Saltwater stores in the dallas area?

[I am just now getting back into the fray of salt water after a few years out. Here is a list I have been able to come up with. I have seen comments on some of the stores but not all. Any comments would be appreciated.

Aquatic Designs
Parker North of Alma on North side of road
972-423-0414

Dallas North Aquarium
2910 E Trinity Mills
972-492-6165

Saltwater Paradise
2742 North O’Connor Rd
Irving, North of 183 East of North Beltline Rd
972-258-7822

View of the Ocean
3808 Trailview Drive, Carrollton, TX 75007
(972) 939-8228

Boutique Pet Shop & Aquarium
9035 Garland Road, Dallas, TX 75218
(214) 321-1219

Saltwater Solutions
14015 North Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX 75234
(972) 406-0470

D-N-D Aquariums & Pet Shop
1610 Texoma Parkway, Sherman, TX 75090
(903) 870-1134

Windows To The Sea
3101 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, TX 75204
(214) 969-7387
(214) 219-2101 (fax)

Marine Life Aquarium Service
Irving, TX 75038
(972) 986-7526

Planet Pet Inc
512 Harwood Road, Bedford, TX 76021
N 183/121 east of brown trail road
(817) 285-8228
(817) 268-6633

Aquarium Environments
6955 Greenville
Corner of Park and Greenville]

[If you are going to add view of the ocean you have to add the marine center. (both are online only)

Pet City at audilla and walnut, is small but sells a little bit of reef stuff, sharks, rays, and a few other fish. IMO not worth the drive unless you are really close

Plano Pets 75 and springvalley or spring creek (can't remember)
Ditto the above but no sharks or rays

Sp aquariums Garland
have not been but been told it is small]

@Marc wrote:
[Maybe you mean Fish Paradise off Alta Mesa and Woodway? If you need it more specific than that said:
[That's a great store Marc! It takes alot to pry the benjamins out of my wallet for reef stuff these days, and I always walk out of there with something. The owner is a real nice guy to boot. Though SPS has never been a real emphasis item for him, for LPS and softies, I think he's got the best selection and best prices in the metroplex.]

[Amanda,

I just did a search on Super Pages using Pet Shops & Supplies as the category and McKinney, TX as the starting point then just went down the list and picked out ones that looked like they would have salt-water stuff. Does D-N-D carry anything for marine? If so would it be worth the trip?]

[I have an aquatic design complaint. They don't label prices and when you ask they examine it like a diamond and give you a price. Not a fan of the no prices marked but here is my complaint.
3 days ago small regal tank 19.99 yesterday 29.99.
"" " 3 branch candy cane 15.00 yesterday 30.00

I like their store but something screwy is going on there..I know what guy to ask for lower prices that is for sure :)]

[HA- Well no please dont make the trip. I drive to DFW for all livestock purchases. They have 3 10g and one 55 with salt stuff. Very few fish, no coral, and most supplies expired a few years back. I only go of necessity and they know me so they order me new stuff, sometimes at great prices. Usually I run down to Aquatic Design just because it is closest but I think I'll give the other one in Plano a shot next. Are they any good?
Amanda :p]

[What other one in Plano? I know there use to be one on Legacy and Coit but they are long gone. Is there one I do not know about?]

@DuaneD wrote:
[[I]@Marc wrote:[/I][quote="Maybe you mean Fish Paradise off Alta Mesa and Woodway? If you need it more specific than that said:
That's a great store Marc! It takes alot to pry the benjamins out of my wallet for reef stuff these days, and I always walk out of there with something. The owner is a real nice guy to boot. Though SPS has never been a real emphasis item for him, for LPS and softies, I think he's got the best selection and best prices in the metroplex.]"]
[Duane,

When you get a chance, try the store again. He's added a lot of SPS to his store (at least 3 new tank's worth). And I was told they will be moving to a new location off McCart within the next 6 months. (Not even a minute away from where they are now, btw)]

[Hey Mitch,

I have found the same thing there. Who is the best person to ask? Do you have a name or maybe a description? I asked about a small brown mushroom rock the other day and the guy said $35. I know I am just starting out so do not have a ton of experiace but that seemed awful high. I also asked about the "tank bred" false percs and one day on guy said $19 and a few days later $21.]

[SALT,

Don't pay Aquatic Design a dime for a mushroom. I'll give ya more than you want for free. Just drop me a line...

Duane

BTW, I'm in Plano...]

[The one from mmiller's post called Plano Pets. Is it still there or any good?
As for Aquatic Design I have never seen fish prices listed. They do have a small sign for some shrimp and snail prices. Their seaweed selects are priced more than double of any other LFS I have been to and I have seen quite a few other things way overpriced there. Most of the tanks have some aiptaisia whenever I am there. I think they just make prices up as they go along because I have had the same experience with something being 20 one day and 35 another.
Just my .02 of course!]

[Amanda,

:blush: OOPs, went back through the post and found what you were talking about.

I use to go to Plano Pets when it was on Ave K but did not know about the move so I thought it was gone. As I remember it was fish only back then but then again so was I so I was not looking for corals and stuff. I go right by it on the way to work (that's if it is on Spring Creek and not Spring Valley). From what I re-read it does not sound to great but I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what I think.]

[Aquatic Design....the rollercoaster of pricing. went yesterday to get some hose (the same hose I bought 3 months ago 10' 5$$) this time 12' 19.80. I go, to catch the right guy, to make the right deal....and its close to my work.

As for PLano Pet, I went 2 weeks ago....very small selection, but all looked healthy (also still setting up) I bought a cleaner shrimp for 7 bucks, he going strong in tank.

same shrimp at DNA would have required my gold card/not cash]

[Well Tpeck I got real excited about that shrimp for 7 bucks! Unfortunately I called there today and they have smartened up cause cleaners are 19.99. :(]

[Well let me second that Amanda,

Cleaner shimp for $7 was on my list for today, but when I stopped by, $19, oh well at least I am glad to see someone was lucky and had good deal.

Hey Tpeck I will give you $10 for it. :D

As far as the selection goes that had about 15 or so display tanks up and running, Mostly fish and they did not look that great. They had some live rock with some coraline but no other signs of life and one tank with some mushrooms and couple of softies. They did have the cleaner shimp and one camel back. A few differant species of snails. Some red leg hermits (not scarlet) but that was about all. As it has been said it looks like they are just getting things going so hopefully in a few months things will improve and we will have another resource to feed our addiction.

Just for yuks I did stop by Aquatic Designs also. They must have just received a shipment of fish cause the tanks were packed. They has some the smallest baby clown triggers I had ever seen. There was a great looking coral beauty about and inch and half long, $30. They has some clarkiis for $15 and just about all of the other typical stuff. I did over hear one of the staff telling someone that they could cycle thier tank with damsels (they had ton of those) and that the fish really do not mind. I bit my tounge and walked out. What really bugged me is the guy was saying shouldn't I just buy some rock and wait a while, but the staffer said to just go with both. Poor damsels :(]

[Went back to aquatic design to pick up a electronic temp display that was quoted to me last week for 29 This week it was 39 I asked him to ask the owner and he yelled out to him "these are 39 right" (I said ask, not TELL, the owner was the one who told me 29 last week go figure...).So I left it, I can get the same online for $20.
I have had my eye on a copperband for two weeks (i work close and have stoped by everyother day since I caught the bug) Anyways the same fish has been 29 39 and 49. I guess the next 29 dollar quote I get I will buy.

Someone mentioned aiptasia, I asked what they do about it and was told they don't worry about it too much. It was a kid no the owner but not the most reassuring piece of data. They have it in most of there tanks. I also noticed a coral beauty had ick. The aptasia is not the worst most of there tank are heavly infested with bubble algae. Out of 5 or six "brains" they got in last week all but 1 is bleached out.

My last complaint; I bought a sally lightfoot crab and they rang it up for 8.99 instead or 7.99. They had already swiped my card when I noticed. I told the kid "what happened?" he said he rang it up correct. I had to drag him to the big sign that said 7.99 (they do have signs for snails, crabs, and shrimp). I asked what he was going to do becasue he tried to blow me off like it was no big deal. I told him to throw in a hermit and we could be even and he was like they are 3.99. He said he would owe me credit so next time I come in he will remember (like that will happen). I gave him a crazy look and stomed out (I am practicing being nice). I should have told him to throw in the hermit and when I seen him next I would give him the 2.00 :) If anyone should be out of pocket it should not be the customer. SO basically they got over on me. It won't happen again!! This is not the first time I suspected I was being charged more than what I quoted. They don't give you a reciept either unless you pay with CC and then you just get the total. If this was not the only decent store (notice I said decent not great or even good) in my area I would not go back.

One positive , I was told if you buy there kent products they will refill it for half price..that is kinda cool (the price is double online prices but what the hay) They also do free water tests. So if you don't have all your test kits yet and live close...]