies changes. IE from what I remember, T5's are typically lower wattage requirements, correct? I had T5's before (when...
  11. C

need some help finding local live rock

so I haven't been on here in about a year (I had a 20gal reef that exploded out of the blue and haven't had a tank since) but I'm getting ready to start again this coming month. I noticed that 5th day aquatics is gone (makes me sad :() so I'm trying to find somewhere semi-local to get some...
  12. C

Need plans for a stand/cabinet

[I'm not the best when it comes to woodworking but I figure I'll give it a shot anyhow. I'm trying to get a cabinet type stand setup for a 20g high tank so I need something that's at least 20" long, 15" deep and 24" high (I am putting a 10gal as a sump underneath in the cabinet area). If anyone...
  13. C

Live rock local stores

[What stores local to keller/richland hills/bedford/haltom city (the general northeast tarrant area) sell live rock at a decent price? I've seen that Keller Farms does but I'm honestly not too impressed with their live rock selection.]