Water Temp

Crotalus

Premium Member
My DI water filters and water storage are outside.  In the shade, but still outdoors.  When I went to do a water change the temp was 90 degrees.  10 lbs of ice only brought the 50 gallon barrel down 1 degree.Anyone have any tricks to bring the temp down?ThanksMark 

The only thing I could suggest that doesn't cost $$$ is to bring your water inside the night before you plan to mix.

Not really a trick, more of a solution, but I use a drop in chiller for my mixing station in the garage during the summer. I got it used from another member on the forum pretty cheap. So far working out great. 

How are your alk and cal levels with the temp that high?  I'd think you'd be seeing considerable precipitation 

Using RPM I'm getting Zero precip.  Alk is 9.3.  This is leaving my pH a little low, so I'm raising alk to 10 to get the pH up above 7.8 hopefully.

Same here with RPM, my water temp in the garage yesterday was 98, definitely time to start using the chiller! My mixing barrel is half the capacity of yours.

My water temp in the 50 gallon drum will cool down over night to 80 so I do my water change early morning during the summer months. 

I'll check the temp in the morning. I looked into chillers.  It's an option, but an expensive one. Hard to figure out how large also.

I'm still chasing the pH.  It's at 7.75.dKH is 11.5Ca is 450. I've been dosing with 2 part.  Should I continue to raise the alk?ThanksMark

I think you are still referring to your newly mixed saltwater.  One thing I did to mine to help keep the water "fresh" was add an air stone that runs 24/7.  I bought an air pump that has 2 outputs and then put one in each of my mixing Brutes.  The "fresh" air helps raise the pH and will do a lot more if you can actually pull air from outside of you house/garage.  The pH in my tank will drop at least 0.10 in pH if I turn off my skimmer.  I have noticed with my family on vacation, my tank pH runs between 8.35 to 8.50 and when they are home, 8.15 to 8.30.  All that extra breathing in the house makes a difference.  It is crazy to watch it drop down to 7.8 when I have a party!

I am talking about the 200 gal tank.  The pH is 7.85 and doesn't want to come up much.When you mentioned the skimmer I checked it and found the pump was clogged up.  Fixed it.Also,  I am alone for the next 4 days.  I'll find out if the CO2 is really a factor.I'm using 2 part.  Since the Calcium is high enough I think I will just add the alk part for a few days and see what happens.

If you skimmer/tank is close to a window, try running the air intake of your skimmer outside.  It should help bring up the pH.  They also have some CO2 scrubber media you can place inline if you are not able to pull fresh air from outside.

Outside air is not really an option.  I'd have to drill a hole in the brick wall. Let's see what the weekend does with only myself here.  I'm still a little skeptical about the CO2 connection.  This house isn't that tight.