stocking discussion

scttwhtmr

Membership Expired
I am in the process of stocking my 72 gallon and would love to know what suggestions you have. I have 2 black ocellaris clownfish and a lawnmower blenny. As of right now I'm trying to decide what to do next. What are you favorite fish? If you were stocking this tank what would you put in it? I'm in no rush but I like hearing suggestions from other people. Thanks all for your input.

Their is alot of information we would need to know before giving advice. How long has your tank been running? Is this FOWLR or reef? What is your budget?

@digital_gods wrote:
Their is alot of information we would need to know before giving advice. How long has your tank been running? Is this FOWLR or reef? What is your budget? said:
I think the only thing which matters is the budget. What do you say?

@linda001 wrote:
[I]@digital_gods wrote:[/I][quote="Their is alot of information we would need to know before giving advice. How long has your tank been running? Is this FOWLR or reef? What is your budget? said:
I think the only thing which matters is the budget. What do you say?"]

While budget matters, I think that's the least important of the three questions when trying to figure out what to recommend. It doesn't matter what the budget is, it's money (and life) wasted if the new livestock dies or kills off other things in the tank.

As a employee large retailer, I could sell anyone all the fish they could afford at the time but I don't. Instead I work with every customer to find out what their end result goals are. I devise plans that work with their tank size, type and individuals skill levels. In the end, my goals is for every pet parent to have a healthy aquarium.

I intend to build a reef with my 72 bowfront. I have had the tank running for about 6 weeks now but I'm planning ahead. The ideas I'm looking for aren't neccesarily for tomorrows purchases. I'm not really concerned with the budget for the fish, I can purchase over time and save money to get what I need. I want to have fish in different strata of water. I currently have the lawnmower blenny at the bottom and the clownfish in the middle. I am intersted in getting colorful fish but most importantly I want fish that won't bother my corals and will be comfortable in the size tank I have. If you were stocking this tank what would you do?

Small school of Blue Green Reef Chromis, 6 line Wrasse, Royal Gramma Basslet, Flame Scallop, Maxi Mini Carpet Anemone, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Yellow Tang, Flame Angel. That would give your tank a variety of colors.

@digital_gods wrote:
Small school of Blue Green Reef Chromis said:
A Yellow Tang in a 72 gallon tank? Most of the time I have seen them suggested it has only been in a 6' tank. They get big and need the room to be able to move around.

Tim

I am starting a 75 and this will be my final stocking list

1 Clownfish Occelaris (already fully grown previous tank 2.5 years)
1 Royal Gramma (already fully grown from previous tank 2 years)
1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse Male
1 Purple Firefish
1 Green Chromis
1 Yellow clown goby
1 Pink Streaked Wrasse
1 Flame Angelfish

I have everything right now, except the flame angel which has to be added last, will be buying one in the next couple of weeks. All of this fish are 1.5 - 4 inches adult length, and I plan to keep them all as adults, they are all easy care and peaceful with the sole exception of the flame angel. I did a lot of research into this, and came up with that list, you could try that. The mccosker's flasher wrasse is absolutely beautiful, best fish I've ever had. I would also introduce the royal gramma right before the flame angel, grammas can be very territorial, specially when they are fat and fully grown like mine is.

You can probably get away with 1 or 2 more small fish for the stocking. I am considering a single anthias, or some cardinal type fish.

I would strongly advise against any tangs on a less than 5 foot tank, even tomini tangs get to 7, once you see one full grown for sale you realize how ridicolously big that is. I would also be incluned to advise against a school of chromis, while people have them in smaller tanks, have you ever seen one fully grown?, they get a quite big..., they also tend to kill each other over time.

I also would not get a six line they get agressive, the flasher wrasse is a much better choice imo.

I wouldn't recommend the flame scallop, it is very hard to take care of, I would start with only fish categorized as "easy" to care for.

Just my 2 cents.

@texasswangin214 wrote:
My 6 line was never aggressive towards fish or snails just crabs lol. Unfortunately he jumped out one day :( said:
That sucks :(, specially because yours was peaceful. You definitely need a tight fitting top when keeping wrasses, I built one myself with a window frame and the clear 1/4 inch netting they sell at marine depot, it works perfectly, it is light and allows for proper gas exchange while keeping everything inside the aquarium, it does not block light at all, neither do you see any shadow from the net.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am looking forward to getting everything stocked, it will just take time.

@Oscarmk wrote:
[I]@texasswangin214 wrote:[/I][quote="My 6 line was never aggressive towards fish or snails just crabs lol. Unfortunately he jumped out one day :( said:
That sucks :(, specially because yours was peaceful. You definitely need a tight fitting top when keeping wrasses, I built one myself with a window frame and the clear 1/4 inch netting they sell at marine depot, it works perfectly, it is light and allows for proper gas exchange while keeping everything inside the aquarium, it does not block light at all, neither do you see any shadow from the net."]
Yes I know I am going to do that for my big tank when it turns salt water, right now im saving money and I love my red tail and red tail shovelnose hybrid. The problem though is my 35g cube is rimless so there isn't really anywhere I can fit it to make it flush I dont want it just sitting on top.