Total crash

nobody

Membership Expired
I went on a 7-day cruise and came back to a total tank crash [smilie=crying.gif] All of my fish and coral are gone!!! I think there was a storm in the Grand Prairie area that knocked power out for a few hours. When power came back, it managed to trip the circuit breaker that feeds the main pump. I made a mistake of having all 3 power heads (2 Tunzes and 1 Vortec) on the same breaker. So, no water movement, no oxygen and everything die!

Here's what my tank looked like before the crash:
[attachment=2]IMG_1169.JPG[/attachment]

What it looked like yesterday:
[attachment=1]IMG_1226.JPG[/attachment]

About 2/3 of the SPS skeleton. The Tyree tri-color is about 1/2 of the basketball size. My blue tort is almost the size of the basketball. All gone!
[attachment=0]IMG_1228.JPG[/attachment]

I guess it's time to rebuild anew! Any suggestion on where to "cook" the rocks (in tank or in tubs)?

Sorry to hear you lost everything. That must have been horrible to come back to.

I am guessing you had a low nutrient system given the SPS colonies you've got so I would think you could just cook/cure the rock in tubs to leach out anything they may have taken in and to clear out die off. Of course, if you want to start fresh quickly, you could always just acid wash all the rock.

Let me know when you've got your system up and running again and I'll get you setup with some free frags to get you going. There's also our frag swap in mid-September.

How awful! So sorry to see this, Khoa. I'll be happy to get you some frags as well.

Thats terrible. I don't have much in the way of show stopping stonies, but would be happy to frag you a couple when you get back up and running. Just let me know.

Sorry to hear that you lost everything, must be a really bad feeling and something I think about every time we go out of town. The Apex controller keeps me from worrying since I have some control while on the road. I also have a person come over every other day to feed and check on the tanks.

man, that sucks. sorry to hear. you had a great looking tank, im sure it will be just as good or better when you rebuild.

Thank you all for your kind words and condolences. It's really upsetting to lose everything in just a week worth of time. 10 years in the hobby and I've never been hit this hard! The only up side is now I have quite a bit of CA reactor media to use!

@washingtond wrote:
Sorry to hear that you lost everything said:
Yeah, I should have hired/asked to have someone look over the tank while I'm out. I have the Apex and it is on Fusion, but being on the cruise is meant to be disconnected from the real world, so it hit hard with no tank sitter! The next time I'm out of town, I'll definitely have someone check on the tank every other day!

wow you hear people talk about their tanks crashing, nothing like actually seeing it. I myself had one like that on my last tank move, lost everything but one fish. Good thing, we have lots of members that will help you restock it back up.

@ReefGod wrote:
wow you hear people talk about their tanks crashing said:
The scene was heartbreaking. The smell of a rotten tank was unbearable. The silent of the tank without any pump or fan running was unreal! 10 years in the hobby and 1 circuit breaker wiped out everything! Having a group like this is why I'm still in the hobby. I sure hope when my tank is ready, I can ask members for live sand to seed and purchase corals from their established tanks.

wonder if we could put a link on the page that has a guest monitoring tab in it for people who need help monitoring and may not have someone they know near them....at least we could contact the house sitter and say they tank is in trouble go look and tell us what is going on?

I always have a tank sitter on every trip. They stop by daily to put a pair of eyes on the situation and hopefully make minor adjustments, and feed the fish. If the situation is bigger, they can text me or call me.

Khoa, many years ago a guy got a octopus has a hitchhiker and his thread blew up with subscribers. Everyone was excited and looked forward to his updates, but he went on a 10 day vacation with promises to tell us how things developed later. Well, during that time a hose popped off his RO/DI system and shot water directly into the circuit breaker panel of the house killing all power. When he got home, it was like your situation with the pungent smell of death and a tank full of black water. Years of SPS colonies were dead. He posted pictures of his sidewalk filled with coral skeletons. How could he ever predict that outcome?! I always turn off the RO system at the source once it is pressurized, to avoid yet another point of failure.

Again, so sorry for your losses and for the eerie feelings you are dealing with now. A silent house is unpleasant to me too. I like the hum. But I'm a reef addict.

@Marc wrote:
I always have a tank sitter on every trip. They stop by daily to put a pair of eyes on the situation and hopefully make minor adjustments said:
Silence is bad but I found out smoke detectors not good either when my ozone gen caught my house on fire, luckily the fire self extinguished by the lack of oxygen and I got home 2 hours later to air out and get tank going.

Luckily my son is out of the Marines and has tanks himself and comes daily to check on mine , as I too go on cruises when your out of touch.