Tank Disaster Heater Malfunction GSP will Not Open

MartinMan

Premium Member
Woke up yesterday morning to a tank at 95 degrees due to a heater locking up.   Killed my Midas and Fox Face, two large Acan colonies. Have some small sps colonies bleaching and so far my GSP have not opened.  Funny thing my zoas and even my clam are all fine.  But I'm concerned about the GSP because I have a lot.  I have this very large forest of it that have literally taken over the tank and are always opened.  We are in the process of moving and up grading to a 75 gallon tank.  I was planing to start moving corals over tomorrow, now I'm not sure.   I've done a couple of big water changes and started running carbon.  Numbers are Zero nitrites, nitrates about 40 ammonia is about .25, probably from the Midas which I have not located yet. PH is 8.3 and Spec Gravity at .025.  The other fish look good.  Mostly concerned about my GSP. Any advise welcome

Dang so sorry to hear that!It sounds like your doing the right things. I would keep doing daily water changes to bring everything back in check.Hope the rest pulls through for you!

Thanks Chris.  Tank looked better today.  GSP starting to show a little green, but mostly purple mat.  I think the carbon helped.  Will do another 10 gallon WC tomorrow.  I had noticed a light sprinkle of ich on the Fox just before it died, but haven't seen anything on the other fish.  Everyone is eating, in fact the Yellow tang is picking at the dead flesh on the two acans.  Probably should get those out, I hate for the tang to aquire a taste for it.   Hate to stress the livestock with the move, but we have to do it Tuesday night.  I'm setting up a new FX6 over there tomorrow, and will move the FX4 I've been running with the dirty water on the old tank.  The old tank is well established running about 13 years. Will also use the dirty water in the old tank with a bottle of Dr. Tim's in both canisters hopefully avoiding a mini cycle.  I may post about this transfer in another thread.  I'm not sure what to do with the sand from the old tank, start fresh with new live sand or use the old sand.Thanks again for your response.

That'a good news, sounds like it will recover.You can re-use the old sand, I would just do a rinse on it first before moving to the new tank. If you have new sand already and don't want to deal with rinsing the old, I would just use the new sand.Keep us posted and good luck with the move!

Sorry if that was confusing, I wasn't referring to what water to rinse with. Just the level of effort for what sand you were going to use in the new tank. Either your OLD sand or some NEW sand. Marc has a good video on rinsing your OLD sand. If you don't want to clean your OLD sand, just use some NEW sand .https://youtu.be/Fb-3nnhRzZY