Testing Kit Problems - Water Comng Out of Vile

DGAM

Premium Member
I have the API test kits. They are the only ones I have ever tried. Newer to the hobby so this is my first round of test bottles.

Each time I test I have a problem! For testing Ca or Alk for example, I fill the vile to 5mL, put the first drop in, cap it, and when I take the cap off some of the water comes out so it's not exactly 5mL any more. Therefore it skews my results.

How do I keep all of the water in the vile? OR What other test kits or methods can I use so it's more accurate?

Anyone have experience with the high tech electronic test kits? I am hesitant to put the success of my tank in the hands of something automated and electronic but would love a better solution to this problem so am open to the idea.

I've been using the API kits for ammonia and nitrates, but haven't used them for Ca or Alk. Do you have to put the cap back on after adding the first test solution? For the ones I have you don't. I put in the drops from bottle #1, then from bottle #2, then put the cap on and shake it up and wait for the 5 minutes to pass...

Grant, Yes after each drop you have to put the lid on, shake, take the lid off, put another drop, put the lid back on, 24 times!! What brand do you use for Ca and Alk?

@DGAM wrote:
Grant said:
I'm pretty sure you don't have to shake it after each drop. I believe you need to put in all the drops from bottle #1, then cap the vial and shake it. You also need to shake bottle #2 before you use it, so I'd just shake both together. Then add all the drops from bottle #2, shake a second time, and wait the required time.

I just use my thumb over the vial. Honestly though, for the accuracy of the API kits a drop or two isn't going to make a difference. Not as fast to use, but I like the glass containers with the Red Sea kits because I can swirl them rather than shake up and down due to the shape of the glass.

Usually, the API test kits instructions will ask to add certain amount of drops and then cap and shake.

@DGAM wrote:
@Grant said:
I'm using API for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate tests. I have a Hanna checker for Alk. And right now I'm at work and can't remember what I have for Ca and Mg... but they're probably expired and need to be replaced. [smilie=itwasntme.gif]

I use the API kits during start up and rarely any time after that. For Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium, I use Salifert and Elos.