Titus's 110 in-wall

@kuyatwo wrote:
[I]@mukymuk wrote:[/I][quote="Very interesting use of materials. I used wood said:
planet aquarium uses reg aquarium silicone to bond the glass to PVC bottom.

I was at their location watching them build a tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"]

Do you consider this a bad thing?

I dunno I never owned one before. AGE uses a bonding material and uv light to cure it not silicone where glass and PVC meet.

We won't find out long term effects as planet aquariums just started making PVC bottom tanks for couple years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, this is exactly the issue I'm curious about. Silicone doesn't create a structural bond with PVC and other plastics, but the joint can be constructed in such a way that it doesn't need to. It simply provides a compression seal.

@mukymuk wrote:
Yes said:
they don't create a channel joint they just lay the glass on the PVC like a glass aquarium if that is what your wondering

Armando was a builder for Oceanic and AGE so surely he knows something we don't. I sent him an email about it to address it since he built mine. So far the quality is as good as I've seen by anyone else out there but it does concern me a little.

Getting things back to the build, here is a new picture. The tile grout in the filter room has been sealed, the sump stands are done, the Reef Octopus has been assembled, and the new Mag12 has found its home.
20120414113524.jpg
alt="">

Finding a glass shop near me that will cut my baffles has been a real pain. I found a couple online places that would do it but they wanted about $60 for 3 pieces once S/H is added in. Being that I see many people online talking about local shops doing for them for MUCH cheaper, I was not willing to pay that much. Then I started to call around. First shop said $100 minimum order. Second shop said $125 minimum order. Finally the third places I called said they would cut me 3 pieces for $10/ea. While still more than what I have heard others paid, it still seemed down-right reasonable compared to everything else I had found so I said yes. That was over a week ago, and he still hasn't actually gotten around to doing it. [smilie=sadsmile.gif]

In other news, I bought a used AC3 from rckrzy1 (Thanks again for shipping it so I didn't have to drive across the metroplex for it!), and I have some new probes, a bucket of Instant Ocean, a Seachem Marine Basic Multi Test kit, and a couple other misc items on order from Marine Depot. I believe I am quickly approaching $1k spent with them on this build. [smilie=lipssealed.gif]

As I go over my list of things I will need to get things up and running, I think that I am down to heaters, sand, and rock. I am leaning toward running a pair of Jager 125w heaters, and I am considering dry rock and sand from Macrorocks. I am open to advice on both.

i am not a big fan of glass and after the stealth fiasco i have been running via aqua titanium heaters, very nice controls and on my tank with the apex, i just disabled the temp control part of it.

The PVC bottom will do just fine over time. I sell (sold) AGE, Deep Sea Aquatics and Planet Aquariums tanks and I have spoken to Tom (ran AGE) and Armando extensively regarding the pvc bottoms. PVC bottoms are not something that has just come around over the last couple of years…Armando was the custom builder of Oceanic for 17 years and built many tanks using pvc bottoms. There have not been any issues. He applies a special primer that allows the materials to bond. The end result it that the bond is STRONGER than silicone to glass. I am also very familiar with AGE's process as well and I am comfortable with both. Deep Sea Aquatics is also building pvc bottoms that are constructed similarly.

So for anyone who has purchased a Planet Aquarium tank with pvc bottom not to worry!

Might pm dvups1 on price of baffles or have planet aquariums cut you some

Not that hard to score and snap glass you usually can find used glass on Craigslist. There are even YouTube videos to show how to score and snap glass

So I ended up placing an order with BRS this morning. Andrew's post got me looking into titanium heaters and I ended up ordering a pair of Finnex 200W units. Their short length will make finding a home for them in the sump much easier. I also ordered a bunch of other little items including a Refractometer. As I was about to check out I realized I was about $40 away from the free shipping threshold, so I decided to add some dry rock to check out. I got 7lbs each of both the Pukani and the "Reef Saver” Eco Dry. I am interested in comparing them as I decide what rock I want to use and how much I end up ordering.

I am going to give the glass guy another call in the morning and try to figure out if he is going to come through or if I need to explore other options.

I think you'll be happy with the the reefsaver rock. It fit's together almost seamlessly--like working with legos. Ideal for your constrained dimensions.

@mukymuk wrote:
I think you'll be happy with the the reefsaver rock. It fit's together almost seamlessly--like working with legos. Ideal for your constrained dimensions. said:
After watching the youtube videos on the ability to aquascape the Pukani, along with reports that it is larger volume per lb has me really curious. Getting the same weight in Pukani and Reef Saver samples will allow me to compare the size/lb of them, and I can also compare the ability to modify them.

I talked to the glass guy today and he says I will be able to pick up the baffles tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. I guess it is also time to start reading up on how best to silicone them in to place.

A couple more updates...

Sump- I finally got my glass pieces and they look good. I plan on installing the center raised baffle this evening and will do the other 2 this weekend. I will take a pictures as they are installed.

AC3- I started playing around with the used AC3 and I am VERY happy I got it. Last night I got my initial programming in place and configured the email alarm to text message my phone. About this time, my wife had a kidney stone attack and we had to go to the ER. What hadn't occurred to me, is that with no probes hooked up, it thought my temp and ORP were both too low. It proceeded to send my text message every 30 minutes for the 7 hrs we were at the hospital! [smilie=rofl.gif]. This morning I set up the port forwarding on my router and can now also access and control it via AquaNotes on my android phone. One final note on Controllers... If you sell one used, it might be a good idea to wipe out all the old network info on it. I felt like I had walked in on someone changing clothes when I saw all of the previous owner's email addresses, logins, etc. [smilie=lipssealed.gif]

Display tank- Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. [smilie=clapping.gif]

Last night I got my sample rock in from BRS. I ordered 7lbs of Pukani and 7lbs of Reef Saver.

Here is the Reef Saver. They sent me 3 pieces. I like how easily it stacks and the price is great, but it looks almost engineered... like broken up aerated concrete.
20120420093033.jpg
alt="">

Here is the Pukani. It came in 4 pieces and looks really cool. It is noticeably lighter so I got more volume out of the 7lbs than the Reef Saver. While more expensive than the Reef Saver, it looks to me that the $/volume ratio for each is probably very similar. It doesn't stack as easily, but it isn't very difficult to stack either.
20120420093247.jpg
alt="">

While I reserve the right to waffle on any and all decisions, my gut tells me to buy more Pukani and place the Reef Saver sample in the Fuge.