Too many water changes?

Hookem2006

Premium Member
So I am running a mixed reef in a 28 gallon RedSea Reefer nano. It has a 21 gallon display and 7 gallon sump. I've been reading a lot about the chemical warfare that can go on between LPS, SPS and softies. I run chemipure blue in my filter sock 24/7, so I suppose the carbon in that can absorb some of the toxins. The coral in my tank is by no means mature yet, still a bunch of small frags. In the interest of keeping the water super clean for the SPS, I was wondering if one can perform too many water changes?

In the past I ran larger tanks and never had issues with toxins. I ran dosing pumps to keep the levels stable. On this new nano, the cabinet doesn't provide the necessary space to mount dosing pumps.

I'm wondering if changing 5 gallons 2 times a week would just be over kill, or worth it? I also run a PSK75 skimmer that I am not too happy with, but it skims ok. Just don't get super dark dry skim like I am used to with my other setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on if you are feeding the corals. The corals need nutrients so you need to make sure you are not stripping them away.

That is part of my concern. I don't want to take too much away, but I do like to feed. I feed reef energy a+b nightly along with some marine snow and LRS-frenzy. Every other day I add a bit of BRS Reef Chili. I'm probably over feeding to be honest. But I want to have very colorful coral. So I know I need to keep the water clean.

I use RedSea coral pro salt and light the tank using an AI Prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue with my water being too clean and all of my coral were just surviving, but weren't thriving. What I discovered is, my 2ply felt filter socks were completely stripping every single micro particle in the water column. The coral were hungry, even though I dosed like crazy. My OCD told me to run these particular filter socks to have the "cleanest water possible". I did and it was too clean. I switched to mesh filter socks that only trap larger particles and my tank immediately reacted in a positive way. Everything started growing and looking happy again.

@Mike R wrote:
I had a similar issue with my water being too clean and all of my coral were just surviving said:
I bought felt socks but didn't like them either, they do catch too much stuff seems like, but my main gripe with them is washing... On the other hand I can hand wash my mesh sock in the sink with water only, let it dry for a day and have it ready for service again.