Why did it have to happen?

Well after about 4 months of trying to figure out what the heck happened to my tank im pretty sure I found the problem this time. However I have never had this problem before so I dont know how bad it really is.(which in my mind is really bad)

While cleaning my fish tank today, I tried to retrieve a sure grip that fell in the overflow chamber a LONG time ago.

I had a seio m620 that was on it that fell so I just put the pump on a rock in the same spot. The tank was jam packed with liverock and tons of corals so taking the tank down was the only option to get that magnet out(which I didnt want to do at all). SInce the pump was fine where it was I just forgot about it and the tank seemed fine for a little while.
It was basically a tank crash(sps wise) after that . I gave any live sps remains to friends. All lps and fish have been fine since the problems occured. All inverts died though. I tested paramters constantly and all seemed normal. Once the tank was gettin so bad I gave up and didnt do much but top off and chagne the water every 2 weeks or so cause i didnt know what else to do.

Anyways, as i picked it up by sliding it up with another side of a suregrip, i noticed it had poped open when it fell. Sure enough inside I see the metal interior rusted completely. :evil:

at least 4 months later-Currently my tank has a couple brains and a scolymia that have been non affected throughout the crash. ALl the LR has weird neon brown velvet agae type growth on it that goes way when the lights are off and gets really bright nast brown when the lights come on for a couple hours. Other than that the fish are as fat and healthy as can be.

Im running a lot of carbon and polyfilters and will do water changes.
I have been cooking 100 llbs of the 150 that was orignally in the tank for about 2 weeks now. I wanted to do it longer but I need to get the current rock out of there now so ill need some of that cooked LR. paramaters all seem fine. I need to go get a copper test for sure.

Just thought I would make a post about how I think my tank crashed so other people dont accidently drop them and forget about them because they are to hard to reach.

I will updated the thread in the upcoming weeks to report how the tank is doin.

At least you found the problem! Check on RC in the chemistry forum, but I recall that GFO has some capability to remove metal contamination.

Ya ive been lookin through some threads over there. Good info ..thanx!

Come to find out my other sure grip for another pump in my tank(that has never fallen like the other did) was barely poped open in one corner.
Memo to self.. never use suregrips again. I need to get a vortech for sure.

@BlueTORT wrote:
Ya ive been lookin through some threads over there. Good info ..thanx! Come to find out my other sure grip for another pump in my tank(that has never fallen like the other did) was barely poped open in one corner. Memo to self.. never use suregrips again. I need to get a vortech for sure. said:
Im using them as frag rack bases currently.. this is a wake up to check them for sure. Same with frag mags etc.

Ya they come apart easily and I can understand that one droped and busted open, but the other has never fell like that and was barely poped open to. Straight metal insde.AHHH!
Even though the other drop since it was in water you would think that the water would break the fall, but no that thing was wide open with rust EVERYWHERE.

I would keep an eye on the magnets if you have them.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Evan. I try not to keep any magnets in my tank (of course, the tunze magnets are a little different and I clean them every 6 weeks or so). No mag-floats, etc.

I was wondering what went down with you. I am glad you found it. I hope you can get everything resolved and get back on track. I still have the bonsai looking coral that I got from you. It is one of my favorites, Even though i can't keep the red bugs off of it.

take care

yuki

Hey hows it goin Yuki?

That was one of my favorite acros. Sadly it didnt make it through all the mess . If you ever can frag a piece of it I would love to buy a frag from ya.

Keep in touch.
Evan

I am well. i will keep you updated. I am about to have a day of dipping. Fun with fluke tabs and exterminator (what ever you call that stuff).

Laters bra

My apologies for being such a newb, but I could not find the Chemistry topic... I am very interested in what tests I can perform to check for metal contamination. I have not been able to keep any fish alive other than PJ Cardinals and all of the standard tests are coming out within normal boundaries.

Would you point me in the right direction?

Thanx!

What does GFO stand for?

With regard to magnets, when I ordered a new Tunze 9002 for my NanoCube 12g (I have 9002s in my 20g & 24g) I found they now come with a magnet attachment. I also found I could upgrade my old 9002s with magnet holders. So I ordered a pair for one of my skimmers. Totally sealed up, super strong magnets.

Sorry that happened to you.

@debdp wrote:
What does GFO stand for? With regard to magnets said:
GFO = Granular Ferric Oxide. Basically it's oxidized iron, more commonly known as "rust". It's primarily used to bind phosphate (PO4-) ions.

I think the person meant GAC (Granular Activated Carbon), not GFO. Running carbon will remove dissolved heavy metals quickly via adsorbtion. GFO essentially is a heavy metal, so it most likely won't remove any significant quantities of them.

I hope things improve for the original poster. Don't give up!

@debdp wrote:
What does GFO stand for? said:
Granular Ferric Oxide -- ironically enough, rust is also ferric oxide; GFO is just a form of ferric oxide that can bind phosphates, some metals and some other materials to it...

There's a good article on what GFO is and does by Randy Holmes-Farly here.

(Edit -- Whoops -- BigJay got there first... Actually, GFO can bind some metals, apparently -- I'm not sure iron is one of them, however)

@gmax wrote:
We does some iron to help Macro grow said:
Ya see that's where im not sure. I dont know much about the rust and what it does so I cant for sure point my finger at the rust bein the problem. All i know is that the magnet was COMPletely covered in it. and im sure sps and inverts did not like it.lol. I dont know what other type of metals are in it besides the magnet because it is soo rusted. It was only my sps and inverts that suffered, so it was not a "nuked" tank. Most my lps and all my fish have been as healthy as can be. I really hope it was that magnet rust that caused the weird brown algae. Id never seen anything like it. Similar growth types but a way diferent color.

wow that is nuts, sorry to hear it.

well, it is very possible that with a lot of iron or other metals in the system this could favor the growth of certain species of algae or bacteria, like the ones you mentioned. just like in the ocean there are different "niches" with different inhabitants I would imagine that with a high metal or iron content certain organisms would suddenly fluorish.

Sorry, Blue Tort, to hear what happened. That is a heads-up to me to check my magnets. Do you think the Korallia magnets could cause a problem? So many of us have those Korallias in our tanks.

When you get ready to try again, I will help you out with some sps frags. I have a lot of things I could frag.

Kay

Come to think of it lots of folks on here are using frag magnets to mount their sps frags. since there is a magnet on both sides made of iron, and some are putting both sides in the water ( like using the overflow ) I am again skeptical that this is your problem. If it was, seems like others would be noticing a problem too.

@janakaybravo wrote:
Sorry said:
Thanks Kay for being so generous. I will for sure keep that in mind.

Ya i wouldnt be to worried about the Korallia's. These sure grips are not even suppose to open. They are sealed tight. However, since it did drop and bust open thats why it could be a problem. I dont know what other metals could be in the plastic besides Iron, but it could be just the magnets, I dunno. I dont understand how rusted metal would not be a bad thing. It had to be a cause of why the sps and inverts diedand most likely even the weird algae. Makes sense to me. Frag mags are a magnet ment to be exposed. The inside of a sure grip is not. Also its very random that a tank that has had no problems for 2 years just over night starts to look bad. The pump fell within a month or two before I started seeing problems. Maybe even weeks...I dont remeber though, it was a while ago.

@janakaybravo wrote:
Sorry said:
I questioned the same thing as a couple times I found the magnet popped out of the rubber holder. But I don't know if the magnet is additionally covered with something.