Titus's 110 in-wall

About two weeks ago, my wife greenlighted an in-wall FOWLR aquarium. Things are moving pretty fast. The build will involve dividing our current oversized living room into a cozy living room and a home office with the tank wall separating them. I have settled on a custom 96" x 12" x 25" Planet Aquariums tank ordered through Rodney. It should be completed around 4/12. The contractor has been out and given us the wall estimate (along with some other work we are having him do). He is tentatively scheduled to start work on 4/18. The tank will be plumber through the new wall to an under-stairs closet where a refugium sump, skimmer, and pump will live. I will post more details and pictures as it I can.

3D model of the Room with tank wall:

0023dmodel.jpg
alt="">
0013dmodel.jpg
alt="">

Sump design:

sumpsetupv103p1.jpg
alt="">
sumpsetupv103p2.jpg
alt="">

Once the tank was ordered and construction dates set, I started work on the sump. I picked up a pair of 20g Long tanks from Petsmart for $32.99 each, and DFWMAS member reefstricken drilled one of the tanks for me and even through in a bulkhead. I also started work on stands for them. The taller back stand is done, but I still need to finish the stand for the front tank.

Sump tanks sitting in the sump room:

sump01.jpg
alt="">

I started ordering equipment a few days ago...

RODI- Typhoon.
In Sump pump- Mag12.
Skimmer- Reef Octopus 150
Lighting- Two 48" AquaticLife T5 HO 2x54
Lunar Lights- 6 3 LED TrueLumen 453nm Actinic Blue Lunar lights

I also picked up a Mag 9.5 used from froglegs that I plan on using for a closed loop.

I like your stand. You could put a car on that thing! Hard to beat 2x4 tank stands on price and durability.

You might consider putting 6+ mil poly down on the floor and up the walls to product your house.

@mukymuk wrote:
I like your stand. You could put a car on that thing! Hard to beat 2x4 tank stands on price and durability. You might consider putting 6+ mil poly down on the floor and up the walls to product your house. said:
Thanks... I think I went a little overboard... I bought 64 feet of premium 2x4s to build the 2 little stands. [smilie=rofl.gif]

As part of the remodel, the whole house in getting new floors... most will be hardwood but they are putting tile in the filtration closet. I was thinking of a sheet of acrylic and bolting it to the walls. Not sure yet. For starters, I am going to repaint the whole closet with something that I can take a sponge to. I am also wondering if I should put a vent in the wall with some PC fans to get some circulation.

Good idea on the tile in the closet.

You're definitely going to want some sort of air circulation especially if you have much power in there--lights, pumps, etc. PC fans might work but they are sensitive to humidity and their CFM falls off a lot against any resistance. Have them push dry air in if you can. A bathroom fan might be your best bet. Or just keep the door open.

I used outdoor acrylic paint in my garage that houses about 500 gallons. Some of it gets salt spray and I can sponge the walls down and it seems to work well.

OK... I found thisthat I think will be perfect for ventilation in the filter room. Eventually I will be getting a Apex lite, and I think I can set it up with a humidity sensor that will trigger the fan.

Thanks for the ideas!

@Titus wrote:
OK... I found [url=http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100047556/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053]this[/url]that I think will be perfect for ventilation in the filter room. Eventually I will be getting a Apex lite said:
apex doesn't have a humidity sensor. I think profilux does though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice fan. I might have a use for something like that. Not sure a humidity sensor is really necessary. The fan will be on all the time most likely.

@kuyatwo wrote:
[I]@Titus wrote:[/I][quote="OK... I found [url=http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100047556/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053]this[/url]that I think will be perfect for ventilation in the filter room. Eventually I will be getting a Apex lite said:
apex doesn't have a humidity sensor. I think profilux does though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"]
If I have read everything correctly, I can add the Neptune Breakout Box to the Apex, and then use something like this.

Nice work bench. It looks like he's got the joints taped up, is that right or is that something else? I'd like to see a close-up of the PVC bottom and glass joint.

Looking good!

@mukymuk wrote:
Nice work bench. It looks like he's got the joints taped up said:
From what I can tell, the base of the tank is actually marine plywood with the glass siliconed to it, then the pvc bottom is placed in and silicone is used to secure it to the plywood and glass. He mentioned that a second piece of PVC would be added to the bottom next.

On the right side of the tank, I had them drill 3 1" holes that will be used as a closed loop with a large SCWD wavemaker and a Mag 9.5. He was concerned that the multiple holes in such a small area could crack the glass, so that wall is actually a glass/PVC/Glass sandwich.

The left side of the tank is getting a coast to coast overflow. The purpose of my visit yesterday was to give him the bulkheads that will be used and discuss how I was constructing the stand. That way, he can drill the bulkhead holes as far over as possible while leaving the needed clearance for the stand and then place the overflow wall as far over as possible. All this will maximize the viable width of the tank and minimize the area that I need to hide with the molding that will frame the tank.

Also yet to be added is the trim and the support pieces that will be added to the top.

Very interesting use of materials. I used wood, acrylic, and glass in my design and joining the materials was a challenge. It impacted how I had to construct the tank considerably. I'd really like to see the solution he comes up with.

@mukymuk wrote:
Very interesting use of materials. I used wood said:
The tank will be delivered next week and I am less than 20 minutes from Murphy... You are welcome to come check it out once it is here.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4g using Tapatalk.

@mukymuk wrote:
Very interesting use of materials. I used wood said:
planet aquarium uses reg aquarium silicone to bond the glass to PVC bottom.

I was at their location watching them build a tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk